2018 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ramalama View Post
    Those Aramith balls are destroying the amateur game of snooker imo . Our local league - top division , 14 teams - lists 18 breaks above 30 after 10 rounds . Only 3 breaks above 40 . So that's 280 frames of snooker played with 18 breaks over 30 , highest 51.

It's shoite - all clubs are playing with the Aramith pro tourney balls or the 1G rubbish . Thick contacts on fine shots and just plain inconsistency of contact . These balls are not designed for real snooker tables , and make a mockery of fine cueists but they don't seem to realise it.

15 years ago that number of breaks would have been done in two rounds .

I go down to my local club for solo practice regularly- like to try and iron me many faults out , if I do a few line ups with the pro tourney Aramiths I get a few medium size breaks and an occasional 80+. Take my own SC down then I usually take about 1 line up to get going then knock a couple clearances or big tons in . Can't do that with the silly Hearn garbage balls . I'm in my 60's so I've played for forty + years and I've never seen the game in such a **** state . No wonder the local leagues are shrinking .

I get fed up even writing about it. When did it all go wrong? ?
    Not to be harsh but your local league just isn't of a very good standard regardless of the balls used. Funnily enough I played on the star last night using Aramith balls and played superbly then had half a dozen frames on another table using SC's and made 88 (missed on the max) and 70, yes it took a couple of frames to adjust to the balls but 280 frames played and 18 breaks of 30+ is due to standard not just playing conditions. Balls used might be an excuse but not that good of one.
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

• People making a big thing about Mark potting balls with his eyes shut tell me they don’t know much about what goes into potting. Neither do I to be honest, but while it’s certainly unusual to do it (and once the shot has been aligned correctly) even I know the pot is no more difficult just because his eyes are closed. It’s merely done as a test of his cueing, and if that’s sound you don’t reallly need your eyes once the shot has been lined up.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• All hail the king …...the pretender has been beaten .

More like a mauling , was expecting a bit more from Jack Lisowski .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Who would expect 3 centuries from Maguire after 0-4 at the interval? Great match now

Comment

• Wouldn't be surprised if the supposed best prospect of the last16 turned out to be the least exciting match of the round. :wink:

Meanwhile, superb stuff from Maguire on the other table to pull it back to 4-3.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
              Wouldn't be surprised if the supposed best prospect of the last16 turned out to be the least exciting match of the round. :wink:

Meanwhile, superb stuff from Maguire on the other table to pull it back to 4-3.
              He's battering him, isn't he? I suppose that's what can happen when you put a bruiser like Maguire on the ropes.

You wouldn't have even dreamt of saying so just ten minutes ago, but these are worrying times for Mark.
              Last edited by Billy; 5 December 2018, 03:21 PM.
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Why has Murphy suddenly turned into Clive Everton?? Ten minutes ago he decided to stop using his normal speech pattern and adopt that annoying matter-of-fact tone where the voice rises at the end of each sentence.

Comment

• Stephen Maguire is playing on god mode at the moment. Very rarely seen anyone play this well, hope he doesn't flinch as the winning line comes near.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                    Why has Murphy suddenly turned into Clive Everton?? Ten minutes ago he decided to stop using his normal speech pattern and adopt that annoying matter-of-fact tone where the voice rises at the end of each sentence.
                    yeah I noticed that as well.

Comment

• Oh Stephen what have you done. As I thought he might, flinched at the winning line. Can't see Williams losing this now.

Either way, what a match!

Comment

• Originally Posted by RaveDave View Post
                        yeah I noticed that as well.
                        Good. I'm getting super-cynical in my old age. feared it was just me.

Comment

• That'll teach me. When Maguire potted that last red into the middle I switched channels because I don't like to see my favourite players going out. Five minutes later I switch back to catch the interview and Mark's levelled. What the hell happened??

Comment

• What a fantastic match. Best match of the tournament so far for me.

Comment

• Williams is OUT.

Comment

• I have this ridiculous belief I can influence a match by watching/not watching - I probably need psychological help - so when Mark levelled at 5-5 from nowhere it was, in my mind, because I'd switched channels and wasn't watching it. I kept doing the same thing throughout that decider and it seemed to be helping Mark. But then when Maguire lost position on the final red I made the mistake of sticking with the game as I could see no other shot than a safety... and he knocks in a double to take the match!

Sorry, Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X