Did they change the pocket template?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they change the pocket template?

Did they change the pocket templates for the pockets, they seem much more forgiving.
    Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

I don't think so!

I will ask for you tomorrow.

Comment

Ive seen more flukes in the past 4 days than I have seen at the championships this passed thirty odd years, there has been 4 in the maguire match tonight alone, several in this afternoons match and at least 2 this morning.
      These pockets are very loose and thats been suggested by Niel Foulds today, amazing the lengths world snooker will go to, to make the game big break friendly, but thats been obvious for 8 years now.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
        I don't think so!

I will ask for you tomorrow.
        Thank you so much.

It looks like the curvature at the end of the cushion is different, and balls drop even when they hit the outside of the jaw, which is supposed to be quite round and should bounce the ball out.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Some of the balls that have dropped wouldn't go in on a club table. I have seen a few today, especially on the bottom half of the draw's table, where the ball has hit the near jaw of the middle pocket and dropped with ease.
          TSF World Champion 2010
          TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
          BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Here is a picture of the pocket form one of the two practice tables at the crucible which are the same as the match tables and the official word form World Snooker is ............. no.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of the pocket form one of the two practice tables at the crucible which are the same as the match tables and the official word form World Snooker is ............. no.
              that looks pretty much like a regulation size pocket.
              RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

the pocket looks a lot bigger then my clubs match table and the one from the china open maye its just me.
                Age:17 full time snooker player hoping to get somewhere in the future!

Comment

Ah, we've heard this before from WS. Ferret, can you get a shot of the one of the arena table corner pockets, taken from directly and as far above the drop as you can, with a ball just before the drop for scale. I can then give an opinion as to how close the pocket is to the template.

Comment

it must be pretty much the standard size otherwise we would have many players complaining.

on the other side , almost all of the snooker governing bodies all over the world are making pockets bigger in tournaments so that there are bigger breaks made and there is more viewership.
                    RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Originally Posted by khizzy View Post
                      it must be pretty much the standard size otherwise we would have many players complaining.

on the other side , almost all of the snooker governing bodies all over the world are making pockets bigger in tournaments so that there are bigger breaks made and there is more viewership.
                      I'd guess the players aren't going to complain too much if the pockets are generous, as they appear to be. The photo ferret put up of a practice table pocket looks like a pro pocket, but there is nothing, like a ball, to scale the measurements.

Comment

Why can't we do the same thing in snooker as they've done here: http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/print.php?sid=929 Now that would end all speculations. Look at those asian tour pockets - really tight!

Let's start a thread where people can post picture of different tables. Surely someone can get access to the tournaments tables at each tournament.

Comment

In 9 ball the pockets are usually just measured in terms of ball width such as 1.8 ball, 1.5 ball and so on. 1.5 is tight, and some Asian tables have 1.3 balls pockets for gambling.
                          But their pockets are straight at the edge.
                          My question was more about the curvature of the pocket at the jaws, as they seem to be a bit straighter to me. Less curve can help the ball to drop even when it hits the far jaw. Thus my question.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Malachi-b View Post
                            the pocket looks a lot bigger then my clubs match table and the one from the china open maye its just me.
                            Its not just you Malachi, you are correct about the pockets in china being tighter.
                            Dont believe anything you see on these tables since about 2000.
                            Anything that gets near these pockets falls in, even if they look to be missing by half a ball.
                            Ive been on about this for years, perhaps now the obvious is becoming the unmistakable and something should be done but dont hold your breath.

Flukes abounded again today. They should call a copper, not for the players but for world snooker.

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
                              Why can't we do the same thing in snooker as they've done here: http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/print.php?sid=929 Now that would end all speculations. Look at those asian tour pockets - really tight!

Let's start a thread where people can post picture of different tables. Surely someone can get access to the tournaments tables at each tournament.
                              great link hegeland!
                              the "two balls in the pocket" photo is a really good way to tell just how tight a tables pockets are and makes it easy to compare between different tables.

those pockets on the asian tour table were ridiculous (for a 9 ball table )
                              New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Working...
                              X