Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Selby :eek:

I'm back - Well Sort of, but I have one thing to say

- Well Done Mark Selby! What the commentators didn't mention was that when he scored that 141(was it?) That was also his best break in a professional match. Before that, it was a nice 139. What a place to do your best ever break!
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/398/stickmenzl3.gif

I wish someday, I will witness a 155 break.

I'm sure he will improve on that in time.

It is quite surprising that hes not up there with all the other maximum men already.
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
      I'm sure he will improve on that in time.

It is quite surprising that hes not up there with all the other maximum men already.
      not really surprising his breakbuilding is gathering pace the last 2 season before that it was dreadfully bad for a top player.....

but he is getting better and better and i wont be surprised if he makes a improvement on that soon even a 147 who? knows..

Comment

The write-up on the match in yeaterday's The Guardian mentioned that he has made (from memory) 67 centuries in his 8-year career but such is his recent surge that 48 of them are from the last eighteen months!

Comment

Mark is hardly a natural player as such though and has had to work very hard on his break building and is getting the reward for it now.
          Sooner or later I think the bubble may burst with him though and it will take a lot out of him to maintain this kind of form IMO.

He reminds me a bit of Graeme Dott in that he is a good match player, solid in most areas but doesn't quite score so well. Graeme is also from a pool background and I see a lot of similiarities between them. Think Selby is a better long potter though and at the moment age is on his side but I don't expect this period of success to last very long.

Comment

Originally Posted by Lee Vilenski View Post
            I'm back - Well Sort of, but I have one thing to say

- Well Done Mark Selby! What the commentators didn't mention was that when he scored that 141(was it?) That was also his best break in a professional match. Before that, it was a nice 139. What a place to do your best ever break!
            Astonishing that he managed to keep this last break going since he (and the crowd) already celebrated the victory. Mikaela Tabb also intervened pleading the audience to be quiet. With all this distraction most players would have missed the next easy ball.
            Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

I think he should be called the snake charmer, I must admit he fascinates me, he is good to watch but I cant work out why. Its that swaying motion. He has star appeal but whether his game will stand up is another question.
              Its all question marks with me but I dont have an answer one way or another.
              What I can say is Im looking forward to his next match.

Comment

Selby definitely has his own style.

He scores heavily, and plays under pressure well.
                Last edited by checkSide; 22 January 2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

What about renaming him Swaying-Selby then
                  Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Mark "The Sway" Selby. lol.

Comment

He is a hell of a player, but to be honest, I dunno if his time will ever come, he reminds me a lot of Mathew Stevens. Stevens should have won the World Championships like 4 times, but hasn't.

Comment

If Selby had been on that eventual break of 141 in any other frame he would have beaten it.
                        I am sure he didn't realise and the commentators also hadn't realised. I, however, had (always on the ball me!!) and he could have screwed back for the black on the second from last red and made 142 quite easily.

In general, I was quite disturbed throughout the course of the tournament by the amount of errors and oversights that the commentators made.
                        "And slowly and surely they drew their plans against us"

Comment

Originally Posted by lagermike View Post
                          In general, I was quite disturbed throughout the course of the tournament by the amount of errors and oversights that the commentators made.
                          Were you watching it on europsort or bbc ?

If you think bbc are bad they look very good in comparison; they might make one or 2 minor 'blunders' a session. (Not really atall bad for live spontaneous ad-libbing)

Whereas there's an error of some sort on Eurosport practically every other sentence. With some of them definately a lot worse than others.
                          Last edited by dannyd0g; 23 January 2008, 04:21 PM.
                          "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Dude, you should listen to the wrestling on Eurosport, I watched one episode, and I swear they only got one move with the correct name!

Comment

Very knowledgable. TheStatman immediately mentioned this after the match outside the arena (or was it the pub?). It separates the experts from the donkeys (me) as I also was more into the victory of Selby than actually getting the highest break in that particular frame. Explanation was given he bothered more about the 150 k and trophy than the highest break at that particular moment.

Originally Posted by lagermike View Post
                              If Selby had been on that eventual break of 141 in any other frame he would have beaten it.
                              I am sure he didn't realise and the commentators also hadn't realised. I, however, had (always on the ball me!!) and he could have screwed back for the black on the second from last red and made 142 quite easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X