Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis withdraws from Bahrain Championship

http://www.worldsnooker.com/bahrain_...30.htm?tid=135

I wonder if he'll be playing his Premier League match on Thursday and if he's got the same illness as Ronnie O'Sullivan????

I believe it to be something that would prevent him from flying out to Bahrain but at the same time won't prevent him from playing snooker as such
    "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

It's being discussed on www.snookerscene.blogspot.com

There is some debate over if he is actually ill, or just an excuse to go back to the UK for his Premier League match.

Ronnie got away with not going to Bahrain for 'being tired', so is Davis trying a quick excuse?

All this withdraws is just an embarrasment for snooker.

Why can't World Snooker work with 'smaller' organisers and stop all these dates clash, and use David Hendon's idea from Snooker Scene and have a Tournament Conference to sort out tournament dates for World Snooker tournaments and others like World Series and Paul Hunter Classics, and the Premier League from Matchroom, who World Snooker calls 'A Third Party Promoter'.

bongo

Comment

I have to say, that I have lost a lot of respect for Davis for not pulling out from the start. Why shall he have points for the last 16 for not even showing up ?
        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
          I have to say, that I have lost a lot of respect for Davis for not pulling out from the start. Why shall he have points for the last 16 for not even showing up ?
          The man has a mission Rane: he wants to be top 16 again at the age of 52 so I guess it is allowed Anyway it wasn't his choice in the first place so I can' blame him.
          I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Originally Posted by Wim View Post
            The man has a mission Rane: he wants to be top 16 again at the age of 52 so I guess it is allowed Anyway it wasn't his choice in the first place so I can' blame him.
            I´m not questioning that he´s allowed to do what he does. But if it takes using the rules to the limit, then I´ll rather see someone else in the top 16.
            ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
            "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I wouldn't want to see someone in the top 16 over someone else just because that person was unable to play in one of the tournaments and didn't get the points.

Comment

I think Davis getting 2nd round loser points for the tournament is where it seems harsh on others. He won his qualifier, and would not have played in Bahrain due to his medical issue (which was raised well before the 1st round), but because Ronnie pulled out, he got a bye. It's the way it worked and he took advantage of it.

If Ronnie hadn't pulled out and Davis had a favourable draw - against Dott for example, would he have turned up knowing he had a fair chance to win at least one match by rights? It just all seemed a little convenient. A far off tournament (which Davis has like Ronnie got a history of withdrawing from - 1988 there was one and couple in early 90s) a medical excuse which meant he couldn't get there, a medical excuse which won't affect his attendance at the PL, and of course the whole PL thing which meant even if he had a run, he'd have withdrawn from anyway.

I don't think he should be deducted points as he has taken advantage of the system and also it should be emphasised that he did qualify and so was due to full points (unlike 1/2 for ROS), but it is certainly all a little peculiar.

Comment

I pretty much doubt Davis will get second round points. Since he never went to Bahrain and wasn't available to play in the first round then I suspect he will get 1st round points when World Snooker update the points after the tournament.

Comment

Well they're updated and it looks to me like he's been given 0, as has O'Sullivan.

Assume this will change at a later date like Dott's did?
                    sigpic
                    http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Yeah all withdrawals are automatically assigned 0 points and each case is subsequently reviewed on its own merits. I suspect he will come out of this with 1400 points because he did at least play his qualifier and Ronnie will get his 700 as per usual.

Comment

Think its bringing the game into disrepute, especially the stature Davis has as a 6 times world champion. Calculating on this level, is not done. Dock him his points for the entire season would be a right decision and a ban for the rest of the season because of fraud with a sicky note.

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave View Post
                          Think its bringing the game into disrepute, especially the stature Davis has as a 6 times world champion. Calculating on this level, is not done. Dock him his points for the entire season would be a right decision and a ban for the rest of the season because of fraud with a sicky note.
                          I hope this is meant as some kind of joke!!!

Ronnie O'Sullivan manages to get away with anything when it comes to snooker. Little or no punishment for conceding a match 4 or 5 frames in against Hendry because he was losing. Yet as Steve Davis suffered through no fault of his own a clash in commitments, he should apparently be docked all his points and banned. I find this absolutely laughable!!!!

What's bringing the game into disrepute is the organisers scheduling a tournament at a time when they knew 4 top players had to play in the Premier League. They've all suffered because of this and I don't feel they should be punished any further. Why should Steve lose valuable ranking points because of someone else's mistake.

The only player who consistently brings the game into disrepute with apparently random withdrawals is O'Sullivan. He's quite happy to pull out of tournaments if "he needs a rest" with a "sicky note". I don't notice you suggesting that he should be banned!

Comment

I dont want to leave you in dire straits! Yes, it was!

Originally Posted by murdock View Post
                            I hope this is meant as some kind of joke!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave View Post
                              I dont want to leave you in dire straits! Yes, it was!
                              Glad to hear it. Knowing your reputation (i.e. a well respected one!) on this board I have to admit I was very surprised to read your post. Problem is it's hard to get irony/sarcasm over in a message!

Anyway, glad to know it was meant in jest. Sometimes I'm too quick to leap to conclusions. Sorry about that!

Comment

Working...
                              X