My view - The World Open format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
    I must say I even enjoyed the round-robin format a few years ago and I'm sure it could have been successful if there had been enough financial or ranking-points incentives separating every placing to ensure players wanted to win the 'dead' matches.
    I thought the same, so I'm happy that I'm not left alone with this one. I wish round robin format survived longer and proved that it could be a fascinating system..
    Back on the topic, please someone save the honour of Welsh Open..
    All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

I really don't understand why Welsh Open has less points than other tournaments.

Another point is that World Open was far more interesting than Shanghaï Masters.

When there are few Ranking events, you can admit that there are very important and Bo9 is the format.

On PTC, there are 12 events & many players involved.

Shall we continue to consider snooker as top16 & the rest or snooker as 96 pro players ?

Comment

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
        I thought the same, so I'm happy that I'm not left alone with this one. I wish round robin format survived longer and proved that it could be a fascinating system..
        Back on the topic, please someone save the honour of Welsh Open..
        Well if they had got a double elimination competition then each match would be worth something to the group. The two players who win two games winning through, the two who lose two games going out. It would however probably take a 2 table situation. But the postitive being is that with each match worth something, the chances of fixing is very much reduced.

Comment

I have had so many people say that the World Open format is easier on the eyes and I have to agree.

Recall the days when Joe Davis was playing best of 135 or so frames, can you imagine if snooker hadnt moved on then!

I agree that the world champs should be shortened but I acvtually like seeing some snooker for the 17 days that its on TV and many would miss that.

So how about having a Festival which includes the main World Champs event and include some high class profile tournaments which should include Ladies World Finals, World Amateur finals etc.

So we get a reduced world champs and players get a chance to get on TV at amateur level. Something to play for!

Comment

I have just read some more replies regarding in particular the priz money

This tournament was a 'World' Open. It should attract big money for that status. The board has put together these comps with money, they're on a roll, dont knock it now!

Comment

re The World Championships

As I understand it, the need for a session break on the Thursday is to allow the venue to be set-up for the one table format.

I think that is where the change can be made. If the semi finals were reduced to a best of 27 frames, rather than the ridiculous (IMO) best of 33, we could have 2 times 3 sessions of 9 frames, which would take 6 sessions rather than the 9 it now takes.

This way we can all take the Thursday off, which would give everyone a break before the semi finals, during which they will play a lot less frames and therefore be given every chance to recuperate before the best of 35 frame final, which should stay as it is.

That's my tuppence on that one. It's been said before that the best of 33 is too close to the format for the final, which should be the ultimate test, and while I understand why the change was made (to make sure there wasn't a short session of 7 frames in there) I think they went the wrong way in extending rather than reducing the length of the semi finals.

Still loved the format of the World Open by the way. It guaranteed total commitment and tension from the first shot of the first frame.

I'm now looking forward to the non-ranking single frame tournament even more!

Comment

Originally Posted by rambon View Post
                re The World Championships

As I understand it, the need for a session break on the Thursday is to allow the venue to be set-up for the one table format.

I think that is where the change can be made. If the semi finals were reduced to a best of 27 frames, rather than the ridiculous (IMO) best of 33, we could have 2 times 3 sessions of 9 frames, which would take 6 sessions rather than the 9 it now takes.

This way we can all take the Thursday off, which would give everyone a break before the semi finals, during which they will play a lot less frames and therefore be given every chance to recuperate before the best of 35 frame final, which should stay as it is.

That's my tuppence on that one. It's been said before that the best of 33 is too close to the format for the final, which should be the ultimate test, and while I understand why the change was made (to make sure there wasn't a short session of 7 frames in there) I think they went the wrong way in extending rather than reducing the length of the semi finals.

Still loved the format of the World Open by the way. It guaranteed total commitment and tension from the first shot of the first frame.

I'm now looking forward to the non-ranking single frame tournament even more!

I think that in taking a whole break for a day drags the tournament out. The reason for the 7 frame sessions at the 1 table stage was because of the huge amount of sessions played at that stage over successive days. - A potential winner may play over 8 successive days hence the shorter sessions to reduce exertions. Having three 9 frame sessions for a best of 27 frame Semi-Final I think is too large session for that stage hence why the shorter sessions - compared to the 9 and 10 frame sessions that the first round brings.

Comment

I liked the tournament, but I still wonder if it would have been so exciting, if all the top 16 players had met each other in the early stages, and only one or two of them had reached the quarterfinals instead of 6 players from top 8!

About the world championship. It´s nearly perfect, but the finals often ends way too late. This year I left at about 2 am central european time, when two frames (Could even have been more) was left to play, and the same happened when Selby and Higgins played. And then move it away from the bank holiday that´s only a holiday in UK.
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
                    I liked the tournament, but I still wonder if it would have been so exciting, if all the top 16 players had met each other in the early stages, and only one or two of them had reached the quarterfinals instead of 6 players from top 8!

About the world championship. It´s nearly perfect, but the finals often ends way too late. This year I left at about 2 am central european time, when two frames (Could even have been more) was left to play, and the same happened when Selby and Higgins played. And then move it away from the bank holiday that´s only a holiday in UK.
                    Which is why I think that the tournament should start on the Friday and end on the Sunday - so it runs onto the BHM rather than the Tuesday. A weekend of Snooker for the final would be good. - TBH they only need IMO to have the morning off mid event to actually rerig the stage on the set up for the Semi-finals.. Having a look at my Crucible Almanac - the 1982 format used this style. Have the first two matches start on the Friday night and then finish it on the Sunday.

Comment

Originally Posted by PaddyLowson View Post
                      I think that in taking a whole break for a day drags the tournament out. The reason for the 7 frame sessions at the 1 table stage was because of the huge amount of sessions played at that stage over successive days. - A potential winner may play over 8 successive days hence the shorter sessions to reduce exertions. Having three 9 frame sessions for a best of 27 frame Semi-Final I think is too large session for that stage hence why the shorter sessions - compared to the 9 and 10 frame sessions that the first round brings.
                      I have to diagree on a coouple of points.

Surely one of the reasons for the 7 frame sessions was because it was the only way to shoehorn a best of 31 frame match into 4 sessions?

Also, I think if you made the Thursday a day off it would no effect whatsoever on the flow of the tournament. Officials, players and spectators alike would probably be grateful of a day in the fresh air and a lie-in, and the players would all have a day off before starting their semi finals which would leave them refreshed before attacking the 1 table format.

Comment

Working...
                      X