Snooker history trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker history trivia

I stumbled upon a bit of trivia a couple of months back.

As you probably know the game was invented in the nineteenth century by some British army officers in India. The man who is credited with inventing it was called Chamberlain. So what? you probably say. Did you know that he was the grandfather of Neville Chamberlain, the UK Prime Minister in 1939 who tried to appease Hitler and was eventually replaced, I think, by Winston Churchill?
    王可

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
    I stumbled upon a bit of trivia a couple of months back.

As you probably know the game was invented in the nineteenth century by some British army officers in India. The man who is credited with inventing it was called Chamberlain. So what? you probably say. Did you know that he was the grandfather of Neville Chamberlain, the UK Prime Minister in 1939 who tried to appease Hitler and was eventually replaced, I think, by Winston Churchill?
    Nice fact .... if it was correct. Unfortunately there is no connection between the two men.

Neville Francis Fitzgerald Chamberlain, of snooker fame, was born in 1856, and produced only one daughter, Nora Mary Chamberlain. She married Lord Wigram in 1912. Neville Chamberlain (Prime Minister) was born in 1869, son of Joseph Chamberlain. The two Chamberlains were very nearly contemporaries.

Comment

They even have the same first name. Quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Then I apologise unreservedly. It was in a book which I thought was a reliable source. I wouldn't ever submit erroneous information to any site. There is already enough dubious stuff on the net. Maybe a moderator could oblige us all by deleting the entire thread.
        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
          Then I apologise unreservedly. It was in a book which I thought was a reliable source. I wouldn't ever submit erroneous information to any site. There is already enough dubious stuff on the net. Maybe a moderator could oblige us all by deleting the entire thread.
          Which book was that?

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            Which book was that?
            cue making and snooker facts for begginers?

Comment

It's a trilogy called "Pax Britannica" which traces the development of the empire from Victoria's accession through to the second world war. It is full of little asides like the one above. I now have to doubt any of them unless independently verified I suppose.

Out here we tend to have quite a bit of time on our hands. I detest television so reading, blacksmithing and snooker are very useful ways of passing the hours.
              王可

Comment

Working...
              X