Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Davis Contradicts Himself?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/7360709.stm

According to this video only Alex Higgins was the only genius in snooker. However today he couldn't stop calling Ronnie the only genius in snooker. I am sorry but neither are geniuses. Have they found a cure for cancer?

"A genius is a person of great intelligence"
    TSF World Champion 2010
    TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
    BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

"A snooker genius is a person of great intelligence on the snooker table."

Comment

He calls Higgins "the one TRUE genius" that snooker has produced, not the 'only' genius. I can see what he means. Ronnie has more of a prodigious ability rather than genius, whereas Higgins possessed real genius. Ronnie is the best player the game has ever seen but there is nothing truly original about the way he plays. Higgins effectively invented the modern game - he was visionary in a way that Ronnie isn't. So I would say that Higgins is a genius, and Ronnie is a prodigy.

Here are the definitions from thefreedictionary to clarify:

Genius: Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.

Prodigy: A person with exceptional talents or powers.

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/7360709.stm

According to this video only Alex Higgins was the only genius in snooker. However today he couldn't stop calling Ronnie the only genius in snooker. I am sorry but neither are geniuses. Have they found a cure for cancer?

"A genius is a person of great intelligence"
        Did Einstein or Shakespeare find a cure for cancer ?

As Rich45 said its about being a genius on the snooker table.

I suspect when the video was filmed Davis had yet to witness all of Ronnie's skills. Now that he has, he can also call Ronnie the only geniuis playing today; without contradiction...
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
          He calls Higgins "the one TRUE genius" that snooker has produced, not the 'only' genius. I can see what he means. Ronnie has more of a prodigious ability rather than genius, whereas Higgins possessed real genius. Ronnie is the best player the game has ever seen but there is nothing truly original about the way he plays. Higgins effectively invented the modern game - he was visionary in a way that Ronnie isn't. So I would say that Higgins is a genius, and Ronnie is a prodigy.

Very good post for this time on a Friday night !
          "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

A genius can be a person of great intelligence,

However The term "genius" can also be used to denote the possession of a superior talent in any field, e.g., Ronnie at Snooker, George Best at Football etc...

Steve Davis to be fair is a great guy, who has done nothing but good for the game of snooker.

If he thinks Ronnie's a genius then that's a fair endorsment.

Comment

Agree with you templeton peck on genius and prodigy
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post

Nice one well put
                Welsh Is Best

Comment

to be honest people contradict themselfes often in life..................

its easy to get carried away with here and now you forget the past and whats gone on in the past.........

im not saying whitch is right or wrong but i take everything thats said with a pinch of salt and make up my own mind on matters.....

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                    to be honest people contradict themselfes often in life..................

its easy to get carried away with here and now you forget the past and whats gone on in the past.........

im not saying whitch is right or wrong but i take everything thats said with a pinch of salt and make up my own mind on matters.....
                    Well put again :snooker:
                    Welsh Is Best

Comment

Steve Davis (and John Parrott) are paid to waffle on the TV. I suspect you would find hundreds of inconsistencies if you analyzed all they said during match breaks. Same with what they've said about Ronnie over the years.

Comment

It 's always JP and Davis as if there no one else capable of good comments.
                        I think a change now and then in the studio would be good.
                        On the other hand as a foreigner I don't always understand quite good what some players are saying because of their Irish or Scottish accent
                        I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Originally Posted by Wim View Post
                          On the other hand as a foreigner I don't always understand quite good what some players are saying because of their Irish or Scottish accent
                          Oh, I was just going to say how lovely it would be if Hendry at some point was to join the telly team. Then again, he doesn't have a very pronounced accent, should be easy enough to understand.

Alan MacManus isn't doing much playing these days, perhaps they could pair him up with Terry Griffiths and scare the living daylights out of foreigners trying to understand the match comments
                          Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Agree for Hendry but this is too soon. The ideal profile is some speaking oxford English and playing miserable so he is out in the first round and can join the studio asap. So Davis is perfect for this nowadays I guess
                            I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Originally Posted by Maija View Post
                              Oh, I was just going to say how lovely it would be if Hendry at some point was to join the telly team. Then again, he doesn't have a very pronounced accent, should be easy enough to understand.

Alan MacManus isn't doing much playing these days, perhaps they could pair him up with Terry Griffiths and scare the living daylights out of foreigners trying to understand the match comments
                              How about Cliff Thorburn and Kirk Stevens together or maybe Trevor White and Mike Wooldridge a change would be nice.
                              Welsh Is Best

Comment

Working...
                              X