Australian Open 2012 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Open 2012 - Discussion

Right, I suspect this will not prove to be the most popular tournament, but we should at least have some discussion...

I enjoyed it last year. It was well attended, and we saw some good early-season snooker. It's a weaker field this year, but there are still a lot of players worth seeing.

Not much time to look at the draw at this point, so keeping it short this time...

Quarter 1:

Stuart Bingham v. Matthew Selt
    Andrew Higginson v. Ryan Day
    Barry Hawkins v. Xiao Guodong
    Matthew Stevens v. Liang Wenbo

A very open quarter, without a top player. I think Bingham has to be the favourite to get through, considering his recent form and success. He ran out of steam in the Wuxi Classic final, but most players seem to struggle with these travels to the far east, so I don't expect anyone to be particularly fresh. Having won this event last year, Bingham will probably enjoy playing in Australia again, as will Matthew Selt who reached the QF last year. Selt is usually strong early in the season, so he could take advantage of a fairly weak quarter. Ryan Day could also go through, a former ranking finalist in Malta and China, so he could be dangerous in Australia as well. As for Higginson, certainly can't rule him out either, he is a seeded player here after all. It really is open, but if there is a favourite, it has to be Bingham.

The battle of the British against the Chinese players should be pretty interesting, particularly Stevens against Liang. They met last year as well, Liang winning 5-4, soon after his success at the World Cup. He might be favourite again, considering Stevens had to withdraw from the Wuxi Classic a couple of weeks ago, so he probably isn't at his best. Hawkins did play at the Wuxi Classic, but didn't really trouble Mark Selby in the 1st round. He too has had success in the far east before, so I wouldn't put it past him to play a strong tournament. Once again, very open, but if I had to choose I would go for Liang.

Quarter 2:

Martin Gould v. Ken Doherty
    Allister Carter v. Cao Y./J.Younger
    Mark Davis v. Jack Lisowski
    Neil Robertson v. Nigel Bond

The second quarter is quite similar, Neil Robertson being the only outstanding player. Martin Gould has been a terrible seed over the last year, doing absolutely nothing in the ranking events, so I could see him being in trouble against Doherty in the 1st round. Doherty played well in Australia last year, reaching a rare semi-final, and looked alright in the Wuxi Classic as well. I think he has an excellent chance here, because Carter is a bit suspect as well. He had a terrible start to last season, and lost in the 1st round of the Wuxi Classic this year as well. I think he will be more dangerous in the British events towards the end of the year, but maybe not so much here. Cao Yupeng? His first appearance on the big stage after an impressive performance in the WC. It's the kind of draw he could take advantage of, but we've seen many players in a similar position have a pretty quiet period after a big success, so I don't expect him to do too much here. I'll go with Doherty.

Then we finally have a section of the draw that looks less open. I will be very surprised if Lisowski or Bond get through, as it really should be between Davis and Robertson. I thought Robertson played fairly well last year, but was unlucky to come up against an inspired Dominic Dale. I don't think he will underestimate anyone here. He is one of the big favourites in any event these days, but particularly here, with so many top players missing. I'm sure he will be really determined to get the title. He will need to be careful against Bond in the 1st round though, having lost to him in the German Masters last year. I think a bigger problem could be Mark Davis in the 2nd round. His 6-reds success aside, he seems in pretty good form in proper snooker as well, having reached the SF of the Wuxi Classic, playing very solid snooker. If Robertson cracks under the "home pressure" a bit, Davis will take him out, just as he did Ding in China. What about Lisowski? Well, can't rule him out, but he still hasn't impressed me in a televised match, so I can't really see him beating the likes of Robertson here.

Quarter 3:

Shaun Murphy v. Marcus Campbell
    Dominic Dale v. Tom Ford
    Peter Ebdon v. Michael Holt
    Ding Junhui v. A.McManus/J.Mifsud

At first glance, the seeds in this quarter look stronger than in the first two. We have Shuan Murphy, a pretty unpredictable player who has played fairly poorly in his last couple of visits to China, but played well in Australia last year. He also played well in Brazil, so it's tough to predict what kind of state he will be in here. Marcus Campbell played very well in the Wuxi Classic, reached the semi-finals, so he could be a very tricky opponent for Murphy here. As could Dominic Dale who played well in Australia last season, and generally enjoys these occasions. That just leaves Tom Ford as a bit of an outsider this time, even though I wouldn't rule him out completely either. I think I will play it safe and go for Murphy.

The other spot could be decided between Ebdon and Ding, but they are both very inconsistent, and always likely to play a poor tournament here and there. Ding certainly played poorly in the Wuxi Classic, but he was probably under a lot of pressure to do something there. He is not under the spotlight here, and I think that's when he is at his most dangerous, when everyone kind of forgets about him. I suppose Peter Ebdon is similar in that regard, but he has fewer good days now, being one of the veterans. His performance in last season's China Open proved he can still challenge for titles, but it's been 1st round exits since, and he could be in more trouble here. He beat Ding the last time they played, but generally has a poor record against him, so I would make Ding the favourite.

Quarter 4:

Stephen Lee v. Rory McLeod
    Ricky Walden v. Jamie Cope
    Joe Perry v. Marco Fu
    Mark Selby v. Jamie Burnett

The fourth quarter is perhaps the strongest here, with some of the most dangerous qualifiers, and a couple of in-form seeds. I expected Stephen Lee to play a strong tournament in Wuxi, but he was pretty disappointing. He played well in the Asian PTC event, so he has to have some sort of form... Ricky Walden certainly does, an excellent performance to win his second ranking title. As an excellent traveler, he has to be considered one of the favourites here, particularly since so many top players are missing. Walden against Lee could be a very high quality 2nd round clash, as could Lee against Cope. Cope is also good in the far east, but unfortunately hasn't developed into as tough a player as he would have hoped for over the last couple of seasons. He could easily find some form and get through this quarter, but at the moment, he has to be second favourite against the likes of Walden.

And finally, Mark Selby finds himself in a fairly tricky part of the draw, but he is still a comfortable favourite. Jamie Burnett played his best tournament in a while in Wuxi, so he is not the easiest qualifier at this point in time. Perry and Fu are very solid as well, at least on their day, which is not all that often, to be fair. Perry and Selby actually played each other in Australia last year, Selby winning on that occasion. I suppose Fu is Selby's biggest danger, because when he plays well, he plays well above what his ranking suggests, probably the most dangerous player on the tour in that regard, along with Ebdon perhaps. Having said that, Selby rarely loses in the early rounds on these travels, so I expect him to go through.

Possible QF lineup:

Stuart Bingham v. Liang Wenbo
    Ken Doherty v. Neil Robertson
    Shaun Murphy v. Ding Junhui
    Ricky Walden v. Mark Selby

There we are, it could be an interesting week. I hope to be up in the morning to watch it.

When does it start?

I thought it was scheduled for an hour ago.

Comment

Originally Posted by FerruleFox View Post
      When does it start?

I thought it was scheduled for an hour ago.
      me too ... bet365 first had a long distance video view from the back of the arena, then it went to "coming soon" ... now they've removed the 1am UK time listing and are just showing the matches due to start at 4am ...

not a terribly auspicious start ... dunno if it was due to technical problems or TV rights issues ... shame really, I was looking forward to seeing McManus in action against James Mifsud ... can't see me waiting up to see Rory McLeod in action (that's probably a contradiction in terms!) ...

[edit] ... was trying to think what the proper word for "Rory McLeod in action" is - just got it ... it's an oxymoron ...
      Last edited by DandyA; 9 July 2012, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Oxymoron indeed. lol

Yeah it's too bad. I have to go to bed soon.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
          me too ... bet365 first had a long distance video view from the back of the arena, then it went to "coming soon" ... now they've removed the 1am UK time listing and are just showing the matches due to start at 4am ...

not a terribly auspicious start ... dunno if it was due to technical problems or TV rights issues ... shame really, I was looking forward to seeing McManus in action against James Mifsud ... can't see me waiting up to see Rory McLeod in action (that's probably a contradiction in terms!) ...

[edit] ... was trying to think what the proper word for "Rory McLeod in action" is - just got it ... it's an oxymoron ...
          David Hendon: we have the clock on Rory Mcleod ..... poor clock
          Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
            Right, I suspect this will not prove to be the most popular tournament, but we should at least have some discussion...
            Maybe with some of the pros (this year at least) but I think it could grow to something significant or maybe it should be "made" into something significant.

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
            I enjoyed it last year.
            seconded

Question, not sure if this was asked last year, but why the location? What about Melbourne or Sydney to give the tournament more presence?
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

rory mcleod gpot an outrageous fluke
              Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

did Jamie Cope start with a 95, 96 or ton? u know how long live scoring take to put them up

Comment

rory with his usual refusal to shake a females hand

Comment

according to the commentator (not hendon the other one) Lee just beat Murdo McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      Question, not sure if this was asked last year, but why the location? What about Melbourne or Sydney to give the tournament more presence?
                      It was asked, yes, but I still haven't heard the answer. Still, Lee-McLeod was better attended than most of the Wuxi Classic, and it looks like it's going to be full for Robertson.

Comment

Mike Hallet fancies himself as the man with the golden puns

Comment

Neil wins first frame 135 total clerence
                          Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

that blue deserved a century shame he missed the double

Comment

Stuart Bingham v. Matthew Selt
                              Andrew Higginson v. Ryan Day
                              Barry Hawkins v. Xiao Guodong
                              Matthew Stevens v. Liang Wenbo

Quarter 2:

Martin Gould v. Ken Doherty
                              Allister Carter v. Cao Y./J.Younger
                              Mark Davis v. Jack Lisowski
                              Neil Robertson v. Nigel Bond

Quarter 3:

Shaun Murphy v. Marcus Campbell