Penny Pinching WSA Scrap Part of the UK Champinships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny Pinching WSA Scrap Part of the UK Champinships

The Maplin UK Championship has been shortened by four days and will now run from December 8-16 at the Telford International Centre.

The official WPBSA press release states that this “guarantees all of the top 16 players’ participation in the televised stages of one of snooker’s most important tournaments” but this is misleading as there will be four tables, only two of which will be televised.

It also means that, for the first time ever, some matches in the last 16 of the game's second biggest event won't be broadcast at all.

The change has primarily been made because Ronnie O’Sullivan, as world no.5, as well as the likes of Stephen Hendry (8) and Ding Junhui (9) would otherwise have to play a match before the TV phase.

The BBC, quite understandably, would rather they competed in front of their cameras.

In previous years, the top four seeds (in this case Peter Ebdon, John Higgins, Graeme Dott and Shaun Murphy) have had their matches held over, but it is by no means certain that any or all of these four players will now play on a TV table.

Indeed, recalling that the WPBSA relegated the Higgins v Mark Selby world final rematch at last month’s Shanghai Masters to a non-TV table, I’d say nothing is guaranteed.
    I presume it is shorter because the WSA cannot afford the arena for the full two weeks. Also tough sh*t that O'Sullivan, Hendry, Ding aren't ranked high enough to be playing in the guarenteed televised round 2 matches, its their own fault. I wonder which of the four top seeds will be snubbed onto the outside tables.
    TSF World Champion 2010
    TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
    BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Originally Posted by Alex0paul
    I wonder which of the four top seeds will be snubbed onto the outside tables.
    I hope for Murphy, then he can complain again...
    Seriously, I think, out of the four, they are never going to let Higgins play on an outside table. He is world champion AND people like him.
    Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Well I find this annoying.
      Why not show all the matches!
      'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Its also funny that the BBC want to move it so they can show O'Sullivan's match considering what he did to the BBC when he walked out of the UK last year.
        TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

Well, it shows in what kind of state this snooker board is. They first had to move to one of the cheapest locations as York was not an option. And now they cannot afford two full weeks!!!. Luckily they did not change the date, with flights and accomodation booked!

Does WSA stand for Woeful Snooker Aliens??!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos
            I hope for Murphy, then he can complain again...
            Seriously, I think, out of the four, they are never going to let Higgins play on an outside table. He is world champion AND people like him.
            are u saying ppl don't like SMurphy???

hehe, j/k... was funny when he complained in his "delusion of grandeur" tone

Comment

This is a joke!

Comment

But Snooker fans won't find it very funny.
                As I said, it is very annoying. The UK is the only other long matched tournement on the tour, and I consider it to be the best viewing after the World Championship. I'm shocked at the WSA's stupiditity.
                I for one am unhappy about it.
                'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Thanks for the update Alex0paul.

Although it is not good news.

As a matter of interest where did the article come from ?
                  "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
                    Thanks for the update Alex0paul.

Although it is not good news.

As a matter of interest where did the article come from ?
                    I read a post from Globalsnookercentre on there website forum. It also says they will scrap the round of 48 being played at the venue. Instead players 17-32 will obviously have to qualify.
                    TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

I presume it is shorter because the WSA cannot afford the arena for the full two weeks. Also tough sh*t that O'Sullivan, Hendry, Ding aren't ranked high enough to be playing in the guarenteed televised round 2 matches, its their own fault. I wonder which of the four top seeds will be snubbed onto the outside tables.
                      I dont think its anyything to do with their ranking inside the top 16. Last year I believe all the top 16 had to play a preliminary qualifier to make the TV stage. I remember this well as Ronnie had to play Wallden, so i took the trip to York to be certain of seeing him in action should he fail to make the next round.
                      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

I read a post from Globalsnookercentre on there website forum. It also says they will scrap the round of 48 being played at the venue. Instead players 17-32 will obviously have to qualify.
                        Thanks. So they want to safeguard the top 16 again. Thats understandable. But it was kind of interesting the way they threw them into a preliminary qualifier in previous years.

Guess they have to safegueard their TV interests. The bbc would not be happy if Ronnie and Hendry failed to qualify. New/different faces dont pull in big audiences.

Comment

I dont think its anyything to do with their ranking inside the top 16. Last year I believe all the top 16 had to play a preliminary qualifier to make the TV stage. I remember this well as Ronnie had to play Wallden, so i took the trip to York to be certain of seeing him in action should he fail to make the next round.
                          Only the top 4 seeds (Ebdon, Higgins, Dott, Murphy) would have been guarenteed their Last 32 match would be televised. Seeds 5-16 had to play in the Cubicles on the Wednesday and Thursday.
                          TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

Only the top 4 seeds (Ebdon, Higgins, Dott, Murphy) would have been guarenteed their Last 32 match would be televised. Seeds 5-16 had to play in the Cubicles on the Wednesday and Thursday.
                            I see. Thanks again. I think thats different too then, as last year Ronnie was in the top 4. But they didnt show his last 32 match on the TV. They didnt show any last 32 matches last year.

Tv coverage only started in the second week.

Comment

I see. Thanks again. I think thats different too then, as last year Ronnie was in the top 4. But they didnt show his last 32 match on the TV. They didnt show any last 32 matches last year.

Tv coverage only started in the second week.
                              O'Sullivan was seeded 5 last year although he was in the top 4 on ranking thus his match wasn't held over.
                              The last 32 matches they showed were
                              Ding Junhui (seed 1) V Ryan Day
                              Graeme Dott (seed 2) V Scott Mackenzie
                              Stephen Hendry (seed 3) V Dave Harold
                              Ken Doherty (seed 4) V Mike Dunn
                              TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X