http://www.sportlemon.tv/20131107/vv...59-679596.html

and

Ebdon v Ursenbacher
    http://www.sportlemon.tv/20131108/vv...75-680071.html

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Easy day for Anthony Hamilton today .....Maguire then Williams......Trump next !

Seems to have found a bit of form .......good luck for your next match Anthony :snooker:
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Few days into this event and only two posts on the forum about it........ something tells me these events are finally going to be put to rest. Seen a picture earlier today from the venue when Judd was playing and all 4 people watching in the arena were Judd's mates.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but are these events not just a way of draining money out of the amateur players to give to the big boys, relieving sponsors of money they could of spent much better putting into social media.

I want to see all these guys playing at a venue with some character and history, for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow not a few quid they will moan about winning two weeks later on Twitter.

I spoke on the phone a few days ago to a young player who was literally in tears because all he wants to do is play Snooker but with paying between £200-£400 to enter events, paying for traveling and on average £80 a night for hotels it has put his family on the edge of financial breakdown.

He called me to see if I could help with some sponsorship which I told him that if I could not get any positive feedback from sponsoring a professional player then I am not going to put a penny into sponsoring a amateur player. Don't worry I am not heartless ******* and having known him for a few years I offered to pay for the next event he enters.

I will write something more detailed on the blog later next week but the costs of being a amateur player since Snooker stopped at Pontins has rocketed to the point that it is just not viable anymore. Barry Hearn's motto of if you can not make then you are not good enough may well just come back to bite him on the ass when the little guys who are lining his pockets at the moment stop entering event, then where will EuroSport be? covering Tiddlywinks in Poland thats where along with all the viewers on their iPads because they can not watch the official flash based World Snooker streams.

Comment

I will be watching (on my computer) Neil Robertson (AUS) v Fraser Patrick (TSF)
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Ferret,
          There are 2 young lads in our club who, given the guidance and most of all, sponsorship, have a real chance to make the grade. They are both from Liverpool, where minimum wage is the norm. Their parents both work but could never afford to pay for all these events. I feel desperately sorry for them. The talent is there but just cannot be showcased. One of them qualified via our local "snooker backer" event so is a tiny step up the ladder but it still boils down to money.
          Here's hoping for a bit of a shake up in the amateur world (especially our very young talent)....but I somehow can't see it happening!!
          You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
            Few days into this event and only two posts on the forum about it........ something tells me these events are finally going to be put to rest. Seen a picture earlier today from the venue when Judd was playing and all 4 people watching in the arena were Judd's mates.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but are these events not just a way of draining money out of the amateur players to give to the big boys, relieving sponsors of money they could of spent much better putting into social media.

I want to see all these guys playing at a venue with some character and history, for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow not a few quid they will moan about winning two weeks later on Twitter.

I spoke on the phone a few days ago to a young player who was literally in tears because all he wants to do is play Snooker but with paying between £200-£400 to enter events, paying for traveling and on average £80 a night for hotels it has put his family on the edge of financial breakdown.

He called me to see if I could help with some sponsorship which I told him that if I could not get any positive feedback from sponsoring a professional player then I am not going to put a penny into sponsoring a amateur player. Don't worry I am not heartless ******* and having known him for a few years I offered to pay for the next event he enters.

I will write something more detailed on the blog later next week but the costs of being a amateur player since Snooker stopped at Pontins has rocketed to the point that it is just not viable anymore. Barry Hearn's motto of if you can not make then you are not good enough may well just come back to bite him on the ass when the little guys who are lining his pockets at the moment stop entering event, then where will EuroSport be? covering Tiddlywinks in Poland thats where along with all the viewers on their iPads because they can not watch the official flash based World Snooker streams.
            I agree with this post -There are some players down the ranks who's family's have put everything into them succeeding in the sport and many lowly ranked players that struggle to make ends meet - how many of them compete in everything? Not enough money to justify the size of the tour but yet some lower ranked players do get some success in these events on occasion and it can help keep them going. Fact is Barry Hearn is wrong when he says if your good enough as there are probably players that have the talent but not the resources to keep going whilst they develop and grow in the game and this financial pressure must have an effect on more than just the odd one.

I think these events are good in a way if say you or me turned up for a enjoyable day outs snooker aiming to perhaps take a odd frame off a pro and have nice day out and a laugh with some of the players - but like x-factor there are also those that turn up deluded that they have the game to compete at that level too so it can be seen as milking the am ranks a bit to fund the pro game as you say ferret.

There is probably a hope that one or two of these events will develop into something else and draw sponsors like they have in Europe but I doubt it - I agree that the technical broadcasting side and interactive new media needs improvement across the board too and World Snooker would be best placed if they invested in developing this like you say.

Great post ferret and nice touch paying the lad in an event - and you might think this heartless statement but is this not just kicking a can down the road?

Comment

Great post Kevin . I am sure with Barry Hearn being the astute businessman that he is , he will already had feedback from his employees about this ......well you would like to hope so .

Will be interesting to see what evolves in the next few months' .

Really hope he sorts something out , as there is a lot of talent out there and would hate to see it wasted .

Comment

Great post Fezza , agree 100 % , short term gain no long term hindsight . Hearn has tunnel vision and seems to forget the grass roots of the game is where it all starts.

Comment

100pc agree....this actually rolls nicely into "will chinese players dominate the sport" because they are nurturing their talents while in this country it's somewhat oppressed. something needs to be done as there are so many talented people who play

Comment

That's absolutely bang on Luke, we as a country definitely don't nurture talent......

Like has be said previously, it will be interesting to see if Hearn's advisors see this!!

Hopefully this just working progress and things will change to help the younger/amateur players coming through!!
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

That's some result for Andrew Higginson ...4-0 against John Higgins .

Time for another cue John

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                        That's some result for Andrew Higginson ...4-0 against John Higgins .

Time for another cue John

Yes great result for Andrew, but Higgins is going through a bit of a slump atm isn't he.

That was a cracking 133 clearance from Maflin in the 2nd frame, and a very nice 37 in the 1st, potted some incredable balls, the red along the green cushion for starters. Shame he missed the brown, looks to be in the zone though, 3 - 0 up now...

-
                        The slow and labourious,

Comment

Oh well Jimmy, at least it was quick, if not painless. Great performance from Maflin, 4 - 0.

-
                          The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                            I will be watching (on my computer) Neil Robertson (AUS) v Fraser Patrick (TSF)
                            You got a link to that game a was playing at pro am with frazz on we'd and he was telling me he was playing Robertson

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                              You got a link to that game a was playing at pro am with frazz on we'd and he was telling me he was playing Robertson
                              http://www.frombar.com/

and scroll down, it's on table 1
                              Last edited by cantpotforshíte; 9 November 2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X