Ding: Concession or misunderstanding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I think I disagree as well!

I wasn't really meaning that it was 'completely different' per se (although they were my exact words) – of course the two situations are almost alike. But it is more 'excusable' – well, maybe 'understandable' is a better word – that this was someone relatively inexperienced who was losing the match healthily (and who, let's allow the benefit of the doubt here, thought this was the only frame his opponent needed) and apparently had something off-table but in-arena to contend with, than someone exceedingly experienced who was a full five frames short of defeat, maybe bringing his off-table and out-of-arena problems onto the stage.

I was really only making a few comments to encourage debate – so thanks for your reply.

And I agree, there should be a rule (if there isn't at least an implicit one already) to prevent someone from conceding a match before the due conclusion. And that would go equally for Ding as for O'Sullivan. At least Ding did see sense and complete the match; the fact that his persuader was O'Sullivan is neither here nor there.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
      At least Ding did see sense and complete the match; the fact that his persuader was O'Sullivan is neither here nor there.
      Just wondering how many other players would have done what Ronnie appears to have done, i.e. persuading their opponent to carry on? I know it's not exactly the same, but I certainly don't remember Hendry trying to persuade Ronnie to carry on in York...

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
        On Saturday evening during the Ronnie – Maguire match I was verbally abused and physically threatened from a so called Maguire fan. He was standing behind me during the match, talking all the time and shouting out YES! when Ronnie missed. I looked over my shoulder and then the idiot started to have a go at me. Some real snookerfans got the stewards in and he was warned. Also later during the match he was warned by eireen Williams. It seems Hooliganism is entering snooker as well, although it is only happening at Wembley till now.
        Hello, I noticed during that match in the mid-session interval the ref spoke to Mikela Tabb about the Magurie fan. He should have been thrown out.

I think the security on Saturday night was pretty inept - there were a couple of guys next to me - who were warned for moving about as far as I could tell!

Comment

It was the same one who threatened me. The steward went to warn him at the bar. But later they were standing again behind the seats, shouting and moving around. Incompetent security. Instead they were very brisk and rude to my neighbour on the first row. They have picked some people from the audience to fill up 2 seats before start of play. The original ticketholder came 5 minutes before introductions, which was on time. He was directed to go and sit somewhere else which he refused rightly. Pity we did not meet.

Originally Posted by dantuck_7
          Hello, I noticed during that match in the mid-session interval the ref spoke to Mikela Tabb about the Magurie fan. He should have been thrown out.

I think the security on Saturday night was pretty inept - there were a couple of guys next to me - who were warned for moving about as far as I could tell!

Comment

Hmm I'm playing catch up here!
            He was conceding!
            You should be allowed to concede when you want but......
            You should not concede!
            Security at snooker is crap at the last Grand prix at preston were were some right knobs in front of me, shouting smackhead and booing Ronnie! Nothing was said to them!

I funnily enough got confused in a pool match last night and thought I'd lost when I hadn't. I was ready to shake when he started racking up. I said is that not it, well no he needed 1 more I needed to win the next 2. Witch I did!

Comment

Good post, Statman Sir.

I don't think he had miscalculated the score, I agree with Paul. I watched my recording today and it clearly looks as if he intends to leave the arena straight away.

He also points on his eyes more than once as he walks out with O'Sullivan, I'm wondering why?

It has to be said O'Sullivan handled the situation irreproachable, very nice to see.

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
                He also points on his eyes more than once as he walks out with O'Sullivan, I'm wondering why.
                I saw that too, perhaps he was saying that because he was a bit teary he couldn't see the shots properly?

Comment

Working...
                X