Ronnie O Sullivan - Ali Carter - final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by breakman16 View Post
    Would you go to a restaurant dressed in tracky bottoms and football shirt?

If I wore either of those, I would - as it is, I'll quite cheerfully go to a restaurant wearing jeans and a T shirt. Sporting occasions are only possible by fans buying tickets, and as part of that ticket price, as with any trip to a theatre, I will wear what I damn well like - I have no interest in what strangers think of me.

As for respect for myself, I'm largely indifferent to myself, but I don't define anyone by what they're wearing.

Comment

• Personally, I'd love to see a dress code applied to the the spectators, as well. If players have to bear the bother of getting stuck in an uncomfortable outfit, I think fans also should also take a step in that way.
      It doesn't have to be the strictest one, but you have to take care of your image when attending an important organization.

If you can't attend an important business meeting together with your boss in your Chelsea jersey, you shouldn't attend a snooker session in Crucible in that outfit, as well.
      This isn't a push towards suiting up, but rather directing fans into being more sensible the way they dress.
      All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

• Originally Posted by Table_of_Reds View Post
        'Tongue in cheek' - look it up.

There is no need to cover up your mistake because sometimes one submits a post and then realises it looks stupid and also reads wrong.

You are forgiven.
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
          If you can't attend an important business meeting together with your boss in your Chelsea jersey, you shouldn't attend a snooker session in Crucible in that outfit, as well.
          That's the worst comparison ever, you're at work in a business meeting, in the crucible it is in your spare time and you have paid for a seat.

If they wanted ticket sales to go down the drain then they would introduce a dress code.

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
            There is no need to cover up your mistake because sometimes one submits a post and then realises it looks stupid and also reads wrong.

You are forgiven.
            My post stupid? Ha ha. It's you who couldn't tell a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek, parodying post from a serious one. You do however seem totally humourless and stuck-up, but I suppose you can't help that, so you too are forgiven.

Comment

• Come to think of it, there's an even better indication of how much the authorites care about how the crowd dresses - they sell T shirts outside the doors to the arena, and in the case of the BetFred guys this year, they were giving them free withy every bet, as well as handing out "I love snooker" banners - you'd look pretty stupid holding one of those up while wearing a suit.

Comment

• Originally Posted by breakman16 View Post
                Would you go to a restaurant dressed in tracky bottoms and football shirt? I hope not, no one should go to a major sporting event dressed like that either, have some self respect, at least look semi smart, jeans and polo shirt will do, football shirts are a no no in my book, it doesnt make you a certain type of person looking nice, it's called having respect for the occasion and yourself, surely you can see what I'm getting at??
                I know exactly what you're getting at, judging people simply by what they're wearing. I wore a suit at my sisters wedding, not through any respect for myself but simply because it was expected of me. I have a great respect for myself and all other people that I don't know personally, I don't judge anyone by what they look like or by what clothes they wear.

Suits and uniforms are worn by those who wish to be seen to be in a position of power and superiority. As someone who is neither alpha or beta that is of no interest to me at all so I please myself what I look like and I wear what I feel comfortable in and gives me my own identity within the group identity of being a biker. Many times what I wear has led me to make new friends who can have a pretty good idea of who I am and what I like and of my lifestyle, and also many times what I wear has led to conflict with people who make a different judgement on me based on bias shown through the media.
                When I was summoned to court for non payment of the poll tax I stood up straight in front of the magistrate dressed in my usual attire, looked him in the eye and told him that I wasn't going to pay it because I didn't believe in it. I then retired to the public gallery and watched many others come into the courtroom dressed in suits and ties, tugging their forelocks to the magistrate and calling him sir and promising to pay up, chicken**** cowards the lot of them.

I also had to go to court when my landlord of twenty years decided to evict me. He also dressed in a suit and tie for the occasion, put his hand on the Bible and swore to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me god, even though I knew him personally and knew he wasn't a christian. I on the other hand, despite advice from my solicitor, wore a T shirt and jeans, told the clerk of the court I didn't believe in god and swore to tell the truth anyway. He lied through his teeth and was found out by my solicitors questioning, I told the truth and won the case.

You have to earn respect for yourself and from others by your actions and ideals not simply by wearing what is deemed to be the correct clothing, any f*cker can do that and gives a false impression to the easily impressed.
                Last edited by vmax4steve; 10 May 2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  I wore a suit at my sisters wedding, not through any respect for myself but simply because it was expected of me.
                  I expect you've thought all this through, but the way I see it..

It was expected of you, because not doing so would show disrespect for the occasion and/or your sister. Perhaps not in your eyes, or your sisters (as I'm sure she knows you well enough to know that), but in the eyes of others. Those others would be firstly judging your respect for the occasion/your sister by what you're wearing, then in turn judging you by that. So, in effect judging you by your appearance. Which is essentially the same as what breakman16 is saying, only replace wedding with restaurant and major sporting event.

While those others might be coming to the wrong conclusion, it's the only conclusion they can reasonably draw given the evidence presented to them. So, it may be factually wrong, but the process itself is "valid" as far as it goes and the behaviour is therefore "valid" in turn .. just not always useful in finding the truth.

Knowing that this is the process present in society and knowing that you could not personally talk to everyone at the wedding to inform them of the "truth", the best option available was to dress as expected. This would present the "truth" in a form they could see and understand immediately.

I'm a bit like you in that I wear what I want, when I want, except for occasions like a wedding when I get dressed up (as expected) but, to be honest that doesn't bother me all that much because the rest of the time I'm not dressing how I want out of some sort of principle, I'm just doing it because it's comfortable and I don't really care what other people think of me as a result. Anyone who choses not to associate with me because of my attire isn't someone I want to associate with in any case so no great loss I reckon.
                  "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                  - Linus Pauling

Comment

• Originally Posted by P.Smith View Post
                    The players have a dress code, the crowd does not, they have paid for their tickets and they should be allowed to wear whatever they want.

What makes snooker so special that people must look smart while watching it? I really don't understand. We're not living in the 1930s and snooker is not just for posh people anymore, in case you haven't realised.
                    I think the point people are trying to make is just a simple case of social etiquette which is knowing and appreciating the sense of occassion, i mean of course we can all do and wear what the hell we want at the end of the day but sometimes it just shows a bit of respect for an occasion which my friend the world championship final session always has been!!im far from posh but i would not have gone and sat in the front row of the wc final session in a football shirt, i think the fact that so many people have the same view on this spaeks for itself!
                    " and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green. "

Comment

• Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                      I expect you've thought all this through, but the way I see it..

It was expected of you, because not doing so would show disrespect for the occasion and/or your sister. Perhaps not in your eyes, or your sisters (as I'm sure she knows you well enough to know that), but in the eyes of others. Those others would be firstly judging your respect for the occasion/your sister by what you're wearing, then in turn judging you by that. So, in effect judging you by your appearance. Which is essentially the same as what breakman16 is saying, only replace wedding with restaurant and major sporting event.
                      She asked me to and I complied because I was in fact giving her away, she chose the thing for me as well.

How the hell can anyone have respect for a restaurant ?

Comment

She asked me to and I complied because I was in fact giving her away, she chose the thing for me as well.

dunno but i know with some restaurants, if you are not dressed appropriately they wont allow you in. shame but true

Comment

• "Don't be a baby, be a man - sell out" - Lenny Bruce.

Comment

Well.. you wouldn't have respect for the place itself, but for the proprietor's and/or the people working there and/or other customers.

I'm not thinking of your local chip shop (tho, IMO you should respect people for doing a good job or providing a good service - but not by turning up in a 3 piece suit ) but if it's a restaurant where a lot of effort is put into creating a certain atmosphere, providing a high level of service, etc.. then out of place attire will ruin that atmosphere/effect for others, for example.
                            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                            - Linus Pauling

Comment

• i like the game7 of this match

Comment

Working...
                              X