Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Championship 2009 - SF discussion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Championship 2009 - SF discussion!

Well I'll keep myself short for a change, the lineup speaks for itself!

I will enjoy this from the comfort of my third row seat. I am sat under (not literally) Statman and Kellie for 6 of the sessions.

Only downside is a 6:25am train tomorrow morning.

Come on John and Neil!
    TSF World Champion 2010
    TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
    BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Ok, I'm still a bit excited about the Higgins-Selby match, but let's try to find some objectivity anyway.

Higgins-Allen: As the Higgins-Selby match was getting towards the end, I was thinking that I didn't fancy Allen in a best of 33 against either player. The safety they played was out of this world. Allen needs to take his chances and avoid getting into safety battles, that's what Jamie Cope did, and he pushed Higgins all the way. Higgins is not the kind of player that slows the game down and makes it scrappy, even if it would hurt his opponent's game more than his. Still, he will be playing a great tactical game, of that I'm sure. If there is a slight advantage for Allen anywhere, maybe it's in the fact that he's some 10 years younger. Over four sessions, physical fitness may come into it. If Allen could find Higgins on a "sleepy" session, the way Selby did in the 2007 final, he might have a chance. Realistically, Higgins a strong favourite for me.

Murphy-Robertson: I haven't decided my prediction on this one yet. I'll try to convince myself one way or the other in the next couple of minutes. What makes this match exciting for me, is the competitiveness both players show. They like to think about specific opponents, and prepare a little plan for important matches such as this one. Robertson has a great record in SF's but he's never played one over four sessions. Murphy is a prolific loser of SF's, but he's already played them twice over four sessions, against Ebdon and Selby of all people, so he knows what it takes to get through. In this tournament, Murphy has got the long potting going again, Robertson's is still slightly underwhelming, at least statistically. Not much to choose between them in the breakbuilding, they've both made some lovely breaks and some pressure clearances. They've both missed a few balls as well, so there may be a couple of nervy frames. Murphy should have the advantage in the safety, Robertson is better physically. Actually, Robertson is known to play well in the late night frames, and there might be a couple of those as they play two evening sessions. I expect neither player to panic if they get a couple of frames behind, so it should be a close match.

There, I did not manage to convince myself either way.

Comment

John Higgins v Shaun Murphy final. THAT would be mouth watering.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

TBH, I'm suprised at Robertson, I didn't have him to beat Carter let alone Maguire.

I said in the other thread that the winner is going to come from the Higgins-Selby match, although, I must admit, that Murphy is looking Uk Champion-esque in the way he is playing.

I'd like to see Murphy v Higgins, when was the last time we had two former WCs playing each other? Williams and Doherty I think it was and that was a cracker.

Comment

I can't see John losing to Allen in best of 33 match. He proved that he can handle young and relenless players such as Cope and Selby. The other thing is that John will get plenty of chanses if Allen attempts every ball as he usualy does. Higgins-Murphy final is what i hope for.

Comment

John Higgins is favorite against Allen but we will have to see how he can recover after the 2 very long and intense matches he played before. Almost for sure those matches will leave marks on John and this will be a long match (4 sessions, first to 17), so that may be Allens chance.
              If John can rest well and recompose himself he will get to the final, where i hope he will play against Murphy.
              "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

In saying that though, this is probably Allen's (and Robertson's) first time at the best of 22 scenario. Higgins is a seasoned campaigner in this regards and Murphy has been there before.

Add to that, I think most people would agree with me when I say that John, considering his skills, form, etc etc does deserve to be 'three time world champion.' Winning it twice is special, but we are talking about John Higgins here.

Comment

In the longer matches, Higgins and Murphy will undoubtedly be more comfortable than Allen or Robertson. Saying that I still predict a Higgins Vs Robertson final though.

Comment

I would really like Murphy to win the Championship this year. He is the best striker of the ball and has the best cue action out of the 3 other semi finalists.

Plus, I think its time that the new generation took over - finally. Higgins is still only 33 but he is a late 90s to mid 2000s player. Its time for the new boys to take over and that is what we are seeing at this Championship.

Allen, Murphy and Robertson are all in there 20s. Higgins like I said is 33.

Comment

I think (hope) Allen will beat Higgins. Higgins has had two decider games so it must have been somewhat exhausting for him. Although, he's very experienced and it's four session semi so..

Roberts v Murphy is hard to predict, they've had some close matches along the way and both of them are obviously playing very well. I'd like Neil to reach the final.

So it's The Pistol v Robbo in the final, if you ask me

Ps. For some reason if find the name "Pistol" very amusing.. There is Rocket and Dynamite and Shotgun and then there is Pistol... I don't know it's just funny.. I'll get me coat

Comment

The first thing that strikes me is that 3 of those players have already won a ranking event this season. So, even if many expected to find Mark Selby or Stephen Maguire still in the race at this level, somehow we have a confirmation of who are the men in form.
                        This is valid for Ronnie's absence aswell: he had a rather strong first half of the season but after the Masters win he has been really struggling, as he himself akcnowledged.

Next, the way John Higgins won his matches over Jamie Cope, and above all, over Mark Selby in a way prove Ronnie's outlook on the tournament right. Indeed Ronnie said that IF they found their game, John and him were the only ones who's carreer record proved that they were really capable of finding the extra gear when it mattered. Ronnie proved it in the Masters, in January. John is proving it now and I must say he looks VERY solid.

I'm also impressed by Neil Robertson. He's matured a lot and the gritt he showed, especially against Ali, is really impressive.

Then of course we have Mark Allen ... at 23, he's climbed the rankings very very fast and now he shows no sign of fear or weakness. In his postmatch, Ronnie said that if he continued to play as brilliantly as he had against him he could very well win the whole thing. Well it seems he is.

And finally Shaun Murphy. Solid, reliable, never to be discounted.

I expect it all to be very, very close and enthralling and I really can't come up with a self-convincing prediction.
                        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Being a friend and a keen follower of neil, and been on the end of a few beltings in AUS from him. I hope that he makes the final and wins it for snooker sake in AUS. Dont see many juniors playing in my town but since neil is doing so well there, there is interest back and now i have younger players wanting to have a hit of snooker with me that really only like 8ball, but they have seen the light, LOL . Its great to see and hear things on the radio and in the papers,good for the sport i love!!

Go Neil

Comment

Originally Posted by longshot View Post
                            Being a friend and a keen follower of neil, and been on the end of a few beltings in AUS from him. I hope that he makes the final and wins it for snooker sake in AUS. Dont see many juniors playing in my town but since neil is doing so well there, there is interest back and now i have younger players wanting to have a hit of snooker with me that really only like 8ball, but they have seen the light, LOL . Its great to see and hear things on the radio and in the papers,good for the sport i love!!

Go Neil

great news
                            Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would be very happy to see either Robertson or Allen win the Championship but wouldn't begrudge Murphy or Higgins winning either.

I think Allen can match Higgins in the breakbuilding dept - but with Higgins immpeccable tactical game & vast experience over his younger opponent it's very likely to play such an important part especially if the match goes very close.

I have admired how Allen has acquited himself throughout this tournament.......with his attacking style of play and GREAT nerve he has shown he can compete with the best at the very highest level.

the Robertson - Murphy semi-final is a very difficult match to call. I think both players are very evenly matched especially when it comes to break-building and long pots - & both have produced a high standard of play (at times) during the tournament.

I think this match is very likely to go extremly close but i just favour a win for Robbo.
                              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Working...
                              X