Top 5 controversial incidents in the crucible history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 controversial incidents in the crucible history

1) ALEX HIGGINS - After losing to Steve James in 1990 he punched Colin Randle in the stomach,as a result he was banned for the entire season.

2) RONNIE O SULLIVAN - In 1996 O Sullivan physically assaulted Mike Ganley,he was fined 20,000 pounds and asked to donate 10,000 to charity.

3) QUINTENN HANN - After losing to Andy Hicks 10-4, Hann hardly could have been less gracious."You are short,you are bald and u will always be." He and the inoffensive devonian had to be seperated by the refree.In 2006 Quintenn was banned for 8 yrs after being found guilty of intention to fix.

4) PETER EBDON - Ebdon,never known as a speed merchant,was widely & heavily criticised in the media for his undeniably ponderous play in the final session of the 2005 QF in which he painstakingly recovered from 10-6 adrift to beat Ronnie o Sullivan 13-11.

5) EMBASSY - The siege of the Iranian emabassy in London in 1980 caused the coverage of the final b/w Cliff Thorburn & Alex Higgins to be interrupted.Pressromm phones lit up with phone calls from irate viewers.when the coverage came back Ted lowe said "From one embassy to another" in reference to the then title sponsors Embassy cigarettes.
    Last edited by sunny3909; 28 December 2007, 08:10 AM.
    My deep screw shot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Can't believe Patsy Fagans "concession" isn't here.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
      Can't believe Patsy Fagans "concession" isn't here.
      Could you explain that incident please, not familiar with it.
      Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42kbA...eature=related
        starts at 0:53
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Thanks so much for that missneworleans. I could have googled it myself couldn't I? Lazy boy!

My mate did something like that to me. He missed a red leaving me in the balls, then just smashed the cue ball into the black in frustration. I took it as a consession, he said it was just a seven-point foul. He's bigger than me so seven points it was!
          Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

I remember seeing that as a kid. Wasn't it 9-9 and Fagan went on to win the match?

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
              re the rest of the clip: how usually wrong the commentators were about the next action of alex h
              Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

I can't believe Patsy Fagan got away with that.
                My deep screw shot
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

On that same clip, nice blue by a certain Mr.Higgins. See 2:45 of the clip.

Comment

Yeah that was a nice klip and nice set of videos aswell
                    And yes Fagan won in the decider
                    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

alain robidoux not conceding to o'sulivan in 96worlds after ronnie started playing left handed

Comment

Originally Posted by 147 Club View Post
                        alain robidoux not conceding to o'sulivan in 96worlds after ronnie started playing left handed
                        I don't think this should qualify. At the time, nobody outside of Ronnies usual practice partners knew he was brilliant with his left hand, so I can understand Alain getting a bit touchy about it. After he made his complaint, I believe Ronnie told him flat out to his face "I'm better with my left hand than you are with your right" It went to the WPBSA exec commitee, asking Ronnie to prove it, which he did by beating (I think John Pulman) 3-0 playing completely left handed.
                        After this, I think Alain should have simply said to Ronnie I thought it was you being disrespectful, because I didn't know how good you were with your opposite hand, and left it at that. As he didn't, and kept dragging it on and on, he looked like a pillock!
                        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
                          I don't think this should qualify. At the time, nobody outside of Ronnies usual practice partners knew he was brilliant with his left hand, so I can understand Alain getting a bit touchy about it. After he made his complaint, I believe Ronnie told him flat out to his face "I'm better with my left hand than you are with your right" It went to the WPBSA exec commitee, asking Ronnie to prove it, which he did by beating (I think John Pulman) 3-0 playing completely left handed.
                          After this, I think Alain should have simply said to Ronnie I thought it was you being disrespectful, because I didn't know how good you were with your opposite hand, and left it at that. As he didn't, and kept dragging it on and on, he looked like a pillock!
                          Yes, quite correct. It was Rex Williams tho, at the time WPBSA Chairman, who Ronnie played the 'trial' game against, not Pully.

Comment

And why shouldn't a snooker player use both hands. The object is to win the game, and nothing in the rules says a player must play with the hand he starts with. I wish I could play left handed, then I wouldn't miss so many rest shots. I am certain in my own mind that Ronnie was not being disrespectful, but he was right when he said he was better with his left than Robidoux was with his right. It was just another upgrade in the world of modern snooker. Would someone call Mark Williams disrespectful when he uses a rest which he holds in mid-air. Great players introduce great innovations, poor players sit and suffer and bitch about it.

Comment

Willie Thorn re-rack when he was something like 40 odd points up in the frame. Disgraceful refereeing.

Comment

Working...
                              X