Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stony152
    replied
    It's really a matter of semantics. When listing such a player in a tournament just have James Cahill (nr) instead of James Cahill (a) and the problem is solved. He is a professional, but is not ranked.

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by richiet View Post
    He's an amateur because he hasn't got a professional tour card.
    I know, but I just don't think that makes any sense. Does he play matches on the professional tour? Does he play matches on the challenge tour? Is he trying to make a living playing snooker? I think the answer to all of those questions is yes, so by any standard definition of "professional athlete" he is one. Amateurs shouldn't be paid prize money to play sports.

Leave a comment:

• richiet
    replied
    Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    As I mentioned previously, this whole "amateur" thing is really dumb. Is he trying to make a living playing snooker? Yes. How the hell is he an amateur? If he really is an amateur he shouldn't get any money just like amateur golfers in professional tournaments don't get paid.
    He's an amateur because he hasn't got a professional tour card.

Leave a comment:

• stephenm2682
    replied
    Didn't ros complain last year of being tired too?

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    So in snooker "amateur" players pay entry fees to try to win prize money in professional tournaments. How ludicrous is that?
    I agree , makes a mockery of the word ' Amateur ' . I remember that Justin Rose got nothing for his exploits at The Open .

Leave a comment:

• richiet
    replied
    Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
    Just looked this up out of curiosity
    prize money for this year is shown below:[12]

Winner: £500,000
    Runner-up: £200,000
    Semifinal: £100,000
    Quarterfinal: £50,000
    Last 16: £30,000
    Last 32: £20,000

Last 48: £15,000
    Last 80: £10,000
    Televised highest break: £10,000
    Non-televised highest break: £1,000
    Total: £2,231,000

As an Amateur will James be allowed to recieve anything?
    I thought that. Strictly speaking he shouldn't be allowed to take any prize money.

Leave a comment:

• richiet
    replied
    Better in every category

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19213[/ATTACH]
    Except number of frames.

Who's going home?

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    But that's all that really counts. Maybe one in 100 experts would have picked Cahill to win that match. It's an amateur against the five times world champion and best player of the season.
    The level of play doesn't matter at all when considering a shock or an upset.

So it's definitely an upset by any legitimate definition.
    I think we might just have to agree to disagree on this one, Jim

Many people have said anyone can beat RO when his head isn’t in the right place, and if this isn’t proof of that I don’t know what is. It amuses me that people think this defeat will have annoyed RO. I’m not sure he could care less about it if he tried. If anything he’ll be getting a slight buzz from it.

Leave a comment:

• Tim65
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mr Snooker;978907]As Ken mentioned Tony Knowles beating Steve Davis 10-1 in the first round when Davis was defending champion was a massive shock and I also recall the world N0 73 at the time Stefan Mazrocis beating Peter Ebdon 10-3 in the first round in 1997 when Ebdon was world N0 3. Mazrocis was having pints of larger as well during the match, which is not allowed now.[/QUOTEP

Pints of lager? Ha,you should have seen what the Hurricane used to get thru during a match!

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    He had to pay £700 to enter didn't he ?

I'm sure it is golf where as an amateur you aren't entitled to the prize money .
    So in snooker "amateur" players pay entry fees to try to win prize money in professional tournaments. How ludicrous is that?

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    Yes, of course he'll get the money. Won't go onto his earnings for his season as a pro next year in terms of his ranking though.
    As I mentioned previously, this whole "amateur" thing is really dumb. Is he trying to make a living playing snooker? Yes. How the hell is he an amateur? If he really is an amateur he shouldn't get any money just like amateur golfers in professional tournaments don't get paid.

Leave a comment:

• John Flaf
    replied
    Yes, of course he'll get the money. Won't go onto his earnings for his season as a pro next year in terms of his ranking though.
    Cheers Mark.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    He had to pay £700 to enter didn't he ?

I'm sure it is golf where as an amateur you aren't entitled to the prize money .

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    Ebdon puts me off . always watch on Eurosport . But that Murray is one annoying bloke , thinks he is some sort of comedian .

Leave a comment:

• stephenm2682
    replied
    I agree about the shot selections, I don't recall one safety shot he played! On the plus though it nearly got him through and he was only out done at the end due to knocking the red in off the blue...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X