No announcement yet.

English Open 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's interesting, in all the time I've been watching snooker, I don't think Eurosport have ever put two former players together in commentary before. :smile:

Comment

• Good match this between Maguire and Bingham.

Then if Mark Davis plays well tonight, I don't think Ronnie will have it all his own way.
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        I have wondered what happens after incidents
        I assume there would be a debrief and maybe senior referees and maybe the Rules committee may discuss.
        There are meetings held every so often with EASB members (and others) where scenarios and results are discussed/assessed and if appropriate a change is drafted and then agreed with the Rules Committee, then published.
        What they need to do is start standing near the shot, not way behind the player, how can they see any problem from that far away ??

Comment

• whats the beef between maguire and bingham?

Comment

• Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
            whats the beef between maguire and bingham?
            from the interview it sounds like Maquire does not want to come out to play with Bingham anymore, he has other friends now :wink:
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              What they need to do is start standing near the shot, not way behind the player, how can they see any problem from that far away ??
              This was the ref's possition just before the shot:

And this was her possition just after:

AFAICS she had a clear line of sight to the incident and so should have called it. You'd have to have pretty poor vision to miss a ball moving a few inches from that distance.

-
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• As for this debate, if O'Sullivan knew he was touching the red, of course we can't know. Usually I'd think that the player would have to notice it. I'm pretty sure I would. But I'm far from a professional. Maybe there were some circumstances, maybe he was soo concentrated, that he really didn't notice. In dubio pro reo I guess.
                It's really bitter for Luo though.

Comment

• Any ideas why Stuart Bingham and Stephen Maguire don't like one another? Had never heard about that one before.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                    if as a player you truly didn't see this, then at least offer to stand down and bow out of the tournament gracefully.

I don't know how anyone could go further in the competition knowing they had unfairly won a frame that was pivotal in the match and influenced the outcome. Say he goes on to win, that's not a trophy I could feel pleased with.

If anyone feels that is over the top, then the least I would expect is for him to give half the winnings to charity as a good will gesture for an honest missed foul.
                    I see where you're coming from, but come on lol, compare it with say football, where a clear penalty opportunity is denied by the referee etc, YES, he clearly fouled, but the ref didn't call it, if he really didn't see it at the time (maybe believable?) then who's really to blame? Things like this happen in sport all the time.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                      As for this debate, if O'Sullivan knew he was touching the red, of course we can't know. Usually I'd think that the player would have to notice it. I'm pretty sure I would. But I'm far from a professional. Maybe there were some circumstances, maybe he was soo concentrated, that he really didn't notice. In dubio pro reo I guess.
                      It's really bitter for Luo though.
                      Most players were in a situation where you play your mate and he insists that you fouled and you for the love of god cannot see how.

Most of the players also would have a brain freeze where they have fouled and for some reason have not owned up to it. It may be 1 in a 100000 but it does happen.

It would be interesting to know what happened here. Bear in mind that Ronnie does have awkward interviews more often then not so cannot just tell from that.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                        Sorry, but I don't see how O'Sullivan could have possibly missed that foul. Even if he didn't see it, which I doubt, you'd feel the contact through the cue.

-
                        Wrong, cue was in the rest at the time and it was a quick glancing contact that moved the red a couple of inches. If the cue wasn't in the rest he would have felt it and called it himself.

Originally Posted by Guitarnolife View Post
                        Well I think it was all about the rest. Cause when your lifting the rest and the cue you might lift the cue just a little stronger force than the rest and that way it's possible you kind of tremble the cue against the rest and can't recognize that you actually hit a ball with your cue. Especially if you're in a hurry like Ronnie was. Also some of the interaction between the cue and the red is transmitted to the rest. And due to its thickness and solid metal head, I'd say it's quite good absorber of impact.

In addition, I'm not sure why he would start cheating now because he's been in a lot tougher and more significant occasions than that and still admitted his fouls.

So I think Ronnie was being honest in his post match interview saying he didn't notice it at all and that he is feeling awful because of whats happened.
                        As the man says here, the cue was in the rest at the time.

BTW nothing came from the opponent who obviously didn't see anything either, I didn't see it as it happened as I was also watching the object ball, as a ref I wouldn't have been watching the object ball and I'm sure I would have seen it as I wouldn't have been standing behind the player as I'm old school when it comes to referees positioning: keep still and the player doesn't notice you, stand back from the table adjacent to the black spot so you're covering both corner pockets and can keep up with either players flow and not keep them waiting by walking around behind them after every pot red and walking around from behind them to spot the colour and walk around behind them again for the next pot red.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Marc Davis done well to get 2 nice sponsors, Parris and Taom.
                          Last edited by Nifty50; 20 October 2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                            Wrong, cue was in the rest at the time and it was a quick glancing contact that moved the red a couple of inches. If the cue wasn't in the rest he would have felt it and called it himself.
                            I disagree. The cue and rest were in motion as one, sliding to the side, no way you could not feel that contact, let alone see it or hear it.

-
                            The fast and the furious,
                            The slow and labourious,
                            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• So, is Mark Davis playing as well as the scoreboard says? I didn't fancy Ronnie winning today after the cheat allegations

Comment

• Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
                                So, is Mark Davis playing as well as the scoreboard says? I didn't fancy Ronnie winning today after the cheat allegations
                                He's playing good solid stuff - Ron's a bit at sea.

Comment

Working...
                                X