Vanishing Pint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanishing Pint

Are snooker players still allowed to take alcoholic drinks into the arena with them? I haven't seen a player with a pint in his hand for years! In fact, the last one that sticks in my mind is Stefan Mazrocis sipping from a pint while retaining a smug grin on his face while hammering Peter Ebdon at the Crucible in 1997. Is there a ban on place or do all the pros just take the game ever so seriously these days and refrain from drinking?

I have not heard of any ban.
    They're probably just being too stuck up. Should be a rule that each player should sink a schooner after each frame! Then we'd see some interesting snooker......and probably a few more fights.
    I don't know about you all, but I play better with a few under my belt.
    I haven't seen any dart players drinking a beer either? Whats going on? I thought it was tradition!

Comment

I think drinking in the arena is banned for players now. Its only fair, if the spectators arnt allowed alcohol in the arena, then the players shouldn't be either. I dont think any of the players would drink whilst playing any more if given the chance.

Comment

Exactly. The standard is too high now for it to be viable. Drink at your own risk. Personally I still play better when I've had a few but when it gets tactical I'm not as sharp

Comment

At the qualifying rounds in Pontins only bottles of water are allowed in the arena by either players or spectators... no other drinks or food etc are allowed.

This is partly to protect the very fine cloths from sticky fingers and obviously the crowd can't make so much mess if they've only got water bottles to knock over.

At all major non-professional events such as IBSf, ebsa etc, there is no smoking, and no drinking anywhere in the arena, just water bottles.

of course if you're dead clever you could make your own ice cubes up out of neat vodka!!
          Janie Watkins
          On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
          All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

Yeh vodka, but Jack Daniels ice cubes???? Someone will notice i'm sure
            What's that coming over the hill...

Comment

Yeah, it will be pretty obvious when the player flinches in pain at the - 114°C ice cubes sticking to his tongue

Comment

Working...
              X