***Malta Cup Will Be Held This Season***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Malta Cup Will Be Held This Season***

The Malta Cup is still being played for by the top world professionals this season.

The Malta Independent learned yesterday that the Invitational tournament that is planned to be staged instead of the usual Ranking tournament, will still be played for the Malta Cup.

This will certainly add to the prestige of the tournament which is expected to attract the world’s top stars. The venue will be the usual Portomaso Conference Centre, which is one of the great favourites of all the game’s top players.

This newspaper also learned yesterday that the planned Invitational tournament will be played on a completely different format than that of a ranking tournament. In fact, it is planned to be a 20-man event with four groups of five players. The top two in each group will advance to the quarter-finals.

This format ensures that all the players will, at least, play four matches, and there will be no one playing just one match – as is the case in Ranking events – and returning home immediately.

It is known that the World Snooker Association had made a survey in Germany to see whether the public preferred an Invitational tournament rather than a Ranking event, and 75 per cent of those attending the matches in the last tournament there, said they preferred an Invitational event, simply because they saw their favourites much more in action.
    http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=56899
    TSF World Champion 2010
    TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
    BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

cheers alex
    Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

good news, thanks 4 sharing Alex

the format of play would definitely give the players the chance to settle down & get used to the conditions rather than get beat & go home... any news on the participants?

Comment

So Shanghai merely replaced Malta as a ranking event, rather than added to the bare bones of the snooker calendar. With the whole invitation and league format, will it be televised like the NI Trophy was in 2005, or will it take a step back? That would be a shame. Particularly for Drago (Ranking Points).
        2010 Crucible Contest Champion

"This young man is hoping to win the most game's most coveted trifle"
        MC Richard Beare on Graeme Dott, 2006

Comment

Why on earth have they done that? Just another kick in the face to the players who won't get an invite and will have to struggle maintaining a ranking over just 7 events, where 1 or 2 dodgy results could be the difference between 30 and 50.

Disappointing. These events lack importance, and don't mean anything in the end. And here i thought the World Snooker were getting their act together.

Comment

ty Alex.
            So there will be a Malta Cup tournament after all , only its invitational. Well better than nutting i'd say. I wouldnt go that far and say these invitational events lack importance, maybe they arent very motivating for the players but the public seems to enjoy them , which is good for snooker and its popularity.
            i also like the idea of the new format... a good chance to see more of our fav players . I wonder if it will be televised.
            "I just want to live for the moment.Tomorrow's not important, next month is not important,what's happened in the past is not important.That's my journey... and I like the journey i'm on!" R.O'Sullivan
            Winner of 2008 UK Championship Prediction Contest
            Winner of 2010 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

http://www.worldsnooker.com/tourname...19001)-106.htm
              TSF World Champion 2010
              TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
              BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

unfortunally still a non ranking event
                ---

Comment

glad its going ahead. thanks for the update Alex

Comment

thanks Alex, good news. my friend wanted to go there, so now it's official that there will be a tournament
                    ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Great news!!! I am looking forward to it already!
                      Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

well done SPM, they do some great job to promote the snooker. let's hope next year Malta cup will regain its ranking status... to make it more of a job and less of a holiday for the players

Comment

Just saw the draw, It seems only 1 player from each group will qualify to the next stage. Why have a RR when only one can qualify? Also it's best of 6, maybe a tryout for next year's GP?

Group 1
                          John Higgins
                          Ronnie O’Sullivan
                          Ali Carter
                          Ryan Day
                          Alex Borg

Group 2
                          Ken Doherty
                          Neil Robertson
                          Joe Swail
                          Stephen Lee
                          WC4

Group 3
                          Shaun Murphy
                          Stephen Hendry
                          Stephen Maguire
                          Mark Selby
                          Tony Drago

Group 4
                          Graeme Dott
                          Peter Ebdon
                          Mark Williams
                          Ding Junhui
                          Dominic Dale

Note that the fourth wild card (WC4) place will be announced after the Maplin UK Championship.
                          ---

Comment

group 1 looks hard! - don't fancy alex borgs chances of going through there!
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

excellent groups, with some tasty matches in store.......

(ta for posting)

Comment

Working...
                              X