1977 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 UK Championship

UPDATE: It took a while but I finally found the prize money from a search of the British Newspaper Archive.
    Total: £7,000; W: £2,000; RU: £1,400; SF: £800: QF: £300; 2R: £100
    Source: Manchester Evening News, p3. 15.10.77.

Does anyone know what the prize money breakdown was for this tournament?
    I know the total prize money was £7,000, the winner received £2,000 and the runner-up £1,400.
    Cuetracker gives the split as £2,000, £1,000, £500, £250 which I think is an estimate rather than the actual.
    The breakdown isn't stated in Snooker Scene or Q World so I'm hoping someone has the programme or another source.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Tone; Yesterday, 03:11 PM.

I too have the £2,000 and £1,400 but not found anything else - yet

ps. I will edit CueTracker.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hey Dean, do you know if there are any plans to put more English Amateur Championship frame scores on cuetracker? I’m thinking primarily 1950’s and 60’s when the EAC was probably the premier event in the game. Certainly the hardest to win.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
        Hey Dean, do you know if there are any plans to put more English Amateur Championship frame scores on cuetracker? I’m thinking primarily 1950’s and 60’s when the EAC was probably the premier event in the game. Certainly the hardest to win.
        oh yes, these are on my list of To Do
        as usual, time is the factor

Comment

Just to jump in, does anyone know if the qualifiers from the old Norbreck Castle, Blackpool days are on cue tracker(say 1990_95) I would like to see Ronnie's results and scores for the year he won 50 out of 54 or thereabouts. There are also a few lads I play with now who I'd like to look up, thanks.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

yep, some could be there or I have them on the list to do - a very long list
            Please if any specific stands out as missing, let me know and I will source the info
            Last edited by DeanH; 29 April 2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Found one of the lads, he has a win over Nic Barrow, wonder what ever happened to him

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Found one of the lads, he has a win over Nic Barrow, wonder what ever happened to him
                I hope you used the player search function

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I hope you used the player search function
                  I did.....is it your site Dean​​​​​? Its brilliant.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

I did.....is it your site Dean​​​​​? Its brilliant.
                    not mine no - Ron Florax started it back 2010, I started helping Ron back in early 2011 and I have access to add/modify "stuff"
                    a great opportunity for a snooker geek like me

Comment

oh yes, these are on my list of To Do
                      as usual, time is the factor
                      Be nice to have 1965 and 67 on there.

Maybe in time you could fill out some of the pre-TV era with some of the smaller events that took place. You know like in the 70’s, there wasn’t an organised circuit like we have today but there were many challenge matches or small tournaments, maybe only featuring 2 or 4 players. It was commonplace for a local businessman to chuck some money in the ring and get the likes of Reardon, Spencer, Higgins, Pulman to play off for it. This was bread and butter tournament play back then but although many were reported in Snooker Scene, they haven’t yet found their way onto wiki or cuetracker. It’d also help those players bump up their century breaks. Interesting that Kobylecky has documented Fred Davis, for instance, as compiling over a hundred competitive centuries, yet cuetracker has only half that number.
                      Last edited by Cyril; 4 June 2022, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Be nice to have 1965 and 67 on there.

Ok, just for you, I will do these two next
                        Took me two weeks to do the most recent EngAm, 1956

Maybe in time you could fill out some of the pre-TV era with some of the smaller events that took place. You know like in the 70’s, there wasn’t an organised circuit like we have today but there were many challenge matches or small tournaments, maybe only featuring 2 or 4 players. It was commonplace for a local businessman to chuck some money in the ring and get the likes of Reardon, Spencer, Higgins, Pulman to play off for it. This was bread and butter tournament play back then but although many were reported in Snooker Scene, they haven’t yet found their way onto wiki or cuetracker.

It is planned to capture any officially sanctioned event, including these four man ones

It’d also help those players bump up their century breaks. Interesting that Kobylecky has documented Fred Davis, for instance, as compiling over a hundred competitive centuries, yet cuetracker has only half that number.

Who is Kobylecky? If Facebook that would explain as I don’t do that platform
                        I have a list of 135 centuries for Fred but believe Fred states 137.
                        Just like Joe, Fred counted centuries when he was “paid to play”, whether that was a tournament, challenge, or exhibition; CueTracker do not list exhibitions so CueTracker will never tally with the “official” centuries count

Comment

Ok, just for you, I will do these two next
                          Took me two weeks to do the most recent EngAm, 1956

It is planned to capture any officially sanctioned event, including these four man ones

Who is Kobylecky? If Facebook that would explain as I don’t do that platform
                          I have a list of 135 centuries for Fred but believe Fred states 137.
                          Just like Joe, Fred counted centuries when he was “paid to play”, whether that was a tournament, challenge, or exhibition; CueTracker do not list exhibitions so CueTracker will never tally with the “official” centuries count
                          John Kobylecky has done extensive research into old snooker scores and wrote a book, available via Snooker Scene. His centuries for Fred are from what he deemed “competitive” matches, so not exhibitions. However, not all matches will have been in sanctioned events. That said, if one were to take, for instance, the World “Match-Play” Championship matches between 1952 - 57, these were run by the PBPA and not recognised by the BA&CC, yet of course, we recognise them today as the “real” World Championship.

Unlike CueTracker, Kobylecky DOES recognise the annual matches that took place between 1947 and 55-ish between Joe and the current world champion - the match which would confirm (in the public eye) the real Number One.

He also includes the series of matches billed as the “World Open Championship” in 1968, sanctioned by the BA&CC, but which were in fact, anything but Open, since Fred and Rex Williams were the only contestants.

Comment

John Kobylecky has done extensive research into old snooker scores and wrote a book, available via Snooker Scene. His centuries for Fred are from what he deemed “competitive” matches, so not exhibitions. However, not all matches will have been in sanctioned events. That said, if one were to take, for instance, the World “Match-Play” Championship matches between 1952 - 57, these were run by the PBPA and not recognised by the BA&CC, yet of course, we recognise them today as the “real” World Championship.

Unlike CueTracker, Kobylecky DOES recognise the annual matches that took place between 1947 and 55-ish between Joe and the current world champion - the match which would confirm (in the public eye) the real Number One.

He also includes the series of matches billed as the “World Open Championship” in 1968, sanctioned by the BA&CC, but which were in fact, anything but Open, since Fred and Rex Williams were the only contestants.
                            Here it is.
                            Attached Files

Comment

ah ha, that one, I had this sometime ago and should have it somewhere; did not relate with the author
                              thanks

edit - found it
                              Last edited by DeanH; 6 June 2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X