The Chinese crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese crowd

Its a nice change to have different crowds as the backdrop to tournaments.
    But its totally different in China. They seem to be a very exitable crowd. Or maybe its just because there's 2000 people there ! ?

But the amount of ooos, aaahs, squeals, gasps and laughter that Ronnie in paricular is generating is great to see. Its lovely to see an enthusiastic crowd really enjoying it, as this adds a lot to the enjoyment at home.

The only slight criticsm would be their readiness to applaud players mistakes - particularly noticable with Hawkins agaisnt Ding, but i suppoose it is understandable. This crowd dont seem to shout out "come on Ding" or whatver so maybe they think its more polite to applaud when their heroes' opponent fouls?
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Poor Chinese crowd...they've lost all their players
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Well they still have Marco Fu, although technically not Chinese he is the next best thing.

Its totally weird seeing the Chinese crowds in comparison to the British crowds. They seem to make so much noise and it was amazing seeing people on their mobile phones during play.
      TSF World Champion 2010
      TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
      BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Yes, Fu is their last hope, and BTW, he's playing well!
        And yea, Chinese crowd is a lot different than English
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

For a very interesting view on the Chinese, read Iron and Silk by Mark Salzman. It's a diary of a young man who spent a year in China teaching English and learning martial arts.

I really enjoyed reading it and I highly recommend the book to anyone.
          "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
            The only slight criticsm would be their readiness to applaud players mistakes - particularly noticable with Hawkins agaisnt Ding, but i suppoose it is understandable. This crowd dont seem to shout out "come on Ding" or whatver so maybe they think its more polite to applaud when their heroes' opponent fouls?
            They want to encourage the player , and applauding they show their support ..i guess . True i havent heard them shouting "mon Ding" ( or maybe they have , in Chinese and i didnt realize ), so applauding seems to be the only choice..
            "I just want to live for the moment.Tomorrow's not important, next month is not important,what's happened in the past is not important.That's my journey... and I like the journey i'm on!" R.O'Sullivan
            Winner of 2008 UK Championship Prediction Contest
            Winner of 2010 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Yes I noticed in the Maguire-Murphy match today, there was a huge squealy shriek when Stephen potted the simplest of shots — it was from another table, of course, but it sounded like the sort of shriek that you would get in Britain only if someone played a magnificent positional shot to stay on course for a 147 or something equally groundbreaking.

I do think it is a little disrespectful to applaud fouls of your faveourite player's opponent — but then again I am not a follower of a particular player; I can see that if I were, it would be a hard temptation to resist.

Comment

Indeed, the Chinese public are not the same as here though.

I read on another thread that they are "instructed" when to clap!

All said, it's all good to see folk really keenly on watching the the game with enthusiasm, unlike half the tournies here, where, sadly, the public seem bored. Most of the time our venue are only half full!

Comment

we have contend that china is in general less advanced than britain, hence it' people are less educated and well-behaved. but in general, they do respect the players. and they applauded barry hawkins when he played good shots, even when he was cliching the match in the last frame. i do think they applaud barry's mistake as a way to shout out" come ding, this is a real chance".

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril
                    Indeed, the Chinese public are not the same as here though.

I read on another thread that they are "instructed" when to clap!

All said, it's all good to see folk really keenly on watching the the game with enthusiasm, unlike half the tournies here, where, sadly, the public seem bored. Most of the time our venue are only half full!
                    they are in case of some real big television shows. e.g. the spring festival ceremony held the night before the chinese new year, it's shown on all majoy chinese televsion, and it's tradition that most chinese families get tgether and watch. in that show, there is a few people who was instructed to applaud, so others will follow their lead.

Comment

Someone repped me and I got a grey box, which means whoever repped me did not have enough clout to influence me one way or the other!

I'd like to know, in case the repper was a positive one, if you've read the book and if you'd like to discuss it in any way?

And if it was a negative rep, then, in the words of the mighty Conan the Barbarian 'To Hell with you!' :-D
                      "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Working...
                      X