• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by kibo View Post
    Legit...
    Dunno about Hendry as he retired too early maybe...
    Hendry was nowhere near the same player by time he retired - he was still a threat and could raise his game against O'Sullivan in particular, but he wasn't winning tournaments, wasn't even getting past the early rounds. You could argue the same of Williams, but Hendry lacked the tools for the modern game.

Thankfully, his much-vaunted comeback was smashed to bits when he was soundly beaten at the world seniors last season.
    Last edited by gavpowell; 7 May 2018, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GeordieDS
    replied
    Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
    Sight Right it is boys! Sight Right...
    Steve Feeney's Mrs is in for a treat tonight....

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Great final. Probably in my top 5, the only one i've really got into since higgins/trump. Second entry in my top 5 for Williams, alongside his last win against Matthew Stevens. Still waiting for a final to knock 1994 off my top spot, I'd love to see a youngster come through and beat someone like ROS 18-17

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Higgins was as tough as stone but i think he was getting more nervous once there was option for him to go to front..
    Some mental scars and/or too big desire to win it stagnated him a bit i guess...
    This is always a critical point. If you feel you've got nothing to lose - i.e. being 7-14 behind - there's less pressure and it's easier to play.

Leave a comment:

• ken147
    replied
    Well done Mark on your 3rd World title. So when is the naked post match interviews? 8-P

Leave a comment:

• kibo
    replied
    Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    It's the almost - he should have smashed them all to bits by now!

But it's not a criticism that gets raised about him much these days anyway - especially after this season!
    Legit...
    Dunno about Hendry as he retired too early maybe...

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    -Breaking almost all the records possible
    -Underachiving

That is as ridiculous as opinions that Selby isnt talented....
    It's the almost - he should have smashed them all to bits by now!

But it's not a criticism that gets raised about him much these days anyway - especially after this season!

Leave a comment:

• Sparks147
    replied
    2018 World Championship

amazing.

well deserved for mark!

Leave a comment:

• kibo
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    A great final, but over the last few years I don't have many complains regarding them anyway. Though I wished this year's final would have had more tactical battles.
    I'm just pleased that I got the chance to see those two legends playing the most important match in Snooker against each other.

As I stated before I would be happy to see John Higgins maybe get to 5 World titles once. But right now I'm just delighted that Mark Williams won his third. If you would have told me this one year ago I wouldn't have believed it. And as some others I've always felt that 2 World titles were not enough for Williams.

When Mark led 12-7 I wrote that I couldn't see Higgins coming back to win this. But boy, he made it close. Some incredible clearances, showing his usual bottle. But so did Williams. Others would have broken under the pressure of giving a 14-7-lead away and finding themselves leveled at 15 suddenly. But he stayed calm and composed and fully deserved this moment of glory.

Congratulations Mark Williams!

But also congratulations John Higgins for giving us a great match. 7 World Finals and it may not have been his last.
    Higgins was as tough as stone but i think he was getting more nervous once there was option for him to go to front..
    Some mental scars and/or too big desire to win it stagnated him a bit i guess...
    Last edited by kibo; 7 May 2018, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr_Doctor
    replied
    As a big fan of Williams this is like a fairy tale for me (and for him I'm sure).

I've heard a few discussions of Selby having surpassed Williams in the all time greats but I think this win would put Williams back more firmly above Selby for now. :P

Leave a comment:

• kibo
    replied
    Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
    Indeed. People often say that Ronnie has under achieved but out of the class of 92 I'd say Williams has. Him being the last player to win the triple crown in a season wasn't a fluke, it's great to see him back where he belongs.
    -Breaking almost all the records possible
    -Underachiving

That is as ridiculous as opinions that Selby isnt talented....

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    What a final congratulations to Williams but well played Higgins a superb match.

Leave a comment:

• crocodile
    replied
    Well, Mark made it in the end - full credit to him for keeping his nerve after missing that pink. For a moment I was beginning to think he might just snatch defeat from - literally - the jaws of victory ....

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    A great final, but over the last few years I don't have many complains regarding them anyway. Though I wished this year's final would have had more tactical battles.
    I'm just pleased that I got the chance to see those two legends playing the most important match in Snooker against each other.

As I stated before I would be happy to see John Higgins maybe get to 5 World titles once. But right now I'm just delighted that Mark Williams won his third. If you would have told me this one year ago I wouldn't have believed it. And as some others I've always felt that 2 World titles were not enough for Williams.

When Mark led 12-7 I wrote that I couldn't see Higgins coming back to win this. But boy, he made it close. Some incredible clearances, showing his usual bottle. But so did Williams. Others would have broken under the pressure of giving a 14-7-lead away and finding themselves leveled at 15 suddenly. But he stayed calm and composed and fully deserved this moment of glory.

Congratulations Mark Williams!

But also congratulations John Higgins for giving us a great match. 7 World Finals and it may not have been his last.

Leave a comment:

• jimev
    replied
    For how good williams is, 2 was never enough. Chuffed to bits that he's done it. Selby is chomping at the bit to win it again

Leave a comment:

Working...
X