Mark Allen is at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    It's okay for him to say if he feels another player has cheated. Though maybe he should be saying this to the correct authorities, no jumping to the conclusion that all Chinese players are cheats and saying it to the press. That's not constructive, that's just him being a twat.

I lived with some Chinese people in my second year of university, and was amazed by how different two cultures can be. So I can understand it can be difficult to relate to people if you don't know / understand their cultures. However, that don't mean I think they are all cheats. That's absurd. And what's even more absurd is that he continually insists on going to the press with his retarded opinions. He can't even claim it was heat of the moment as he's saying it repeatedly to a public audience.
    On the article that you posted he says

"I don't regret the comments I have made, but the way I have made them. It was unfair of me to label all Chinese players as cheats but dishonesty in snooker is something that needs to be stamped out."

What exactly is he repeatedly saying? That all chinese are cheats? For what I understood from the article that he feels it was out of order to label them all. You just told us that it's ok to say it if someone feels an individual player is a cheat. He feels that Marco Fu cheated and Cao cheated, he hasn't changed his opinion about it. So according to you that's ok?

It was stupid from him to insult chinese players like that, nobody can deny that.

Comment

Sporting fairness comes from British culture IMO, the playing fields of Eton and all that, and it went hand in hand with those born into privilege for whom losing didn't mean a loss of livelihood or even self esteem.
      That attitude filtered down to the 'lower classes' of british society and was prevelant for generations in all british sport until recently when it all went professional and dare I say it people from other cultures came into this country where that attitude wasn't a given.
      That doesn't mean to say that all people from other cultures are cheats, people are individuals after all, but other cultures don't have that history of fair play that was entrenched into ours.

Seeing as snooker players must be dressed up as gentlemens butlers in order to play the game then maybe snooker is the last bastion of this attitude in british sport, and is better for it IMO, but snooker still has a referee and if said referees always stand behind players and therefore cannot see these fouls and rely on players honesty while basically calling them cheats every time they fail to get out of a snooker then this other 'get away with it' attitude will continue to creep in.

I think that's what Mark Allen meant to say, but then again I sound like a preacher giving his own bent on the teachings of christ at a time of war.

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
        Yeah, I hear ya. [Especially given] that the guy who originally played "naughty, crazy and ridiculous at times snooker" passed away a couple of years ago..
        +1 to this ^^^^^:snooker:
        Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
          What happened to freedom of speech in this country.
          Nothing. He/we still have it. Mark Allen has not suffered any criminal charges for what he has said. What has happened is that he has breached a contract he agreed to, and paid the agreed price for doing so.

People like to throw words like "freedom of speech" around the place like it means there should never be any consequences to something someone has said, but that's not what it means. It means only that the government will not restrict what can be said by threat of retribution, they will not control media, or private citizens in this way. It does not apply a blanket get out of consequences free card to everything people utter, all the time. Try calling some bloke at the pub a c@$& tonight and you'll find out first hand.

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
          He cocked up and paid the price.....he is likely to cock up again but at least he has the b0110cks to say what he thinks.
          b0ll0cks or bad sense, the jury is still out. Yes, we need people who are willing to speak out when there is something wrong but I would argue that Mark Allen is not the guy we want. He might have a point, but most of the time he confuses whatever point he is trying to make by mixing it all up with blatantly incorrect/racist/bigoted statements which don't help his cause in the slightest.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20573565

Theyre investigating him again for standing by the comments he made...

Comment

The way the media and people who start these threads get on, you'd think he's a member of the BNP! We don't live in North Korea, get a grip!
              Last edited by SouthPaw; 2 December 2012, 08:31 PM. Reason: Speeling =p
              Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20573565

Theyre investigating him again for standing by the comments he made...
                Good on ya World Snooker! Nip this whiny little Allen in the bud asap. He should learn the hard way to engage his brain before engaging his mouth. Sjeez the guy is a real horse's arse Live and learn...
                Last edited by daffie; 2 December 2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Ain't karma a bitch!

Comment

The thing is, if it's anything like last time, he's never made any formal complaints, he just likes bitching to the press, which is...ill-advised.

Comment

Good on Allen. Whether I agree with him or not, he makes things interesting. I wish Marco Fu would have responded, leading to a grudge match.

Why does everyone want a game full of angels? It's that attitude which is why snooker isn't as popular as it was.

I love that Allen says it like he thinks it is. Hope others do the same.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                        Good on Allen. Whether I agree with him or not, he makes things interesting. I wish Marco Fu would have responded, leading to a grudge match. Why does everyone want a game full of angels? It's that attitude which is why snooker isn't as popular as it was. I love that Allen says it like he thinks it is. Hope others do the same.
                        oh gosh, I bet the media love punters like you ... by the way, I think Marco Fu did respond in the best way possible ... 6-3 wasn't it?

I didn't see the match but I wouldn't be surprised if Marco had a little "inscrutable" smile to himself when he was safely back (out of camera's view) in his dressing room ... who knows, he may have even punched the air ...

obviously not to your taste - you seem to want to see him loosing his mouth off in public for your enjoyment but that's your problem - most will be pleased Fu fought the battle where it should be ... on the green baize playing the beautiful game and, in this case, he won ...

Mark "Pistol" Allen shot himself in the foot yet again ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                          oh gosh, I bet the media love punters like you ... by the way, I think Marco Fu did respond in the best way possible ... 6-3 wasn't it?

I didn't see the match but I wouldn't be surprised if Marco had a little "inscrutable" smile to himself when he was safely back (out of camera's view) in his dressing room ... who knows, he may have even punched the air ...

obviously not to your taste - you seem to want to see him loosing his mouth off in public for your enjoyment but that's your problem - most will be pleased Fu fought the battle where it should be ... on the green baize playing the beautiful game and, in this case, he won ...

They wouldn't love me for very long because I don't buy newspapers or pay to read any gossip. I'm talking from a general standpoint. It's the same with every sport. Boxing, tennis, football....rivalries create interest.

Personally I con't care for the "Asian cheats" thing, but it's far better than nothing.

You say "Most will be pleased" that it was on the table, but that's because the only people that are into snooker these days are the traditionalists, or 99% of them are. It's that attitude that has played a role in snooker's decline (amongst many others).

You want players to show emotion. It seems like you actually wanted Fu to beat Allen today, so let me ask you - if Allen hadn't said all that stuff about Chinese players, would you have cared as much? I doubt it. Allen splits opinion - some people want him to win, some want him to lose. Either way, he's created an interest. He's far better (or rather more important) to the game than some dull, robotic player who shows no emotion and has the personality of a brick when in front of the cameras.

For the record I don't even agree with what Allen said, and actually happen to Like Fu. He's a classy guy. I did want Allen to win though, only because I think the tournament is more interesting with him in it than Fu, both on and off the table.

If Allen or anyone else has an opinion, I want them to say it. Unfortunately it seems like aside from Allen, Trump, O'Sullivan, Carter and 1 or 2 others, no one wants to express themselves. It says a lot when the apparent "jester" on tour is the most boring player I've ever seen, both on the table and in interviews. Kind of gone off track here, but ah well...
                          Last edited by Ronnie's tip; 3 December 2012, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post

People like to throw words like "freedom of speech" around the place like it means there should never be any consequences to something someone has said, but that's not what it means. It means only that the government will not restrict what can be said by threat of retribution, they will not control media, or private citizens in this way.
                            And yet, that is exactly what world Gov's are doing. The Control System is under threat as more ppl wake up. Tiptoe Totalitarianism has proved fruitful so far. But now a new course of action is required ( which explains the ramping up on new laws by the Police State ). But hey, that's a whole new thread..

Peace
                            Last edited by Inoffthered; 3 December 2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

A spokesperson for the players? More like a little boy who makes his own club just for the pleasure of telling other people that they can't be in it.
                              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post

What a load of bull, the media has made this into Mark vs the Asian world, as far as Fu and Allen were concerned there was no issues with each other, Allen has an opinion that Chinese players don't own up to fouls, he could be right, he could be wrong but the whole things getting blown out of proportion...

On another note i'd say ratings are not going to be as high now in the UK that Trump and Allen are out!
                                Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Working...
                                X