Has the Championship League outlived its use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the Championship League outlived its use

Simple question following a discussion on another forum, With the new developments in the game in which we have the PTC tournaments 12 or 13 weekends of the season, a whole host of new ideas being brought forward - my question is whether the Championship League is still needed.

My opinion is that there are some problems that need to be addressed in making it work, the issue arised is that any player already guaranteed a place in the Premier League can simply use the tournament as a bonus payday - the problem there being that players can win money over several days though qualification for the winners group limits the chances.

I would say that the CL does have a nice symmetry running with the Champion gaining entry to the Premier League, but that should make this tournament completely invitational, such as a wilcard event. I think that the best of 5 frame format probably helped players grow more used to shorter matches resulting in less shocks tan I think everyone expected at the World Open

Some people have said about whether the money could be used in funding another major - a World Matchplay or something and that wouldnt be a problem with me.

But with a series of PTC events which arguably got congested this year my question is whether the tournament is now no longer needed on a bolstered calendar.

I wonder what your opinions on this matter are?

Although i watch most league matches it just does,nt appea to me like other tournaments , dont know why .

Comment

Personally I have never watched it and it does not hold any interest for me, if one of the players wanted me go to the event with them or if Mr Hearn asked me to go then I would of course attend.

Luke who handles the press releases for this event is more than efficient with getting the results over to us, every now and then we get a stills image we can use which is nice but no commercial interest from either still's images or reporting any more than what is in the official press releases.

The events you have to remember is run by Matchroom Sport who until recently had no partnerships with World Snooker or The WPBSA, it is my understanding that the prize money for this event is gathered by fees for allowing the betting companies to stream the events on to their websites and into their shops.

So if it is managing to cover its costs then I do not see a problem but the minute it starts costing Matchroom to host the event I bet it will be dropped right away.

It would however hold alot more interest if it was purely a wild card event.

Comment

Personally although I don't tend to watch much of it, if it is giving the players an opportunity to play and earn money from it as well as the fans a chance to watch then I'm all for it. Plus it is good for the likes of Judd Trump to be able to earn a chance to play in the Premier League as he did in 2009.

Plus while there is the PTC, until those events are televised then again it is more snooker for fans to watch at no cost to them.

At the moment therefore I still think that the event is a good addition to the calendar.
        sigpic
        http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Working...
        X