The absence of Ronnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    I'd have sex with The Queen. Not because I'd want to. But imagine you could hand over a fiver in a shop and go; "I've had her." The bragging rights would be immense.
    Trips to see a psychiatrist might be a bit expensive though........................lol
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
      What point are you trying to make? That the sport can't survive without the World Champion? That the World Champion is the sports biggest name? Seriously, I don't understand what Ronnie being World Champion has to do with this discussion one bit.

What about the years he didn't win it. Was Neil Robertson a bigger name than Ronnie when he won the 2010 World Championship?
      Any sport can survive without the world champion and best player. It just doesn't survive as well. Missing Ronnie is one thing; missing Ronnie as reigning WC and defending champion of other titles is an even bigger miss. That's why his current titles are relevant, because he's in great form.

Comment

Originally Posted by daffie View Post
        Well my personal opinion is that ROS is absolutely an asset to snooker. I'm talking about the Ronnie of late...who is very focused and has matured over the past year or so. He's not my favorite player by all means, not even close. But I do really like watching him when he's " all there". He can be electrifying to watch when he is. If he's not bothered, then I find him obnoxious and can't be bothered.

Oh and even Judd is slowly maturing, or so it seems to me. Which of couse seems rather logical as he is still very young and learning all the time. I would love to see Judd develop into an allround matchplayer like Higgins and even ROS at times when he's really focused, with a strong tactical game as well. Not feeling he has to go for each and every pot, but instead play the percentages.

Anyway...just my thoughts and feelings on the subject.
        Got to disagree with you there about "maturing" into an all round match player making anyone more ineresting. The reason Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, George Best, Muhammed Ali et al were/are so adored is because they split the popular vote between those who think everyone should conduct themselves in the so called proper manner all the time, and those of us who have to conduct ourselves in the proper manner every working day in order to pay the bills and raise our families and need someone to rage against the tyranny of common sense and show that the rebel can still win by going against the grain against the establishment, the establishment being those in control and those who allow themselves to be controlled.

The present players contract is a perfect example, all players bar one signed it even if they disagreed with it, Ronnie didn't because he disagreed with it and had the balls to say so unlike the gutless gimps who just shrugged their shoulders muttering to themselves and surrendering with a whimper. If all the players agreed not to sign it then it would have had to be negotiated to be more favourable to all rather than just bowing down to mein fuhrer Hearn "SIEG HEIL"

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          Got to disagree with you there about "maturing" into an all round match player making anyone more ineresting. The reason Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, George Best, Muhammed Ali et al were/are so adored is because they split the popular vote between those who think everyone should conduct themselves in the so called proper manner all the time, and those of us who have to conduct ourselves in the proper manner every working day in order to pay the bills and raise our families and need someone to rage against the tyranny of common sense and show that the rebel can still win by going against the grain against the establishment, the establishment being those in control and those who allow themselves to be controlled.

The present players contract is a perfect example, all players bar one signed it even if they disagreed with it, Ronnie didn't because he disagreed with it and had the balls to say so unlike the gutless gimps who just shrugged their shoulders muttering to themselves and surrendering with a whimper. If all the players agreed not to sign it then it would have had to be negotiated to be more favourable to all rather than just bowing down to mein fuhrer Hearn "SIEG HEIL"
          They need a proper union. Just look how much better off the manufacturers in F1 are, since they formed FOTA and told Bernie what they wanted, not what Bernie told them they needed.

Comment

I didn't know Sid Waddell died! That's tragic. RIP

Comment

Ronnie's been threatening to go MIA for years. He obviously doesn't want to be a full time player right now, and he hasn't wanted to for a long time. I'm ok with that. Everybody should be used to it by now.

Also, it's dangerous to put snooker's future success on his shoulders. He's made it very clear he doesn't want that kind of responsibility.

Comment

Well my personal opinion is that ROS is absolutely an asset to snooker. I'm talking about the Ronnie of late...who is very focused and has matured over the past year or so. He's not my favorite player by all means, not even close. But I do really like watching him when he's " all there". He can be electrifying to watch when he is. If he's not bothered, then I find him obnoxious and can't be bothered.

Oh and even Judd is slowly maturing, or so it seems to me. Which of couse seems rather logical as he is still very young and learning all the time. I would love to see Judd develop into an allround matchplayer like Higgins and even ROS at times when he's really focused, with a strong tactical game as well. Not feeling he has to go for each and every pot, but instead play the percentages.

Anyway...just my thoughts and feelings on the subject.

Rather strange and very much over the top reply to my very own personal opinions on ROS, Trump and snooker. "Maturing into an all-round match player" has imo *absolutely zilch* to do with any of the points that you are trying so hard to push down my throat, like "rage against tyranny..." and "going against the grain" and dribble like that...you sound like you have some serious issues there. Really...WTF has this anything to do with my personal opinions on my favorite type of snooker?!

I am completely baffeld by your post...but nevermind
                Last edited by daffie; 17 August 2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Rather strange and very much over the top reply to my very own personal opinions on ROS, Trump and snooker. "Maturing into an all-round match player" has imo *absolutely zilch* to do with any of the points that you are trying so hard to push down my throat, like "rage against tyranny..." and "going against the grain" and dribble like that...you sound like you have some serious issues there. Really...WTF has this anything to do with my personal opinions on my favorite type of snooker?!

I am completely baffeld by your post...but nevermind
                  I am not trying to push anything down your throat at all, just pointing out that certain people who happen to behave in different ways to your own values are very much appreciated by an awful lot of people like myself who don't give a monkey's about measuring up to the ethos of so called normal behaviour.
                  If everyone was a mature match player then there would be no point in watching snooker except to see who wins and for me and an awful lot of others that is not entertainment.
                  If you're going to quote me at least get the context right, "rage against tyranny" is not what I posted, read it again and this time take in all the words and you might not be so baffled by my erudite dribble.

" Really... WTF has this anything to do with my personal opinions on my favourite type of snooker".

Does that bold print make any sense to you daffie, for it baffles me.

Comment

I am not trying to push anything down your throat at all, just pointing out that certain people who happen to behave in different ways to your own values are very much appreciated by an awful lot of people like myself who don't give a monkey's about measuring up to the ethos of so called normal behaviour.
                    If everyone was a mature match player then there would be no point in watching snooker except to see who wins and for me and an awful lot of others that is not entertainment.
                    If you're going to quote me at least get the context right, "rage against tyranny" is not what I posted, read it again and this time take in all the words and you might not be so baffled by my erudite dribble.

" Really... WTF has this anything to do with my personal opinions on my favourite type of snooker".

Maybe my "WTF" was a bit "over the top" as well, but that's just because I felt (and still do) your points really had nothing to do with my points. You quoted me, that's why my response to your specific points. I quoted yourself in parts, because it would otherwise get to be a longer reply...but I did definately get your points.

I enjoy all types of snooker, some a bit more, and some a lot more than other types. Some players I enjoy more than others, but I still have the utmost respect for each and everyone. My only point was that I'm seeing Trumps advance from an all-out-potter to a more complete (what I called "mature") player...and that I personally like it, that's all. I never said that being a mature player is the definitive for making a player more interesting. Everyone's got his/her own favorites and opinions.

No hard feelings of course. Cheers. (it's much too hot anyway for heated discussions )

Comment

Not the WTF daffie, I can take a bit of sledging, I have a hard skin, the whole of the bold print doesn't make any sense. Take out the anything and it does.

My overall point is that successful players like Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry and John Higgins, who at the time of their dominance conduct themselves in the "correct" manner become the establishment of the game. They then represent the establishment, not only of the game, but of the establishment in life that controls us all, from the supervisor and boss at work to the police, the military, the taxman and the government.
                      To see someone like Alex Higgins ripping off his dickie bow and throwing his whole body at everything, for his whole style was anti-establishment as well, in defeating Steve Davis was akin to watching and even taking part in an overthrowing of the establishment and the momentary sense of freedom felt by this act of rebellion brought a feeling of elation that cannot be matched by Peter Ebdon beating Stephen Hendry in a world final.

We get this from Ronnie only when he is at his brilliant but intermittant best yet prevails, not when he knuckles down and plays the percentages, because then he is no different.

Comment

Vive la difference. True among people and players. I'm not a big fan of Ebdon (though his determination and workrate are great attributes) but at least he's not a clone. Just the worst thing I can imagine are smiling Hearn bots that trot out the Hearn line at press conferences and behave with even less character than door stop.

Comment

Not the WTF daffie, I can take a bit of sledging, I have a hard skin, the whole of the bold print doesn't make any sense. Take out the anything and it does.

My overall point is that successful players like Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry and John Higgins, who at the time of their dominance conduct themselves in the "correct" manner become the establishment of the game. They then represent the establishment, not only of the game, but of the establishment in life that controls us all, from the supervisor and boss at work to the police, the military, the taxman and the government.
                          To see someone like Alex Higgins ripping off his dickie bow and throwing his whole body at everything, for his whole style was anti-establishment as well, in defeating Steve Davis was akin to watching and even taking part in an overthrowing of the establishment and the momentary sense of freedom felt by this act of rebellion brought a feeling of elation that cannot be matched by Peter Ebdon beating Stephen Hendry in a world final.

We get this from Ronnie only when he is at his brilliant but intermittant best yet prevails, not when he knuckles down and plays the percentages, because then he is no different.
                          I don't think we will ever find ourselves in agreement on this topic. Again, I remain confused about why you decided to respond to my post in particular, and what your points (anti-establishment/political/whatever you might call it) have to do with my points, which are merely my opinions regarding the way ROS and Trump play the game of snooker. I wasn't talking politics...

I have also explained that with a "mature player", I basically mean an "allround player"...which imo (personal opinion again) is necessary to be able to play (and be somewhat succesful in) the game of snooker...the game dictates it (not the rulling body or the people in power). The past has shown that an allround game is often needed (potting, tactical, and safety). To me that does not mean "someone in the correct manner becoming the establishment of the game" as you say. This has absolutely no relevance to my post or the points that I made. I'm purely talking snooker and the way a player plays his game.

I hope that I found the right words in explaining my points, as I'm not native English-speaking.

Anyway, as mr Physics says..."vive la difference"
                          Last edited by daffie; 18 August 2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Just looking at the next couple of events play, to try and decide if it's worth watching in the pub. (Don't have Sky Sports, my internet is wank at picking up live streams.)

Thursday 6th Sept, Biddulph Valley LC, Biddulph, Staffs
                            Stephen Lee v Peter Ebdon
                            Mark Selby v Neil Robertson

That event doesn't hold my interest too much, strangely. Selby and Robertson are two players I like, but I aint too fussed about seeing them in the PL somehow. Somehow those two players playing Shot Clock snooker doesn't appeal to me, don't think it'll fit their game shomehow. It'll be interesting to see how Ebdon's play ekes out though.

Thursday 13th Sept, The Sands, Carlisle
                            Shaun Murphy v Stuart Bingham
                            John Higgins v Mark Allen

More interested in these matches, somehow. Might try and make watching this one.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                              Vive la difference. True among people and players. I'm not a big fan of Ebdon (though his determination and workrate are great attributes) but at least he's not a clone. Just the worst thing I can imagine are smiling Hearn bots that trot out the Hearn line at press conferences and behave with even less character than door stop.
                              there are many peter ebdon worshipers here who admire his shot-clockless play. well, stage peter ebdon, mark selby and rory mcleod in a 3-man event and see how many tickets are sold.

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
                                there are many peter ebdon worshipers here who admire his shot-clockless play. well, stage peter ebdon, mark selby and rory mcleod in a 3-man event and see how many tickets are sold.
                                You might very well be correct. I do enjoy watching Ebdon play sometimes though, Selby as well. However not a big fan. McCloud lost all the little respect that I had for him when I heard he refuses to shake hands with the female refs...I know it's his religion and all that, but somehow it totally baffles me, and I find this utterly annoying and highly disrespectful to females in general and our female refs in particular.

Comment

Working...
                                X