TV high break prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV high break prize

We have discussed before, that a high break prize for the televised rounds will be given to anyone who makes the highest break in a round that is partly televised, even if their own match was not physically televised.

This is quite the proper thing to do: It is chance whether a player happens to be on a tv table in those rounds where the television coverage starts on a weekend and that round crosses from the Friday into the first televised day, and equally it is chance where tournaments have non-televised tables on televised days.

But it is interesting to note that Mark Allen's 138 break currently stands in line to receive the televised break prize, even though he was knocked out two rounds before a Malta appearance.

This is because, of course, Tony Drago's qualifying matches were held over to Malta, and so the last three rounds became 'partly televised' rounds!

I am not saying that this makes it unjustified – after all, it is – technically – chance that Mark Allen (or anyone else) was not drawn against Tony Drago or his successor in those rounds, in which case of course it would have been televised.

But it is an interesting anomaly that I thought warranted a thread all its own!

I was wondering just that a few days ago when I saw some centuries made in the qualify rounds listed as televised centuries. I thought it was just a mistake. I think it is fair enough.
    2006 Premier League Prediction Contest Winner

Comment

The way I think of this is some palyers are playing their "qualifying round" in the "televised stage", therefore they get paid for highest break prize even they are in qualifying rounds.

You could say some get to play qualifying round in the televised stage, some dont', which in turns you don't get paid for the highest break, I guess it's really tough luck. Just like some people has to play the qualifying rounds in televised stage, which could be advantage/disadvantage to them.
      ---

Comment

Does this then mean that Alfie Burden will get the £500.00 prize for his 131 break in the first round?

Comment

Wouldn't it have made more sense to say that the higher prizes were for last-32 onwards? To include 45 pontins matches just to accomodate Tony Drago seems like an odd choice, I'm sure if he'd have knocked in a high break people would have understood that as it was made in qualifying it wouldn't be eligible for the higher prizes.

Comment

Working...
          X