Ali Carter to retire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali Carter to retire!

I am surprised this has not come up on the forum yet but Ali Carter announced lastnight that he is to retire from Snooker at the end of the season.

Here he said - going to retire at the end of the season! And I can't wait!

And later he said - I'm dead serious, life is to short to do something you don't enjoy, 25 years is enough! Pastures new....

'Toys out of pram' comes to mind.
    You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Actually it has been mentioned in another thread but still quite surprising news.

Comment

It's not April 1st Ferret is it ........shame if he does .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Would be a shame. I like Ali Carter and think on his day he is a brilliant player. If anything I am surprised he hasn't won more than he has, but I absolutely LOVED the fact his 1st (and I think so-far, only) 147 came against Peter Ebdon.
          He 's always struck me as a genuine down to earth guy, who has enjoyed living his dreams. Who wouldn't love to be a pro snooker player with a back up job of being a pilot!!!!
          I do see his point of stopping if he doesn't enjoy it anymore though. As he said he's done it for 25 years, so has earned a break. I just hope he's not pulling a Ronnie and fishing for sympathy cos his form has dipped a bit by threatening retirement.
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

It is sad .... but he seems really bored and as he don´t care every time I see him on TV playing. I was thinking about it yeasterday, why is he so negative all the time. He doesn´t enjoy it anymore .... I wish him good luck to the rest of the season and out of pro snooker

Comment

I remember Mark King saying the same thing after losing in the World Championship a few years ago, but once he had calmed down it wasnt mentioned again.

Personally I would be surprised if he retired, but only he knows how he feels inside.

Would be interested to know if he has been thinking about retiring for sometime now, or if this is just spur of the moment..
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post

Would be interested to know if he has been thinking about retiring for sometime now, or if this is just spur of the moment..
                Yes, it would. In his twitter page, a few hours before "announcing his retirement", he told that he's in York and looking forward to his match. I wouldn't be too excited to get to play if I was fed up with the game. Seems a little controversial.

But as you said he only knows.

Comment

Shame, as in recent years Carter seems to have really gained some momentum - he was so unlucky that his best year in the world championship ended in a final against O'Sullivan - he'd have had a chance against most of the others, but Ronnie has never made the final of the two majors and gone on to lose.

Comment

How much money has he made in his career? Enough to retire?

Has he a trade to fall back on?

All in all he will be back on the baize im sure. They always do.
                    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                      (According to Wikipedia) £922,380

Yes, he's a qualified and certified airline pilot

No doubt he will keep playing, but probably not to the amount he is currently.
                      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I'm not that surprised in all honesty and you know I reckon he won't be the only high profile player who will pack it in after the WC. I fully expect Hendry and O'Sullivan to follow suit and maybe one or two others.

He is a fully qualified pilot so I'm sure that is what he plans on doing as a profession. I'm a little sad because as a player I really like his style of play, beautiful cueist and plays the game the right way, just a shame he never won a big title to go with his ability.

Comment

Another one of those underachievers that believes he's 'due' something from the game imo. Move along the bus.
                          Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Another one of those underachievers that believes he's 'due' something from the game imo. Move along the bus.
                            I don't think so Anders. Based on your previous posts, like me didn't you once get sick of playing snooker so stepped away from the game for some time, only to return to it as fired up as you ever were? (not to mention going into a cue buying frenzy??) This might be what he needs to re-find the love of the game, and start enjoying it again. Maybe a year off will make him realise what he had, and will light a fire under his ass... Maybe he'll take a year off, find he doesn't miss the game at all, and pack up altogether. I just think it was a heat of the moment remark, but I hope he doesn't retire as I like watching him, and he isn't normally the bat s**t crazy, drama queen Ronnie is.

Comment

Thats surprising but I'me not sure he will. But he didnt look too good since winning shanghai
                              maybe he is seriously attempting pilots career?
                              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
                              X