Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do scoreboards in arena show the current points score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do scoreboards in arena show the current points score?

Clive Everton commented today that the scoreboards in the arena show, instead of the current total points score, the points that a player had before he started a break and the amount of the break so far. So the player needs to add the two in order to know his current score.

E.g. if a player comes to the table leading 20-0 and pots red & black, it shows 20 and 8, for him, instead of 28.

Is that correct? I have heard it said before but all the tournaments I have been to in recent years have shown the cumulative points score (e.g. 28) rather than waiting for the break to end. Is it different for the UK Championship this time, or is Clive Everton out of date with his comments?

PS On an unrelated point, it was good to see Patsy Fagan appearing on the BBC today, and also to hear W.T. refer to himself as "the great W.T.". Did he invent that nickname himself?
    "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

youve got me doubting myself now, as i usually just look at the scoreboard after breaks, and do the arith myself, or indeed do it in my head from the beginning of each frame.

as far as i remember, it remains the same, with the break count moving as the break continues, then when the break ends it is added on. much like youd do in a snooker club (update the board after a break, rather than after each pot)

?

Comment

From what I know, you can see all : score so far & break. Players have all the infos they need.
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I was there today and I'm certain that the arena scoreboards show frames won, current break, current (inclusive) score. I'm also pretty sure they've been that way for years.

I wasn't listening to the commentary today but I've heard Clive say something similar before and it is a bit baffling. He can't see the scoreboards from the commentary box but even so you'd think he'd know.

Comment

The score boards at the event, in the media center and around the venue are the same as the live scoring on worldsnooker.com although presented in a differant way.

They are all run off of the same syatem from the markers desk.

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602 View Post
            I was there today and I'm certain that the arena scoreboards show frames won, current break, current (inclusive) score. I'm also pretty sure they've been that way for years.

I wasn't listening to the commentary today but I've heard Clive say something similar before and it is a bit baffling. He can't see the scoreboards from the commentary box but even so you'd think he'd know.
            Yes, I'm pretty sure it's like that.

All I can imagine is that perhaps, years ago, the scoreboards were as Everton describes, and that he hasn't seen them for years because he only watches from the commentary box (or on TV).
            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

This is a picture form Eirian Williams' website :

You can see clearly what players and spectators can see...
              Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

It used to be the case that the break was not included in the points total, as you describe, but it was changed in the early 1990s.

Comment

shows how often i follow the scoreboard [in the arena]

(usually, whether watching at venue or on tv, count the score mentally in my head from start to finish of each frame, so you dont need to wait for the tv to display the scores. easy when you do it "all the time")

Comment

Working...
                  X