No announcement yet.

Will Hendry lift the trophy on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Hendry lift the trophy on Sunday?

If so, it will be almost exactly two years ago since last time he did that, on that occasion also on Malta.

I think this is his best chance for ages. He's almost bound to get to the final. You can't ask for a better draw, Carter on friday and Murphy or Dott on Saturday.

I've see both his matches so far, and I have to say he looks more relaxed and comfortable than normal. He's only lost one frame so far and both matches have been very quick, under 90 mins for each. Of course both Milkins and especally Robertson played below their normal standard, so he's not had a real tester yet. Even so, I think he looks solid and inspired enough to go all the way. Best of luck, Stephen!

Originally Posted by hegeland
    If so, it will be almost exactly two years ago since last time he did that, on that occasion also on Malta.

I think this is his best chance for ages. He's almost bound to get to the final. You can't ask for a better draw, Carter on friday and Murphy or Dott on Saturday.

I've see both his matches so far, and I have to say he looks more relaxed and comfortable than normal. He's only lost one frame so far and both matches have been very quick, under 90 mins for each. Of course both Milkins and especally Robertson played below their normal standard, so he's not had a real tester yet. Even so, I think he looks solid and inspired enough to go all the way. Best of luck, Stephen!
    yeah he looks great!! and he is my no 2.....I would like a Hendo-kendo final..as kendo is my no 3..so for tonight I say..GOOOOO KENDO!!
    2010 World Open Prediction Contest Winner

Comment

My dark horse is Stephen Maguire. If he can manage to win tonight, the road is open for him IMO.

Comment

If he gets Murphy he got a chance, but i think Dott will clumb him one over the head. He always gets a bad spell nowadays. Nothing guaranteed imo.

Comment

I agree that while Hendry hasn't played inspired snooker so far in this tournament, he's been calm, patient and determined. He looks like a man very happy with his game and his prospects, as opposed to earlier in the season when he was looking a little frustrated and perhaps desperate. Good to see that the collapse in the UK final hasn't knocked him too much.

He'll be favourite in every match he plays in this tournament, he just has to go out and win them all . Carter will be fancying his chances (think he has a positive head to head against Hendry, or at least he did a few years ago) and it remains to be seen how Dott, Murphy, Maguire and Ebdon are playing. It's by no means on a platter but I do think, as you say, he has the best chance he could've asked for.

Comment

Well, they've played eachother 11 times and Dott has never beaten him.

Comment

There is always a first time. Though I have a funny feeling this could be Murphies turnaround for the season. I have not seen them playing in this tournament, so dont know what kind of form they are in.

Well, they've played eachother 11 times and Dott has never beaten him.

Comment

He is indeed looking good. I hope he wins it or at least gets to the final. Have to back Sky up on this one. Would also love a Hendry/Doherty final.

So best of luck to Stephen (and Ken). *fingers crossed*
                “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

I totally disagree with you when you say 'He's almost bound to get to the final. You can't ask for a better draw, Carter on friday and Murphy or Dott on Saturday.'

Carter has a great record against Hendry and raises his game against the top players. Okay the same can be said of Hendry's record against Murphy and Dott but I agree with Soave when he says nothing is guaranteed with Hendry now adays. I'd fancy Dott to beat him in the semis as he has been the most improved player on the circuit this season.

If Hendry does get to the final however - he could face Doherty who always plays well abroad or even Ebdon who can bog him down. Maguire will also come good again soon and having won in Malta in 2004 I'd say he'll fancy the job again if he played in the final.

Comment

I think Henry has chances, because he's really at ood form, and best opponents are alreay out
                    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

the way hes played in the last month or so and in his two recent matches i think hes playing well enough to win it, or at least get to the final. still a lot of quality left, even if a lot of big guns are out.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru
                        I totally disagree with you when you say 'He's almost bound to get to the final. You can't ask for a better draw, Carter on friday and Murphy or Dott on Saturday.'

Carter has a great record against Hendry and raises his game against the top players. Okay the same can be said of Hendry's record against Murphy and Dott but I agree with Soave when he says nothing is guaranteed with Hendry now adays. I'd fancy Dott to beat him in the semis as he has been the most improved player on the circuit this season.

If Hendry does get to the final however - he could face Doherty who always plays well abroad or even Ebdon who can bog him down. Maguire will also come good again soon and having won in Malta in 2004 I'd say he'll fancy the job again if he played in the final.
                        I'm perfectly aware that anyone can beat anyone of the remaining players - but again, you tell me how a better draw would look like? There are no easy matches in the latter stages of a tournament, but IMHO this is as easy as it gets.

Comment

I'm perfectly aware that anyone can beat anyone of the remaining players - but again, you tell me how a better draw would look like? There are no easy matches in the latter stages of a tournament, but IMHO this is as easy as it gets.
                          Hegeland you don't seem to be taking into account the fact that Dott is in the form of his life.

You're obviously a Hendry fan and my favourite all time player is also Hendry but I'm honest enough to admit that he's no longer guaranteed to get to finals from the quarter final stage and now his chances of coming through are only as good as Dott's and maybe better than Carter or Mruphy.

How would a better draw for Hendry look? Maybe something like this:

Quarter final v Gary Wilkinson
                          Semi Final v James Wattana
                          Final v John Parrott

Comment

Sorry but this draw is not quite realistic Sir.

I would rather go for

Drago quarters, The ref has to go for extra balls as half (7 or 8) the reds are on the malta beach.
                            ROS semi, taking a 2-0 lead and match conceded.
                            White Final, dead certainty.

Comment

Just to get the records straight Sir; I've never said that Hendry is guaranteed to win any match, in fact, I never take a single pot for granted when he's playing. You see, the first ever snooker match I watched was when he played Ronnie at the 2004 WC...

The question to find a better draw was rhetorical, I know there are better draws in theory, but my very personal opinion is that this is as close as you'll ever get to it in reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X