• Show
Clear All

• China Open - SF Discussion

14.30 (local time)
    Ding Junhui v Mark Allen
    Ref: Eirian Williams

Ali Carter v Mark Williams
    Ref: Jan Verhaas

At this point in the tournament, there is usually a bit of discussion about who could potentially win the tournament, or how various matches might turn out. It's a bit lacking this week, but I suppose that's understandable, with the matches starting so early in the day for most of us.

I don't really have the time or the energy to post anything in the morning, so I might as well do it now.

Most people consider Williams the favourite at this point, Eurosport commentators included, but I would say Ding has been just as impressive, if not more. Statistically, he has scored better than any other player so far, especially in the matches against Selby and Ebdon who were playing fairly well themselves. If you come through back-to-back matches with those two opponents, it's obvious that you're up for the battle. We didn't see as much of Mark Allen, but he has also impressed in some parts of his match against Hendry. The worrying thing is the middle part of that match, where Allen struggled to string two pots together, and seemed to completely lose his way for a while. It was more a case of Hendry letting him back in the match, with a couple of easy misses and a bit of frustration. But what was admirable was Allen's fighting spirit and determination when he was on the brink of defeat. He needs to be prepared to dig deep again, because he is likely to be put under extreme pressure by Ding. I definitely think that Ding is more solid in every aspect of the game this week, and I expect him to take this one.

Carter against Williams could be an even better match. They have already met this season at the Masters where Williams won, even though Carter played pretty well himself. I also remember their great match in the 2008 UK Championship, where it was Carter who prevailed. I suppose Carter got to this stage of the tournament pretty quietly, without really facing an opponent who was his equal. His true form is a bit of a mystery, because he hasn't really had to play under pressure yet. Williams played very well against Higgins and Fu, putting them under pressure and punishing their mistakes. He hasn't really played an opponent who replied with similar form yet (although I don't know how well Cope played against him), so it will be interesting to see if Carter can do that. I expect Williams to be the stronger of the two though.

So I'm going for a non-controversial prediction of a Ding-Williams final. But whatever happens, we're guaranteed quite a good final, even if it's the other two. Looking forward to it.

Should be two good games.

I think Ding is really starting to become the player that he should be - one of the best. As you said, he is scoring rather heavily and taking his opportunities when they present. Allen too is coming to form, but I just don't think he will be able to beat Ding today.

In the other game, I think Williams will be the one to win. Beating Carter at the Masters will be an advantage as well as his form in the Masters in general.

On the other hand, there has been a trend this ranking season which means that Carter will win (the tournament).

Grand Prix: Robertson bt Ding
    UK Championship: Ding bt Higgins
    Welsh Open: Higgins bt Carter
    China Open: Carter bt ...

Comment

Ding's in frightening form

Come On Mark!!!

I want the underdogs to win today... it could be a tough day!

EDIT: MARK!!!
      Last edited by very.tee; 3 April 2010, 07:13 AM.
      Winner of Ja's Super Special Grand Prix Lucky Dip 2009
      Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

He had a simple colour clearance and threw it away...

It could be a tough day for him if he doesn't take those chances.

Comment

Originally Posted by very.tee View Post
          Ding's in frightening form

Come On Mark!!!

I want the underdogs to win today... it could be a tough day!

EDIT: MARK!!!
          Good morning

Well, he's 0-2 down Let's see if together we can cheer him on properly

Ding is good but not unbeatable

Come ON Mark!!! You need to forget about the last frame, regroup & show us what you're made of :snooker:
          Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

Not looking good for allen, nice 137 from ding...

Comment

Come On Mark!!! Please get this one on the board & you'll be right back in the match... :snooker:

EDIT: Mark I know, it's the waistcoat

Comment

Originally Posted by cue1 View Post
                Come On Mark!!! Please get this one on the board & you'll be right back in the match... :snooker:

EDIT: Mark I know, it's the waistcoat
                The blue!!! The BLUE!!!

Come On Mark!!!

where's the fearless potter we're used to???! You won't win playing like this!!!

EDIT: thank God for that!!! we now have a match on our hands
                Last edited by very.tee; 3 April 2010, 07:48 AM.
                Winner of Ja's Super Special Grand Prix Lucky Dip 2009

Comment

3-1 Ding leads..
                  "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by very.tee View Post
                    The blue!!! The BLUE!!!

Come On Mark!!!

where's the fearless potter we're used to???! You won't win playing like this!!!
                    The blue is history now! The important thing was getting that frame on the board & he did... Hopefully, things will get better now

Come On Mark!!! :snooker:

Comment

Nightmare of a session for allen...

Glad to get that last frame of the sesh i bet.

Comment

Poor dispaly from Allen, paying like an amateur a few times
                        In fact it could have been 2-2 but 3-1 is the real score
                        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Wait Allen didn't warm up yet

Though he could reduce with attacking every long pot available, more safety shots in row would mean more table time for him..
                          Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Ding is thinking well & playing very well... He's patient when he needs to be & isn't being put under any sort of pressure from Mark!!!

Come on Mark!!! DIG DEEP!!! :snooker:

Comment

Doesn't look as if it's going to Allen's day. Ding goes 3 frames clear at 4-1..
                              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Working...
                              X