QF discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QF discussion

So, we start off with Maguire-Trump and Robertson-Ding. A bit of a shame to have these two matches at the same time, because they are the two most interesting in this round.

Maguire and Trump have both played quite well so far, Maguire perhaps being slightly more impressive. Not much history between the two, I can only remember their clash in the World Open last season, which was too short for any real conclusions. It was before Trump's real breakthrough, and Maguire was in better form as well. A have a feeling he just might be a frame or two stronger here. If Trump goes for his shots again and leaves a few chances, a fully concentrated Maguire is just the kind of player to take advantage.

Robertson-Ding should be equally interesting. For two players who have been in the top6 or so for a while now, they haven't played many big matches either. I suppose their Grand Prix final was the big one, and Robertson won it convincingly. I think it was mostly the case of Ding being tired and sleepy, and not really having the fight in him to stay with Robertson on that occasion. He should be pretty fresh here, but his form is perhaps questionable. He won his two matches in deciders, against players he was expected to well against, and let's be honest, his opponents threw away great chances to take him out. On the other hand, Robertson has gone through quite comfortably, and seemed impressive from what I've seen. I would give him the edge here, 6-3 or 6-4ish.

Bring it on.

Anyone else watching today?

The Maguire-Trump match is not going according to my prediction at all. Maguire hasn't shown up, while Trump is now playing his best snooker of the week so far. Tough to see Maguire coming back.

Robertson-Ding still remaining close, should be an interesting conclusion.

Comment

Yes.

I have been switching between matches. Agreed, Trump looks to be playing his best Snooker in his Quarter-Final with Maguire. Good response from Maguire to keep himself in the match to be only three behind at 2-5..
      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I'm stuck at work so can't watch it

I said before it started that I thought Trump will win it, and from what I'm reading he's more or less through to the semis.

He seems to be flying at the moment, and if he can learn how to win scrappy frames and play more percentages instead of just outright potting, could possibly dominate the game in the next few years. He is a brilliant potter though, so probably thinks why change anything. If it ain't broke....
        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Good stuff from Trump, three centuries in the last three frames he won. It never looked in doubt even when Maguire came back a bit. We are guaranteed a great semi-final in the top half.

So, we can concentrate on Robertson-Ding for the rest of the afternoon. Robertson looking in control at the moment, but a lot of work still to be done.

Comment

This Trump Robertson rivalry looks as much a barometer as Trump O'S. 1st round worlds,2 great ptc's and this sf,should be a corker. Trump won scrappy and tactical frames v Selby in the China final just before the world's,I don't think he's got a problem there.

Comment

Trump will take some stopping if he can sustain the same form he showed this afternoon for the rest of the tournament. If Robertson beats Ding we SHOULD be in for a classic. Overall, from what I have seen from both, Trump's potting and break-building has been more consistent of the two.
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                Trump will take some stopping if he can sustain the same form he showed this afternoon for the rest of the tournament. If Robertson beats Ding we SHOULD be in for a classic. Overall, from what I have seen from both, Trump's potting and break-building has been more consistent of the two.
                Agreed, there have been some mistakes from Robertson, less so from Trump. Having said that, Robertson has a marvelous record at the business end of tournaments, and generally gets better with each round. It's also a two-session match, although it's hard to say to whose advantage that will be.

Comment

So, what do we think of the evening matches?

Murphy-Walden should be pretty high quality. Walden was very effective against Williams, taking advantage when Williams gave him a couple of chances. He looks to be at his best, as if he was playing in Asia. Murphy was effective in the first part of the match against Gould as well, but he did allow that comeback, as did Walden to some extent. From what I've seen, I would go with Walden, but taking experience in these situations into account, I think Murphy might prevail in a very close match.

Allen-Fu will perhaps be my first choice tonight, another very exciting prospect. Their match at the Masters this year was terrific, especially Fu's performance from behind. He looks to be in that kind of form again, where you just expect him to take most of his chances. He has no real weakness when he is like this, he is not going to play loose safety, and he is not going to succumb to pressure too badly. I would make him a slight favourite. Still, Allen has done very well on similar occasions in the past, when playing on the big stage. He has two semis and a quarter-final appearance from last season's big three events, so he is quite reliable in getting through matches like these. It should be very interesting.

Comment

A great frame in the Allen-Fu match. A fantastic clearance from Fu when he needed all blacks to win by a point. He opted to take one pink, forcing a re-spotted black, and after both players got close on a couple of attempts, Allen finally potted it to win the frame after all.

Walden's plant and the break to follow in the 5th frame weren't too bad either.

Comment

Agree with the Commentators .....strange shot selection from Murphy . Walden playing very solid stuff . Hope he goes on to win the match .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Quality dish by Marco.

Comment

Well done to Mark Allen, he held his nerve in the last two frames. This was a really great match, one of the highlights of the tournament so far.

An unexpected semi-final in the bottom half then, but interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                          X