Re: Early World Championship scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Cyril
    Excellent breaks indeed! Have you seen any footage of Horace Lindrum. He had a very attractive style. His elbow was tucked behind his back a little like Joe Swail.
    Is that...
    tucked behind his back a little like Joe Swail
    ...or...
    tucked behind his back a little like Joe Swail
    ...?

Sorry, I'm in a really pedantic mood this afternoon!

Comment

tucked behind his back, a little like Joe Swail.

Comment

Cyril, early indications suggest that coverage in The Times is very good for 1938, so watch this space (well, 'that' space).

Do you know anything about C.W. Reid who played just the once, in 1938?

Just that The Times calls him Read rather than Reid. (He was from Salisbury.)

Comment

I'm afraid not. Wasn't he one of the players I asked 100-uper about? He didn't know either. Perhaps you could look him up on the Salisbury electoral register!? The earliest Billiard Player mags I have are 1952 (I think), so unlikely to feature in any of those. I could ask Roger Lee?

Comment

Come along Statman, you re slacking! Only kidding.

Do you mind me asking, how does one access The Times online archives? PM if you prefer.

Comment

You need to pay for it, not quite sure how.

Bournemouth Library Service subscribes to it on its members' behalves, so I just enter my Library membership card number and off I go. Presumably if you subscribe individually you would have some sort of password to provide.

Might be worth contacting Northamptonshire Library Service and see if they offer the same! Somewhere on northamptonshire.gov.uk might have a link.

Comment

Good idea! Ta

Comment

Ah! Northamptonshire Libraries does subscribe to it for members. Wow!

Missing semi-final score: S.Smith 18, F.Davis 13.

Comment

Excellent!
                    You can do the next ten years then!

№ (this is just to see if the "№" character is compatible on here. I hope so")

Comment

I'll do years 1941 to 1945 for you.

Comment

1952 R1 Jackie Rea is reported as beating Jim Lees by 33-28 (Nov 19, 1951; pg. 4; Issue 52162) and not 38-32 as is commonly documented. I am inclined to go along with this score as all the other ties were over 61 frames.

Comment

Please use this thread to comment upon the other thread entitled "Early World Championship Scores", so as not to make it 'untidy'.

Comment

Re: 1940 World final
                            Commentator's quote from British Movietone newsreel:

"... but the World Champion is still unbeaten and he won the deciding game with a break of 101, incidentally his 112 snooker century".

Comment

With reference to the detailed coverage of afternoon sessions by The Times and the almost total absence of reports from the evening, I have often wondered about this myself. I fondly imagine a hack from the newspaper leaving Fleet Street after a liquid lunch and strolling around to Leicester Square for a leisurely afternoon "covering" the billiards. Probably more likely that the results were delivered by a "runner" and if the session went on too long it missed the print deadline.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper
                                I fondly imagine a hack from the newspaper leaving Fleet Street after a liquid lunch and strolling around to Leicester Square for a leisurely afternoon "covering" the billiards.
                                Sounds like the perfect job!

Comment

Working...
                                X