Frank Sandall's Potting Shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Sandall's Potting Shed

When it comes to snooker and billiard history, there can't be many men outside of museums who know more than Frank Sandall. Visiting his 'Potting Shed' last weekend for a cue repair (don't ask!), Frank showed me century old cues, world record making cues, first edition books, original artwork and all while he entertained me with stories from by-gone days.

Many pro's have visited Franks over the years, including ROS, and most if not all the best local amateurs have played in his comps and/or benefited from his coaching.

The cue repair was quick and efficient btw!
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Yes his shed was on one of the antique shows on tv a few months ago and i agree its fab .

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
      When it comes to snooker and billiard history, there can't be many men outside of museums who know more than Frank Sandall. Visiting his 'Potting Shed' last weekend for a cue repair (don't ask!), Frank showed me century old cues, world record making cues, first edition books, original artwork and all while he entertained me with stories from by-gone days.

Many pro's have visited Franks over the years, including ROS, and most if not all the best local amateurs have played in his comps and/or benefited from his coaching.

The cue repair was quick and efficient btw!
      can't be many including in museums!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Paul. It was a pleasure to help you and your interest in my collection ( I was scared I was boring you to death!!!) gave me a boost. For more information check out www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk F.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
          Thanks for the kind words Paul. It was a pleasure to help you and your interest in my collection ( I was scared I was boring you to death!!!) gave me a boost. For more information check out www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk F.
          Wow, looks like a great collection!! I would love to visit one day and hear all your stories and check it all out.

I recently bought a billiard scoreboard paddle.

Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks!
          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

It does seem an Aladin's Cave
            Love to visit someday.
            But my cues dont need repairing

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
            ...for a cue repair (don't ask!)...
            sorry but just got to!
            And I am sure others are intrigued as well
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
              Wow, looks like a great collection!! I would love to visit one day and hear all your stories and check it all out.

I recently bought a billiard scoreboard paddle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14953[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]14954[/ATTACH]

Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks!
              That's nice Mythman. Better than mine. Often in the late 19thc.+ these metal score plates were let into the baulk cushion on billiard tables and later removed and fixed as yours on paddles in order that a spectator could keep the score They were I believe also purpose made often on an ebony paddle. I notice yours is by Thurston the most historic table maker and marked "France" - I feel this may well indicate that the origins have continental connections with the Carom forms of billiards.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                It does seem an Aladin's Cave
                Love to visit someday.
                But my cues dont need repairing

sorry but just got to!
                And I am sure others are intrigued as well
                Sorry Dean in politically correct speak "Cannot discuss individual cases" Please refer to Magicman. All I can say was it was a serious case for treatment.
                If youre in my area feel free to contact me and pop round be happy to see a fellow enthusiast. F.

Comment

That's nice Mythman. Better than mine. Often in the late 19thc.+ these metal score plates were let into the baulk cushion on billiard tables and later removed and fixed as yours on paddles in order that a spectator could keep the score They were I believe also purpose made often on an ebony paddle. I notice yours is by Thurston the most historic table maker and marked "France" - I feel this may well indicate that the origins have continental connections with the Carom forms of billiards.
                  Thanks for the info! I have been looking for one of these for ages and saw it on ebay recently.
                  My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                  I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                    Yes his shed was on one of the antique shows on tv a few months ago and i agree its fab .
                    any idea on what show, may find it in the iplayer ?
                    cheers

Comment

It was "Put your money where your mouth is" the expert was Mark Stacey and it was a BBC programme filmed on July 5th.2011. Shown about 4/6 months later. It as been repeated a couple of times I think. F.

Comment

It was "Put your money where your mouth is" the expert was Mark Stacey and it was a BBC programme filmed on July 5th.2011. Shown about 4/6 months later. It as been repeated a couple of times I think. F.
                        Thanks Frank, I shall see if I can find it

Comment

I think it would be Series 5, unfortunately not on BBC iPlayer

Was Mark Stacey buying or selling

Comment

He was selling Dean. It was a silver chalk holder - I paid a bit over the odds for it but their profits go to charities so I was quite happy.

Comment

I watched that, I always wondered if it was someone on here, looked a lovely place, you are very lucky ,congrats.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X