BBC2 "Bot Black"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC2 "Bot Black"

Just interested to know what are peoples memories of this famous tournament? (for those old enough to remember!)

The first programme was aired on 23 July, 1969. It was for many, the first time they had seen snooker played 'properly' and for the players it made many of them household names. In fact, winning Pot Black was, in many ways, bigger than winning the World Championship in the early days, as the latter received very little TV coverage.

The eight players who contested the first series were John Pulman, Fred Davis, Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Rex Williams, Gary Owen, Jackie Rea and Kingsley Kennerley.

Schurely Shome Mishtake? 'Bot Black'?

Comment

Do any of the original Pot Black episodes survive? Obviously the show came about at the tail end of the network "wiping" phenomenon (where content would be erased so that tapes could be reused, with no thought of archiving).
      "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

bizarely coincidental i am just watching kirk stevens v ray reardon from the 1983 tournement
        Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

one of my last memories of Pot Black was when Jimmy White beat Doug Mountjoy i think in 1986. correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

I do also have footage of Graham Miles v John Spencer in the 1974 Pot Black Final which is good to look back on! Would be great to see some re-runs of this classic programme but it's unlikely the BBC will show much or any!

I do remember a couple of years ago when the 2005 Pot Black was on the BBC showed about a minutes footage of the 1976 Pot Black final between Dennis Taylor and the then ubiquitous John Spencer
          Last edited by spike; 9 May 2008, 10:23 AM.
          "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
            one of my last memories of Pot Black was when Jimmy White beat Doug Mountjoy i think in 1986. correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

I do have footage of Graham Miles v John Spencer in the 1974 Pot Black Final which is good to look back on!
            I think '86 was the last series wasn't it? Or at least the last of the original Pot Black.

Ah yes, that was the one when Miles potted the final pink and black spectacularly! Ted Lowe got a bit excited in the commentary as well. Haha.

Comment

Working...
            X