Postcard from Sheffield – Day 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postcard from Sheffield – Day 8

Well good afternoon as the Championship enters its second week and the defending champion leaves town.

A rather late drinking session with PaulTheSoave (not sure who is the bad influence on whom!) caused the walk into town this morning to be done slightly unenthusiastically! Only slightly, of course; and not for lack of anticipation of the snooker – and, anyway, nothing a good fried brekfast couldn't remedy.

So, Peter Ebdon is the first man through to the quarter-finals; Stephen Hendry could have got there before him but should manage it this afternoon, barring a spectacular capitulation. And, of course, Ryan Day has this morning deposited the defending champion, John Higgins, out of the tournament.

Without Richard Bear as MC, I have not had my trademark catalogue of his errors this year – so I will point out a couple of discrepancies in the souvenir programme instead. A short way in, there is a double-page photograph of the 16 seeds. Look closely at Ronnie O'Sullivan, and compare it with the picture on his profile page. Careful scrutiny will reveal that it is the same picture, but a mirror image – confirmed by the back-to-front wording of Highland Spring on his waistcoat. Secondly, Michael Judge is said to have lost in the final qualifying round on six occasions when in actual fact he holds the unwanted record of seven.

That's about it – the sun is shining, we have a morning off tomorrow so we can drink into the night, and I should be in the arena right now!

Wish you were here!

Ooh, I noticed that in the programme about Ronnie. They used the same picture from the Maplin ad on page 37 -- I guess he just didn't turn up to the photoshoot?

Comment

Wish I was there as well Statman. Sounds as if if you're all a bad influence on each other - and I thought you were just there for the snooker!
      Winner of Crucible 77's 2009 World Championship Lucky Dip.

Comment

Wish I was there! Great time! Good luck!
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
        X