Importance of the Malta Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of the Malta Cup

Well it would seem that Ronnie O'Sullivan doesn't see the Malta Cup as important to him. This now follows the early exits of Williams, Higgins and Ding. Do you think that they didn't put 100% effort in because they don't see it as an "important" tournament, or were there opponents just inspired!? (Obviously Maguire could have been considered a favourite in his match anyway).

This could be another tournament with a surprise winner (Holt, Carter?) or it could just be me thinking too much
    You play a long slow deadweight red to a corner pocket. As it approaches the pocket, a kamikaze woodlouse crawls out from under the cushion and makes its way across the table, conflicting with the path of the red precisely at the point the red gets there. The red, needless to say, veers off course, and the future of the woodlouse is uncertain. - The Statman

o'Sullivan has never done any good in this competition so it wasn't a big surprise to see him lose yesterday. Holt played solid stuff but O'Sullivan looked like he had other things on his mind.
    Its not a big tournament on the calendar and i think its fair to say that some of the bigger name players aren't that interested in the event.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mitsuko
      Well it would seem that Ronnie O'Sullivan doesn't see the Malta Cup as important to him. This now follows the early exits of Williams, Higgins and Ding. Do you think that they didn't put 100% effort in because they don't see it as an "important" tournament, or were there opponents just inspired!? (Obviously Maguire could have been considered a favourite in his match anyway).

This could be another tournament with a surprise winner (Holt, Carter?) or it could just be me thinking too much
      been suggested that staying in that hotel which is impressive makes some players relax too much and not focus on the job.

in fact there seems to be more upsets in overseas tourneys than in uk ones. maybe there isnt, but it seems so

Comment

Well at least Hendry is up for it, and giving it 100 %.

Very glad to see this too, otherwise the tournament could have been very poor if all the top names give a poor showing.

Not sure if the likes of Higgins, Ding and Williams were disinterested or just struggling for form as i didnt see their matches.

But Ronnie definately could not give a ***t about the match lastnight. It was a waste of time him even turning up with that attitude to be honest.

Maybe he was forced into it or something.
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
          Well at least Hendry is up for it, and giving it 100 %.

Very glad to see this too, otherwise the tournament could have been very poor if all the top names give a poor showing.

Not sure if the likes of Higgins, Ding and Williams were disinterested or just struggling for form as i didnt see their matches.

But Ronnie definately could not give a ***t about the match lastnight. It was a waste of time him even turning up with that attitude to be honest.

Maybe he was forced into it or something.

dunno if ROS was disinterested. im not a fan of his, but i still enjoy watching him when he plays well.

hendo is very focussed, and has been since mid december. he was one of the players who said that he wasnt letting the comfy hotel surroundings to get him unsettled. hes up against a good young player today though, so who knows....

still, ill watch any snooker thats decent quality, attacking or safe play, so lets hope the standard, no matter who is left in, is better than average. will still be a good spectacle

Comment

I can't say anything about Ding or Williams, but if Higgins was faking disinterest by playing like that, I'd rather not see what he plays like when he plays badly.

I don't mind tooooo much that some "big canons" are on their way home. I would obviously have preferred Higgis to stay, but this gives me a chance to see those players I hardly ever get to see on telly. It would be silly of "them" to just not care enough, there are ranking points in it for those who can be bothered to play
            Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

I don't much get the disinterest in tournaments outside the UK, does the place really matter? Aren't professionals interested in the prize money and ranking points if they have to travel abroad to get them?!
              I can understand a person may not much like a place, like Ronnie doesn't seem to like Malta, but I don't think that seeing so many top players lose in the first round is related to the location, or even the luxurious surroundings of the hotel.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nina
                I don't much get the disinterest in tournaments outside the UK, does the place really matter? Aren't professionals interested in the prize money and ranking points if they have to travel abroad to get them?!
                I can understand a person may not much like a place, like Ronnie doesn't seem to like Malta, but I don't think that seeing so many top players lose in the first round is related to the location, or even the luxurious surroundings of the hotel.
                just going by what ive read or heard by a few of the players....

Comment

Originally Posted by Nina
                  I dont think its a general thing amongst the players. I think it only really applies to Ronnie. For some reason he seems to regard these overseas tournaments in Malta and China as a huge pain in the backside. Choosing not to go atall several times, and when he does go he always seems to loose in the first round.
                  "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mitsuko

Hendry for me... Looked impressive, big names out, think this is his week.

It's going to be a real battle for Number 1 at the end of the season.....

Comment

For some reason he seems to regard these overseas tournaments in Malta and China as a huge pain in the backside. Choosing not to go atall several times, and when he does go he always seems to loose in the first round.
                      That applies to Malta, he's never got further than quarterfinals in the tournaments held there... As for China/Asia, he has won a couple of times there I think. Quite a long time ago though
                      ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                        just going by what ive read or heard by a few of the players....
                        I know Semih, I just find this attitude a little surprising.
                        I try to think if I would mind being invited as a professional to teach in Malta, if being accomodated at a great hotel on a lovely island would turn me off and decrease my performance... and to be honest I don't think it would!!

Comment

Originally Posted by rambon
                          It's going to be a real battle for Number 1 at the end of the season.....
                          it sure looks like it. all down to the worlds (as is quite often the case). very interesting season so far........

Comment

Originally Posted by rambon
                            Hendry for me... Looked impressive, big names out, think this is his week.

I hope so. If he plays all his matches like he did agaisnt Milkins he will walk it. Roberston may be a tough one though but Hendry is looking very good.

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness
                              That applies to Malta, he's never got further than quarterfinals in the tournaments held there... As for China/Asia, he has won a couple of times there I think. Quite a long time ago though
                              I'm sure you are right. But on at least one occassion Ronnie has chosen not to go to China.

I think it was during his highly successful 2004 season when he seemed to be winning everything, and he just apparently decided not to bother with China, i think it was when he was talking about taking his year off or retiring...

Comment

Working...
                              X