Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Well Carter is playing ok ehh
    When watching Guodong v Sijun last night it looked to me that Guodong was suffering from the magnitude of the occasion, it's the same tonight but his opponent on this occasion is seasoned enough to just mop it up!
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

McManus was in with him the other day, there was a spell where Alan simply said "yep" every time Yates said something. I am sure he had given up listening to what he was saying. Out of curiosity I searched Phil Yates on twitter earlier and it is all just complaints about his commentary.

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
        McManus was in with him the other day, there was a spell where Alan simply said "yep" every time Yates said something. I am sure he had given up listening to what he was saying. Out of curiosity I searched Phil Yates on twitter earlier and it is all just complaints about his commentary.
        Thank the Lord we have Clive and Alan on now! Glad it's not just me, but was finding his pointless verbal diahorea taxing. I'd much rather listen to JV than him.

Good people in the box:-
        McManus
        Hendry
        Clive
        Jimmy
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          Thank the Lord we have Clive and Alan on now! Glad it's not just me, but was finding his pointless verbal diahorea taxing.
          PY is awful, granted, but CE is no better for me. I know he's one of the 'originals', but all CE does is explain the shot we've just watched. Player pots black and cannons a red off the cushion. CE: "Carter safely pots the black and negotiates a handy cannon on the awkward red." Player pots a red and goes in-off. CE: "Great pot from Trump but unfortunately for him the white finds the middle pocket."

Yeah, thanks, Clive. Great commentary for the blind.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
            PY is awful, granted, but CE is no better for me. I know he's one of the 'originals', but all CE does is explain the shot we've just watched. Player pots black and cannons a red off the cushion. CE: "Carter safely pots the black and negotiates a handy cannon on the awkward red." Player pots a red and goes in-off. CE: "Great pot from Trump but unfortunately for him the white finds the middle pocket."

Lol! I guess "tone of voice" might be a key, somehow anything Clive says doesn't cut too deep... Couldn't tell you what he just said in that last session, but it was a reprieve from Yates crap.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

When watching Guodong v Sijun last night it looked to me that Guodong was suffering from the magnitude of the occasion, it's the same tonight but his opponent on this occasion is seasoned enough to just mop it up!
              A right hammering tonight

Comment

Haha yeah Clive has this kind of slow gentle mumble that is fairly easy to tune out. Every now and again he doesn't say anything for a while and I think maybe he has fallen to sleep.

Comment

HELLO FELLOW ENTHUSIASTS - Huge snooker fan, not a player myself but a massive sport fan in general. Watching the Grand Prix has for the first time opened my eyes to the real lack of 'interesting' and 'relatable' players around when Ronnie isn't there.

I'm not one to moan and love the sludgy tactical battles as much as the next fan but, the quality of play here has been way below par. The players don't smile, interact with the crowd (who to be fair have been really lifeless too) or generally show any personality. They meander around the baize with no spark or energy and it's hard to watch, specifically as i say, this weeks tournament.

Yes they've complained about table conditions which is fair, but something has to be done, someone needs to have a chat and tell them al to liven up, enjoy what they do, they have such a good life, show us that! It's entertainment after all. As much as they have a living to pay for, without the publicity on TV they would have less money to play for. And why wouldn't they put that first semi in the middle of the room and have a full crowd in/ Makes no sense to me personally.

Just little things like that seem really sketchy from Hearn and the quickfire slap-dash nature of tour now.

Fricking love the game but the new crop just don't have the application or care anymore to put the hours in practicing. That's not to say they don't practice hard, just seems like never enough. I dunno man, just felt the need to sign up to my first ever forum on anything and get these niggle out in true 21st century style on the internet to strangers!

Comment

You need to watch this Billy ( if never seen? ) to understand why Clive is accepted. He is so awkward and nerdy and the way Alex focuses on him when talking just makes him lovable to me. I think you'll agree he has come a long way....

https://youtu.be/ZYo2mfl7_oI
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Jacques-146 View Post
                      HELLO FELLOW ENTHUSIASTS - Huge snooker fan, not a player myself but a massive sport fan in general. Watching the Grand Prix has for the first time opened my eyes to the real lack of 'interesting' and 'relatable' players around when Ronnie isn't there.

I'm not one to moan and love the sludgy tactical battles as much as the next fan but, the quality of play here has been way below par. The players don't smile, interact with the crowd (who to be fair have been really lifeless too) or generally show any personality. They meander around the baize with no spark or energy and it's hard to watch, specifically as i say, this weeks tournament.

Yes they've complained about table conditions which is fair, but something has to be done, someone needs to have a chat and tell them al to liven up, enjoy what they do, they have such a good life, show us that! It's entertainment after all. As much as they have a living to pay for, without the publicity on TV they would have less money to play for. And why wouldn't they put that first semi in the middle of the room and have a full crowd in/ Makes no sense to me personally.

Just little things like that seem really sketchy from Hearn and the quickfire slap-dash nature of tour now.

Fricking love the game but the new crop just don't have the application or care anymore to put the hours in practicing. That's not to say they don't practice hard, just seems like never enough. I dunno man, just felt the need to sign up to my first ever forum on anything and get these niggle out in true 21st century style on the internet to strangers!
                      I know what you mean , not much life in this tournament .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                        Haha yeah Clive has this kind of slow gentle mumble that is fairly easy to tune out. Every now and again he doesn't say anything for a while and I think maybe he has fallen to sleep.
                        I should also say how much I liked Old Griff in the box, great knowledge subtle but wicked humour.

Nice example https://youtu.be/8hKpo-07gQc
                        Last edited by Cue crafty; 8 February 2019, 11:23 PM.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

You need to watch this Billy ( if never seen? ) to understand why Clive is accepted.
                          Wonderful

Alex Higgins... what can you say? He was playing shots in the 70s, on dead tables with iron balls, that not even today's players can pull off. Quite staggering. He had no right to pot any ball with his cue action, let alone the exhibition stuff. In fact you can't even say it was exhibition as he'd play like that during matches.

I don't dislike Clive Everton and his voice is certainly nostalgic... I'm just nitpicking. Like you say, infinitely preferable to Phil Yates. In an earlier match today when the player was approaching a century, he said, "Well, he's in what we call the 'nervous nineties'..." And I'm thinking, Phil, you've just made that up. No commentator has ever used the phrase 'nervous nineties' to describe a near century before now.
                          Last edited by Billy; 8 February 2019, 09:46 PM.
                          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                            I know what you mean , not much life in this tournament .
                            I agree, but do you not think in a strange way the lower level of form and many misses from these great players is a decent reminder of the level of skill required in this great game? I certainly take a little joy in seeing it's not that easy even for them.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I've heard players say countless times that it's difficult to perform when the atmosphere and crowd enthusiasm is lacking. This, I believe, is entirely what's to blame for the lack lustre vibe to this tournament. The players don't even get their own walk-on music at this one, and the venue is horrible. I don't know what looks worse, a big venue with empty seats, or a tiny venue full up.

Comment

Wonderful

Alex Higgins... what can you say? He was playing shots in the 70s, on dead tables with iron balls, that not even today's players can pull off. Quite staggering. He had no right to pot any ball with his cue action, let alone the exhibition stuff. In fact you can't even say it was exhibition as he'd play like that during matches.

I don't dislike Clive Everton and his voice is certainly nostalgic... I'm just nitpicking. Like you say, infinitely preferable to Phil Yates. In an earlier match today when the player was approaching a century, he said, "Well, he's in what we call the 'nervous nineties'..." And I'm thinking, Phil, you've just made that up. No commentator has ever used the phrase 'nervous nineties' to describe a near century before now.
                                The key to making Phil Yates' commentary bearable is to picture Alan Partidge talking everytime you hear him open his mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X