A good tournament or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Well... I suppose there are two ways of looking at this event...

If it was something unfamiliar, unrelated to snooker, and I just happened to see it on TV, I would find it somewhat entertaining. That's pretty much the way I treated it this weekend. There were some interesting frames, especially those that were decided as time was running out. From a tactical point of view, I think the most interesting part was seeing the players change their tempo according to what the score was like and how much time was left, and having to judge whether the clock was working for or against them. Even with my curiosity now satisfied, I would probably watch it again if I had nothing better to do.

For all my criticism of the World Open, it doesn't really apply to this event. It isn't a replacement for a previously established tournament, and it's not going to distort the rankings or affect the proper events in any way. So as a snooker fan, I don't have any problem with it.

Having said that, just because it has the word "snooker" in the title, that doesn't automatically mean it can count on my "loyalty". I suppose people become snooker fans for different reasons, so I can only speak for myself here... The fact that snooker is a slow-paced game that takes time to reach its climax, that's something that has always appealed to me. I've always loved the way tension builds up towards the end of a long match, or even a single frame when only the colours remain. I love the anticipation when a player studies a difficult situation, I love those extra few seconds of drama when a player composes himself before a crucial shot, and I love the "stories" snooker can tell, if only you give it enough time. Those are some of the things that got me hooked on snooker. I think this format doesn't really showcase those attributes, not only that, you could say it actually goes against them in many ways. That's why it doesn't live up to what I would call snooker for me, and I think I know myself well enough to say that it probably never will.

If people enjoy it, I can only be happy for them. As I said, there is no reason it should bother me, and most of the time, it doesn't. But sometimes I can't help having a defensive reaction, especially when I think it's intruding on the game I love and perhaps failing to reach the standard I set for it. I have no doubt it will be some commentator including one of this weekend's matches in their head-to-head stats between two players before a big match, or some equally trivial thing, that might set off the alarm bells again in the future. But I suppose that's just a reflection of how profoundly sad it would make me, if snooker as we know it now would ever make a major step in that direction.
    This is a very sensible comment. However, snooker needs to change if it is to attract big crowds and hence big sponsors and eventually big money. The winner for this tournament won GBP32,000. Wayne Rooney earns this money in 2 days I think.

I fully agree with Jimmy White who said that 2 rules need to be introduced:
    1. No more miss but ball in hand
    2. 30 second shot clock

I think that these two rules could attract the millions rather than the thousands. If there is money, young people will be attracted.

Comment

For me this has been the most enjoyable snooker event on TV for years, fast paced, twists and turns, drama, the personalities of the players coming through, sell out crowds who are actually allowed to create a vibrant atmosphere, a great arena, razzamatazz, lots of different players all on the same bill, what more could you want for your money??

I wouldnt merely call it good, its been a rollercoaster ride for three days and I was sorry when it stopped, best thing to happen to the sport for over a decade (OK the odd purist may not agree, but there'll always be a time and place in the calendar for the big events like the UK and the Worlds for those who prefer the more orthodox versions of the game).

I would seriously consider bringing the "ball in hand" rule into proper snooker though, does away with all that "foul and a miss" controversy, and keeps the game flowing, can't see any reason at all why it shouldn't be implemented as the current situation is most unsatisfactory (i.e. players winning frames simply by racking up 20-30pts due to a repeated failed escape, sometimes solely down to the referees own opinion).

Hopefully we can get a new boom period for snooker by holding a few of these type of tournaments through each season, I could soon see a few more people flocking to their local clubs after watching it...

Comment

Originally Posted by gerbisto View Post
        This is a very sensible comment. However, snooker needs to change if it is to attract big crowds and hence big sponsors and eventually big money. The winner for this tournament won GBP32,000. Wayne Rooney earns this money in 2 days I think.

I fully agree with Jimmy White who said that 2 rules need to be introduced:
        1. No more miss but ball in hand
        2. 30 second shot clock

I think that these two rules could attract the millions rather than the thousands. If there is money, young people will be attracted.
        So, a simple roll behind color snooker could earn you a frame winning visit with ball with Rule 1..
        I'm not writing it off, but ball in hand rule sounds like pool more than snooker.

Back on topic, I enjoyed some parts of the shoot-out, but it failed to live up to my expectations of a snooker tournament.
        Perhaps interesting for some of you, but I like all the strict rules snooker brings to the table, against the formats like darts. Don't know why, perhaps it looks more of a gentleman's sport this way.
        All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Trouble is I don't see it becoming any bigger if it remains as a gentlemans sport, I think it needs more razzamatazz to appeal to the masses.

I agree "ball in hand" sounds more like pool, and originally thats exactly what I said, but having seen it in operation I have no doubt it should be implemented.

Comment

I think that, like has been mentioned here before, that 3 misses THEN you get ball in hand is the best solution.

Comment

If a sport or any other activity appeal to the masses, it may soon doomed to be degenerated, just it's the case in football.
              I'm sorry, but this is the truth in my eyes..

And ball in hand could never actually be used even if it's implemented. A player will try the ideal escape twice and in the third attempt, will just hit and hope, which some players tend to do if they can't escape the snooker after some massive number of misses.
              Cause, surely the position they left, won't be as bad as ball in hand.
              All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

It was brilliant. The best I've seen for years for all the reasons stated already.

What I'd do from now on:

1. Have a few more tournaments like this. Say 4 of them. Two 1 frame shootouts, one best of 3 and one best of 5.

2. No more waist coat + bow ties. This is a major turn-off to the younger + casual audience. What they wear for this tournament + the Premier League is fine. Tradtional aspects need to be kept, so a good idea would be that the waistoat/bow tie dress code be used for the World Championship and the UK Championship but that's it. That way you'll not only increase the viewers for the smaller events AND help at grass roots level, but the younger/casual audience would really get a sense of the WC and UK championships being the pinnacle of snooker.

3. Take 3 fames off every round in the World Championship.

Anyway, does anyone have the viewing figures for this tournament? That will give us a clear indication of how successful it was.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                  Anyway, does anyone have the viewing figures for this tournament? That will give us a clear indication of how successful it was.
                  Yeah very good question.

I would also love to hear Hearn pronounce himself on this event, after all its his brainchild.

Comment

I struggled to watch 3 matches on the first night, by 6-30 was down the pub and not a single snooker fan was missing.
                    Each to their own but certainly not for me.

Snooker would have been far better off puting on 3 challenge matches over the 3 nights between 6 players from the top 10.
                    In my forty odd years of watching the beautiful game Ive never understood why snooker has never had challenge matches between players the public want to see play, and I dont mean the has beens but the heavyweights of the current top 10.

If Ronnie liked this then we should have a real shoot out with real guns and sod the waste of his talent.

Comment

There have been some challenge matches on the internet, I recall Ronnie and Higgins doing a series of them a couple of years back, though cant remember what it was billed under, was it something like Clash of The Titans....

I'm not sure that would dramatically change around the fortunes of snooker though, as not sure it would really mean enough, plus could you be sure Ronnie would actually turn up if he was the only one on the bill playing another big gun!

Comment

The revival of a World Cup with players representing their countries is something I'm eagerly anticipating should it materialise, will be interesting to see what rules it is played under....

Comment

I really enjoyed the event. The format is never going to take over from the traditional tournaments, of course, but it certainly will help to get new viewers interested in the game.

Also great to see snooker return to Blackpool Tower Circus. It has a long tradition of hosting great snooker matches.

Fred Davis played World finals against Walter Donaldson and John Pulman there in the 50's. There were great English Amateur matches played there in the 60's, including 1965 when Pat Houlihan beat John Spencer 11-3. Then the inaugural UK Championship was staged there in 1977, won by Patsy Fagan.

Comment

A few comments:

1. I was eagerly anticipating it (more than most judging by lack of comments here) and really enjoyed it.
                            2. All the players (with the exception of Ebdon) seemed to enjoy both the format and the crowd interaction for what it was - a fun tournament intended to attract a new audience
                            3. Traditionalists and entertainers (Clive Everton and Jimmy White) gushed about it in commentary to equal degrees - Everton's enjoyment of it says more to me than anything really

Really enjoyed it and would watch it again.

Finally anyone who thinks this could ever take over from the 'real game' is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Well done Barry Hearn and the board and hats off to Sky who did a great job I thought.

Final comment. Let's have a World Team Cup - week long event - in this venue. Would be fantastic.

Comment

This is different and enjoyable. The venue could be used again, for a ranking event, it looks great! Hearn is certainly trying to get Snooker back in the public interest. You only have to look at which TV stations have been involved in covering the sport recently, not to mention the additional tournaments and sponsorships this season and next.

Hopefully this will be back next season!

Comment

Well we must remember what Pot Black did for the game back in the day 1 frame a week on a Tuesday night and lots of people watched it, families etc and it generated a big audience for snooker.

We all have to move with the times but maybe this tournament could be the thing that helps appeal to a wider/new audience in the modern times as it was not only great for people at the venue it was great for TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X