The Ally Pally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ally Pally

I've never been to the Alexandra Palace, but am going for The Masters.

Anybody else been what's it like as a venue?

Looking on the internet, I'm taking a guess that it is a massive place. Somewhat like the 02 Arena in that it's not just a sport's venue, more of an entertainment complex where one of the facilities you can watch sports in. But also is surrounded by bars and restaurants and stuff. It's on several acres of land by the look of it. I've heard also it's more atmospheric than Wembley, which isn't difficult.

The downside is that it seems more of a pain in the arse to get to. Wembley you could fall out of the tube into your seat.

Is this worth the effort? Is my assessment above fair? Share your Ally Pally experiences here, folks.

Are you going to see the venue or the snooker?
    Good snooker is worth watching anywhere
    Don't be lazy man

Comment

Originally Posted by sealer View Post
      Are you going to see the venue or the snooker?
      Good snooker is worth watching anywhere
      Don't be lazy man
      Considering I travel round the country watching snooker, and have been more than once to unpopular venues such as Telford and Newport hardly a valid complaint.

Just kidding though, I know what you mean.

Comment

It is actually easier than it looks to get to the venue, the accommodation is the problem as there is nothing close by, I think the closest hotel is over 4 miles away so if you are travelling to the venue by public transport it will cost you a small fortune in taxi's to and from the venue every day, this was the reason I am not going this year.

Entertainment near to the venue also seems to be pretty poor, no local pubs or restaurants to speak of only those at the venue which you have to pay venue prices for.

All in all I think this was one of the biggest mistakes moving The Masters to Alexandra Palace, Wembley was perfect, lots of accommodation, pubs, restaurants near by, easy to get to and the crowds were good for the journey fans who stay all week.

For the one day visitor then Alexandra Palace is perfect for the person who is there all week it is rubbish.

Comment

To get an idea what its like, stick the (real) world darts championship on (sky sports at the mo until early January). Its held at the Ally Pally.
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I imagine they will reduce the apparent size of the arena for the snooker.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
              I think the closest hotel is over 4 miles away so if you are travelling to the venue by public transport it will cost you a small fortune in taxi's to and from the venue every day, this was the reason I am not going this year..
              Muswell Hill is littered with hotels, pubs,. restaurants etc and is less than a mile away from the venue - Queens Ave in Muswell Hill had about two dozen hotels, B&Bs etc. Not sure where you get 4 miles from - you walk down the road a little way and you're at the tube station, go the other way and you walk up the hill to the Ally Pally - it's slightl;y longer than the walk from wembley park tube to the arena.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                It is actually easier than it looks to get to the venue, the accommodation is the problem as there is nothing close by, I think the closest hotel is over 4 miles away so if you are travelling to the venue by public transport it will cost you a small fortune in taxi's to and from the venue every day, this was the reason I am not going this year.

Entertainment near to the venue also seems to be pretty poor, no local pubs or restaurants to speak of only those at the venue which you have to pay venue prices for.

All in all I think this was one of the biggest mistakes moving The Masters to Alexandra Palace, Wembley was perfect, lots of accommodation, pubs, restaurants near by, easy to get to and the crowds were good for the journey fans who stay all week.

For the one day visitor then Alexandra Palace is perfect for the person who is there all week it is rubbish.
                Yeah. I am staying in the hotel that the Ally Pally website recommended, which as you say is four miles away. Only two nights, but if the nearest hotel is four miles away it's going to cost a fortune in travel. I probably should've commuted, as only live in Croydon, and used to commute to Wembley. But I am seeing the Monday evening match, and the Tuesday afternoon match so decided to stay over Monday night, and as I was already doing that decided to see the Tuesday evening match too and stay.

Looking at the hotel, I am going to have to spend money on cabs a couple of times. In London that's going to give my wallet a pounding. Outside the expense, is it easy enough to get a cab to the hotel from the Ally Pally? Is there a taxi rank there, or can you order one from the main entrance.

The lack of bars/pubs/ other entertainment is less of a problem. I'm giving up alcohol for January, and am really only there to watch snooker anyway. Even if I was drinking, I'm there for the snooker not the partying. I can do that any time.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                  Muswell Hill is littered with hotels, pubs,. restaurants etc and is less than a mile away from the venue - Queens Ave in Muswell Hill had about two dozen hotels, B&Bs etc. Not sure where you get 4 miles from - you walk down the road a little way and you're at the tube station, go the other way and you walk up the hill to the Ally Pally - it's slightl;y longer than the walk from wembley park tube to the arena.
                  I booked a hotel that was recommended to me by the Ally Pally website. Apparently it is about four miles away, so he's right. I got to get up to the hotel first, then get a taxi to the venue for the evening match.

Staying over may be a mistake, and has made me somewhat apprehensive as I really don't know the area the venue is in. I only live in Croydon, and the only reason I am staying over is because I'm seeing an evening match and an afternoon match the following day. If I knew the area better I may commute.

I want to give the Ally Pally a chance, being that I travel all over the country watching snooker and this is my 'local' venue. If it's crap, or difficult to get to, I might not bother next year. Or I may come on after seeing it going on about how much I love the place.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
                    I booked a hotel that was recommended to me by the Ally Pally website. Apparently it is about four miles away, so he's right. I got to get up to the hotel first, then get a taxi to the venue for the evening match.
                    He's not right - the hotel the ally pally recommends may be 4 miles away, but the nearest hotels are in fact less than a mile, and there are many(I stayed there in October as a deliberate scouting trip for January and walked to the Alexandra Palace inside about 20 minutes, and that was in heels. God alone knows why they're recommending a hotel 4 miles from the venue.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Comment

They honestly do though; http://www.alexandrapalace.com/visit...accommodation/

I should've done more research. I trusted the website, as I know nothing about the area at all. I might look into your recommendations, see if there are any rooms left. Convenience is the most important thing for me. I think I can still cancel.

Comment

Yeah I looked last night and saw the same thing - Golders Green is a stupid place to recommend. I don;t know London that well but have been to the AP twice - once when Witter fought Corley and then in October when I was scouting. I made enquiries with Londoners and they all said "Wood Green or Muswell Hill Broadway" so I picked a very cheap hotel in MH that turned out to be a bit down-at-heel but gave me the lie of the land for the 2 days I was there, and now for January I can book one of the nicer hotels as I'll be there all week.

Can only assume the Ally Pally has some sort of cushy deal with that hotel, as it's halfway between wembley and the AP!

There will be rooms left in some of the hotels - Queen's Ave is massive and consists mostly of hotels.

Don;t bother with the National Hotel though - it's ok if you just ewant a bed for the night but, as a man scrawled on the door of my room "I've been in clink and my cell was bigger than this"

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                          Yeah I looked last night and saw the same thing - Golders Green is a stupid place to recommend. I don;t know London that well but have been to the AP twice - once when Witter fought Corley and then in October when I was scouting. I made enquiries with Londoners and they all said "Wood Green or Muswell Hill Broadway" so I picked a very cheap hotel in MH that turned out to be a bit down-at-heel but gave me the lie of the land for the 2 days I was there, and now for January I can book one of the nicer hotels as I'll be there all week.

Can only assume the Ally Pally has some sort of cushy deal with that hotel, as it's halfway between wembley and the AP!

There will be rooms left in some of the hotels - Queen's Ave is massive and consists mostly of hotels.

Don;t bother with the National Hotel though - it's ok if you just ewant a bed for the night but, as a man scrawled on the door of my room "I've been in clink and my cell was bigger than this"
                          Now you tell me. I just booked into the National, and cancelled the Golders Green one.

Don't bother me though, if anything I should be thanking you. I care most for convenience, not luxury. And to be honest, with all that travelling betwen Ally Pally and Golders Green I might as well be going home.

It can't be worse than the place I stayed my first year in Newport. The room was so small, they could barely fit the bed in. And the reception closed at 10pm meaning they gave you a security code to get into the hotel if it was after that time. Problem is, they changed it without warning meaning I had to get the manager out of bed one night after the snooker had finished.

If I'm honest, I go for the snooker and nothing else, so convenience is the most important thing.

Comment

I agree - when I was with the ex girlfriend, we used to stay in a cricklewood hotel called the Crown Moran - proper luxury. Then I realised I was spending about 700 quid on hotel bills for a room I was using purely for a bed, so these days I go much cheaper. I'd just found a perfect hotel in Harrow in January this year and the *******s have moved the tournament!

The National got some awful reviews on tripadvisor but when I went, I asked to see the room before I checked in and it was fine - the bed was clean and made up, the staff were helpful and the room was an ok size, if a little dingy. The carpets are a bit frayed and it could do with a lick of paint, but I would cheerfully stay there again for the odd night, just for a week I'd like a little bit more. Given I paid aboutr 25 quid a night, I was decidedly chuffed.

Comment

And you get a fried breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                              X