Second round impressions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second round impressions.

Decided to pick an extra session with ROS against Chang as it finished close the day before. I felt when entering the arena ROS would step up one gear. He tried a maximum twice in this match, but finishing on 40 and 56, so guess part of the plan for this world championship. The Higgins - Day match was intriguing and Day showed bottle coming back from 4-0. Higgins played mediocre and I was surprised he complained about the cushions (its for both players the same or did Day play on another table?). I praise Hendry and ROS, never complaining about conditions, and i spotted they got some quirky bounces as well.

I was pleased to see Hendry go through. (my all time favorite). I was /am of the opinion whether Ding would ever recover from The Masters disaster at the time and it seems hes struggling. He has to work on his mental game. He only shows emotions if hes playing bad. But not if hes playing well. So automatically getting into a negative spiral. Who would have thought he is not the first Chinese player to reach the quarter final but one of his compatriots.
    Played inconsistent and not much better than his atrocious performance against Higgins in the Welsh. Luckily enough Carter polished off Murphy (another complainer about the cushions) so we got most of the ROS - Williams first session as well. We had a "final" atmosphere on the friday and saturday.

On the other table Maguire made mincemeat of Robertson, but he played more against himself, getting annoyed he could not finish off the match with a session to spare. He played brilliant up to 8/9-0 but as often his temper is bringing him down. If he can control himself he can still be the favorite, but looks he brought his mood into the next round.

The monday must have been the best live snooker day I have been to. The 147 was a joy to watch and the roof went off (btw 3rd tournament where ROS played and ROS making a 147, think he owes me some of the dosh ). Pity Mark could only blink his eyes once and it was all over. In the evening we got a real treat, Joe coming back (after I decided to go sit behind his chair ). I was happy the little boy won in the end. The way he showed his emotions, punching his fist too early in the air (told Statman he would be snookered ), entering the arena with the ref (and running off again when he noticed it was not standard procedure), innocent when he did not notice he fluked a red and spurred Joe it was his turn to play. its said on this forum 99% were in favour of Joe, but i doubt it. A couple of punters shouted for Joe, but Wengbo got a standing ovation when he reached the finishing line. I am pretty sure he is already a favorite with many fans.

On the whole I would advice fans to go to the first or second round as you can get more matches to view. Apart from that, the 2 table situation is something special. I sat so close on the Higgins and Day match, could almost touch them (same for ROS and Swail matches). I did not expect the atmosphere to be so electrifying for the second round. You get a better view (though wherever you sit, one gets a very good view) on tele, but there is only one Crucible atmosphere, being there. Nearly all sessions packed. And one can get tickets on the day. Its the only negative thing I want to mention, the box office shambles. I counted at least 50 empty seats on the first ROS - Williams session. While the match was sold out. I guess too many tickets go to sponsors, relatives or friends and they dont turn up, leaving the real snooker fans stranded without any.

On the other hand if one tries, tickets are available. To end on a positive note, socialized nicely, after match discussions with a couple of beverages. Think the score was 28 pints in the end (and some extras). Pity had to go home, almost persuaded to stay, but fortunately going back on Sunday.

O yes, hope Ebdon does not go to the final, because I am there!!! (though he played pretty good last night).

Cheers!

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave View Post
    O yes, hope Ebdon does not go to the final, because I am there!!! (though he played pretty good last night).
    Thank god there´s Ali if he gets into the final, make sure you got your secret weapon with you.
    ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

Are you going to be there then?
      I have spotted an empty seat during all sessions. we can smuggle you in.

Originally Posted by Kathrin View Post
      Thank god there´s Ali if he gets into the final, make sure you got your secret weapon with you.

Comment

Unfortunately not. have to work, damn job

Are you going to be there then?
        I have spotted an empty seat during all sessions. we can smuggle you in.
        ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

On a sunday? Just do a sicky.

Originally Posted by Kathrin View Post
          Unfortunately not. have to work, damn job

Comment

not sunday but monday There are just 2 of us, which is already the minimum, so there´s no way to not show up. My job isn´t that save these days.

And I think my avatar doesn´t become reality this year, Joe is doing too well IMO

On a sunday? Just do a sicky.
            Last edited by Kathrin; 2 May 2008, 07:52 AM.
            ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

i hate spammers - send me the e-mail ferret and we can spam the hell out of them.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
              X