World Cup - A success so far or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup - A success so far or not ?

Interested to know what everyone feels about the World Cup up to this point as we start moving to the business end of the competition ?

For me it has been great to get to watch some play at this time of the year as a start.

The quality as expected has varied, but have enjoyed watching some of the less well known names playing and seen a few bright spots from unexpected players. I know there has been criticism from some of the format, but I have actually enjoyed the best of five and alternate shot doubles formats. Something a bit different and a change from the normal run of the mill stuff that becomes a bit predictable. Pleased to see Australia & Hong Kong get through the group stages, would have been nicer to see some of the top teams get humbled and miss out, but suppose now that the knockout faze moves onwards the standard will improve overall.

So I reckon a success up to this point.

It depends what you mean by a success.

Personally, I've not watched much of it. As I don't have Sky Plus, or the ability to tape anything in any way, I've got a couple of days of it taped round other people's houses. As I'm going to have to do the same with all the snooker this month, I prioritised the Australian Open and the Wuxi Classic.

What I have seen, however, I have mixed feelings on. I love watching snooker, but haven't quite made up my mind whether this format works. I don't care for the two-on-two matches, somehow. I've not seen much, but what I have seen the rythym has got broken up somewhat when that happens. Also, I feel, playing as a team takes some of the tension away, as people aren't entirely responsible for what happens to them.

I think it's an okay format, which can be fun to dip in and out of.

Comment

I've enjoyed it alot. Didn't think it would be my cup of tea at the start but because it's snooker I watched it, and low and behold I think it's been a great success. Hopefully they'll be more of the same in the future.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
        I've enjoyed it alot. Didn't think it would be my cup of tea at the start but because it's snooker I watched it, and low and behold I think it's been a great success. Hopefully they'll be more of the same in the future.
        I kind of wish there had been more on in the evening, I must say. I'm watching it now, and saw the odd frame here and there, but was at work mainly. Didn't see it worthy of the effort of getting it taped. I may have got more into it if I'd been watching all week.

Comment

Well, I was afraid it would be one of these "fun" events, where players play a dumbed-down version of snooker, but it's been serious stuff throughout the tournament. I think the concept of not having wins and losses helped a lot, as every team was in with a chance of qualifying right until their last, or at least penultimate match. I also enjoyed the doubles frames, especially since they allowed the players to discuss shot selection between them. So I think the format has been a success, yes. It doesn't compare to ranking snooker, but it's still a good addition to the calendar, especially if it takes place every other year.

Having said all that, you can't say the actual staging of the tournament has been a success. It's been a disaster. The arena has been virtually empty for every match we've seen, which is a shame, because it looks like a good one. But with no crowd, the event might as well be played in a cubicle in Sheffield.

Comment

I have enjoyed this World Cup so far, and there has been no shortage of good matches. It's so good to see just how seriously all the players seem to be taking this event, and giving each and every shot that little more thought with everything at stake. The one thing that has struck me however (so far) is, just how few spectators that there have been for every match that I have seen anyway, which is a great pity. In Snooker as in most sports, it's the crowd that can play a big part on creating the atmosphere, which has sadly has been lacking. It's good to see team discussions taking place, but as I pointed out in a previous thread, it can be very frustrating when not being able to hear what is being said between any two players, especially when his partner has played a duff shot for instance. Surely attaching a microphone to all the players is not asking too much now is it..
            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I`ve watched quite a few matches and I can say that for me, it has been a pretty interestign stuff to watch. I think it`s a good format, but yea, being on the mornings isn`t an ideal situation and the crowd isn`t good.

But it`s been something different than most of the ranking events, so yeah, this kind of tournament should have its place

Comment

I have enjoyed it so far. I like the format, as previosuly mentioned by others, the unpredicablity of the alternate shots adds a twist and you can tell those players that like or dislike the format
                I also have enjoyed watching the new upcoming players from around the world, one that is memerable, was the Egyptian player (apologies cannot remember how to spell the name) and the very good strategic game against Fergal o'Brien.
                If only British EuroSport had better coverage, one day they will show two or more matches, the next nothing, then one match, very frustrating.
                A good start to the new season.
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've found it to be fun to watch too. Apparently the audiences are small because there's a long public holiday now, so the city is pretty much deserted. Pity. It's such a big step up for the lesser-known players but they've all represented their countries with a lot of class. Australia's Steve Mifsud had to endure two very long and trying frames against China (each an hour long I think) but kept his chin up and came out firing the next day to get Australia into the quarters. Champion.
                  Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Group match is totally different from pro match!
                    Just watched HK vs England, match 6 was so breathe taking, high standard defense, lot of discussion between teammates.... and at the end, note the frustration of Carter after shaking hands!

Comment

Originally Posted by saddam1 View Post
                      Group match is totally different from pro match!
                      Just watched HK vs England, match 6 was so breathe taking, high standard defense, lot of discussion between teammates.... and at the end, note the frustration of Carter after shaking hands!
                      when you get players moaning about bow ties you realise just how serious they took it.

Comment

You seldom see Ali or Ken blaming the playing conditions or a dress code violation for their losses

The davis cup like format of play was in my opinion very entertaining. It seemed that the players enjoyed it too. I think we might introduce something like that in the Northern Germany's team competitions as well.

Also the event gave many non/on the verge pros a chance to compete against the top players and present themselves on the tv. Additionally representing their country seemed a boost to all players.

I would very much like this team cup become a regular event in the calendar. Preferably in different locations, - where the chance of some audience turning up would be better than in Bankok
                        Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Originally Posted by miscuehamburg View Post
                          You seldom see Ali or Ken blaming the playing conditions or a dress code violation for their losses

The davis cup like format of play was in my opinion very entertaining. It seemed that the players enjoyed it too. I think we might introduce something like that in the Northern Germany's team competitions as well.

Also the event gave many non/on the verge pros a chance to compete against the top players and present themselves on the tv. Additionally representing their country seemed a boost to all players.

I would very much like this team cup become a regular event in the calendar. Preferably in different locations, - where the chance of some audience turning up would be better than in Bankok
                          thing is if they weren't competitive they would be working in a bank and playing snooker for fun these guys are professionals and pride takes over when they play .......playing for a country adds another element no matter what sport it is and it manifested it self in a out of character way today with ken in particular.

Comment

Snooker is brilliant no matter what the format or the venue for me. There are many new fresh and exciting ideas about the game and new sponsors coming on board daily. This team game ignites passion for snooker back home in the respective counties and the format gives a chance for the up and coming talent encouraging them Steve Mifsud from Australia does not look out of his depth at all and is thriving playing alongside Robertson for example. Personally I think they should have a top ranked pro (if they have one) and a top ranked am player in every team because it creates more interest and helps the development of the game, giving more of a chance to everyone to compete. its all good though I particularly enjoyed watching that kid from Poland play well. Any true snooker lover has got to say this year is the best year in snooker for a decade. It is becoming a worldwide sport again thanks to matchroom and that is a good thing in my book. Asia and Australia are on board big time. Europe is coming along nicely. South America (Brazil) love it. Next stop Canada and the States need to get with it again, although Canada will be easier than the States to break into if this does happen snooker will be quids in.

Comment

It has been a very entertaining tournament. Even the poor standard at times hasn't bothered me. Nice to see players you wouldn't normally see and see that they are, in patches, also very good players while the top professionals sometimes play like I do! Tells that it's a different mindset playing for your team and for your country. And also there's a serious prize money at stake. Short format at early stages didn't bring any surprises, really. So the cream rises to the top despite it. Of course, I'd vote for longer format but it could be a bit too much for the players as the frames seem to have a longer duration here, 40, 45 minutes, even an hour or so...

So I think it has been a success, it's sad that the audience didn't find this tournament early on...

Comment

Working...
                              X