players comments this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• players comments this week

There's been plenty of quotable comments this week.

My favourite has been the one about Steve Davis booking out of his hotel before playing Dott as he thought he would loose and be going home that day.

His modesty these days is very different to what he reportedly did in the 1980s when he booked the whole floor of a hotel for 17 days during the world championship !! He then filled the floor with space invader machines - and proceeded all the way to loose his first round match on the first day !

Also, Maguire openly states he dislikes Murphy.

I'm sure there's something simillar going on between Robertson and Ronnie. They seem to be winding each other up in their interviews. Robertson says Ronnie does not scare him like some other players do.

Before his match against Roberston, Ronnie said he would prefer to play Hendry, (coming out with his 60% thing again), in saying he can beat most other players apart from Hendry by playing at 60 %. He also made exceptions for John Higgins, Mark Williams and Steve Davis.
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
    when he booked the whole floor of a hotel for 17 days during the world championship !! He then filled the floor with space invader machines - and proceeded all the way to loose his first round match on the first day !
    At least he had the time to play space invaders and he had a wide-range selection of beds available *laughs*

Any particular reason why Ronnie and Neil should dislike each other? I am so not up-to-date on the going ons and gossip Surprising that he'd rather play Williams, though, I thought they weren't too fond of each other either.
    Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Interesting thread - I didn't know between Robertson and Osullivan...but honestly statements like Ronnie with his % are noy very sportive to the other players too. And it can't be measured anyway. And indeed Ronnie said he wasn't bothered he lost against Robertson as the WC is far more important...Indeeed his statements are becoming very direct and personal.
      I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Its just a hunch really. The pundits were all hinting at it too during the Ronnie Robertson match, about how confident Robertson is marching around the table, and how this is likely to "give Ronnie the hump".

Ronnie has been full of praise for his other young up and coming opponents like Ding and Selby. But although he admitted Robertson was a brilliant potter he was still dismissive of him really in his pre-match interview.

The thing about Mark Williams was that Ronnie classed him as a top player on his day. Someone who Ronnie could not beat playing at 60%. Ronnie may not have liked Mark Williams much in the past, but he now at least recognises him as one of the top players.
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

It just gives me the impression that Ronnie is afraid of something, perhaps losing
          against players he knows who are really very good. And that % statement allows him to explain every defeat I guess. But an intersting evolution in his way of thinking...And really he doesn't need to be 'afraid' of for example Steve nowadays so I still don't know what the message is of his statements. Perhaps I overanalyse it...

Comment

Its just a hunch really. The pundits were all hinting at it too during the Ronnie Robertson match, about how confident Robertson is marching around the table, and how this is likely to "give Ronnie the hump".

Ronnie has been full of praise for his other young up and coming opponents like Ding and Selby. But although he admitted Robertson was a brilliant potter he was still dismissive of him really in his pre-match interview.
            I suppose he's just downright scared (to use Robertson's words) of Robertson beating him, then. He'll have to admit at some point that Neil belongs to the group of players that can beat him and that will beat him, even on a good day.

Again, our commentator was just crap, but I thought as much during the match too. Don't know why, just a hunch. Female intuition and all of that
            Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Originally Posted by Wim
              And really he doesn't need to be 'afraid' of for example Steve nowadays so I still don't know what the message is of his statements. ...
              I though that too. I guess he meant that Steve Davis when at his best, was someone he would also need to be on his best game to beat.

Comment

I though that too. I guess he meant that Steve Davis when at his best, was someone he would also need to be on his best game to beat.
                I suppose that too Danny. What do u think of Ronnie apparantly building in some anticipation about losing in his comments, explaining upcoming defeats to his bad game and not to the strenght of his opponent?

Comment

I watched that pre-match interview. I don’t recall him mentioning Steve Davis though but I might be wrong. I remember him saying Hendry is a different class of players and also Higgins, Williams and finally added Ding is in that mould too.
                  2006 Premier League Prediction Contest Winner

Comment

Originally Posted by cap
                    I watched that pre-match interview. I don’t recall him mentioning Steve Davis though but I might be wrong. I remember him saying Hendry is a different class of players and also Higgins, Williams and finally added Ding is in that mould too.
                    Hmm, strangely i dont recall him mentioning Ding, and remmeber thinking at the time - strange that he should include Steve Davis these days. But then i might be wrong aswell, and might have misheard him.

"I suppose that too Danny. What do u think of Ronnie apparantly building in some anticipation about losing in his comments, explaining upcoming defeats to his bad game and not to the strenght of his opponent?"

Possibly Wim. Ronnie can be very gracious and generous sometimes about his opponents. But sometimes he does go the other way.

Comment

Hmm, strangely i dont recall him mentioning Ding, and remmeber thinking at the time - strange that he should include Steve Davis these days. But then i might be wrong aswell, and might have misheard him.
                      I'm positive he mentioned Ding, and I can't say I recall him saying Davis either, sorry Danny .

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602
                        I'm positive he mentioned Ding, and I can't say I recall him saying Davis either, sorry Danny .
                        Oops - sorry if ive written duff information. Better get them cotton buds out.

Comment

Originally Posted by Maija
                          I suppose he's just downright scared (to use Robertson's words) of Robertson beating him, then.
                          The sooner he admits it the better, then, because Neil is turning into a Bete Noire for Ronnie. Maguire 2 seasons ago, Higgins last season and now the Australian. Last time Ronnie beat Neil was exactly two years ago, in the Welsh Open quarters. In the decider. So this match surely meant a lot to both of them. And so did that little war of the words.
                          And when both players play well or very well it's..down to luck. And one miss less. Just my opinion about that quarterfinal.
                          S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

Robertsons recent comment on Ronnie (having played Hendry Davis and O Sullivan in the pace of three matches.)

I think beating Hendry was my best performance," he added. "I don't find Ronnie as scary to play as he was a few years ago when he was more aggressive. He plays a lot of safety now and he's a bit more predictable."

Comment

I found that Ronnie going tactical was the turning point of the match when Ronnie started to win frames, so not sure Neil's argument is very justified. The another turning point was again Ronnie making mistakes - that foul and missed ball in the last frame. Good match anyway, both played well.
                              ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Working...
                              X