Masters - SF Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters - SF Discussion

So, what do we make of the semi-final lineup?

Another clash between Trump and Robertson in the top half, their third one in recent times. Robertson battled very hard in the 1st round of the WC last season, and stuck with Trump until the end, even though Trump always looked the more convincing of the two. The UK semi last month was a similar story, Robertson just lacking that bit of edge to prevail at the business end of the match. He did win their PTC final quite convincingly however, but that was only a short match.

Their form this week? Well, Robertson was very good against Allen, less so against Williams. You can't question his mental attitude, he was very concentrated and determined, willing to battle for every frame, but it didn't seem like he had much firepower against Williams. He will need to find some fluency today, as he usually does at the business end of tournaments. He also seems like the kind of character who would hate losing to the same opponent over and over again. If you examine his rivalry with Maguire, he had a very poor record in their first couple of matches, but succeeded in turning it around a bit. I think he will try extra hard against Trump here.

Trump's form? Quite good, it has to be said. The decline of his form after the UK win didn't really happen, at least not yet. He may not be at his brilliant shot-making best, but he has developed into a consistent scorer, regularly making 70s and 80s, not playing many poor shots in the process. There are also no questions over his mental strength, as he showed against Allen in the UK, he will take advantage of reasonable chances to get over the winning line. He had a good record against O'Sullivan and ended up beating him, so why not Robertson as well? There are only about five players who have, in my opinion, matched Trump's top game over the last season or so, so if he plays well here, it will be very tough to stop him. But then again, Robertson is one of those players...

Thinking completely objectively about this, Trump has to be the favourite, but I have a gut feeling Robertson will be up for the challenge today. Could he win 6-5?

Anyway, the match is about to start, so let's leave Higgins-Murphy for later.

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Anyway, the match is about to start
    Where?

Neither BBC2 or Eurosport are showing it.

These companies deserve to be burned to the ground.

Comment

Yes very interesting matchup between these two. I'm excited!

Btw what a shame about Neil's new walk-on music, where's the wonderful nice&happy 'Down Under' by Men at Work?! Now it's some Gladiator type overture...blaghh humbug.
      Last edited by daffie; 21 January 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by zombieman View Post
        Where?

BBC1 and Eurosport 2.

Comment

Originally Posted by zombieman View Post
          Where?

Try BBC1..
          "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I retract my statement.

Only Eurosport deserves to be burned to the ground.

(Eurosport 2 is showing Bundesliga here. Who the hell watches German football?)

Comment

A very scrappy start. Similar to the start of Williams-Robertson yesterday, except that Robertson never looked like losing from such an advantageous position.

Comment

Interesting to see Judd miss a couple of long pots *and* not getting away with it this time. Table seems to have both players a bit confused as well it's playing slower cause of the new cloth. Also Neil's new tip needs getting used to.

Comment

Neil "the second coming of Peter Ebdon" Robertson is cruising to a two frame lead. Good start for him.
                  All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

%25 pot success for Judd
                    All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Breaks of 40 and 100 seal the frame, then.
                      All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Yeah good start for Neil. Very important I feel. Now very interesting to see how Judd deals with having to come back from 0-2 down.

Comment

Good chance for Robertson to take a decent early lead now.

Comment

Well, it looks like hitting the balls hard still helps.
                            All the way Mark J!!

Comment

It's hard to believe that this kid is 22 years old, at times.
                              All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Working...
                              X