Two half asleep players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two half asleep players

I had a weird situation come up the other day in a match. Neither myself nor my opponent knew what the ruling should have been.

It's towards the end of the frame and I'm ahead by 15 points or so. There are only 2 reds left. I pot a red and then the pink. My opponent replaces the pink and as he does so says "six"; I pick up on this fairly quickly and say "don't you mean 7?" to which he agrees, and I then have a laugh with him, joking that I hope he isn't an accountant or a maths teacher. (We've never met before).

Perhaps because of the banter I fail to notice that he has actually placed the pink on the black spot. Amazingly I still don't notice when I attempt to snooker him behind the pink (which is on the black spot remember) with the final red.

Just after he successfully extracts himself from the snooker (to be honest I don't think he was even snookered) I notice the pink is on the black spot and of course immediately inform him of this comical situation. We both agree that we don't know what to do. I say that it might be a foul on my behalf even though he placed it there. He says that surely we should play it as it lies now that the next shot has happened and that a foul for me would be very unfair. But then by carrying on I've only played a red so perhaps a foul couldn't really be called just because the pink is on the wrong spot.

Anyway, we compromise and agree to now put the pink on its correct spot and carry on with no repercussions, which seemed fair as neither of us knew the rule, and clearly nobody had intended to cheat. Added to which I couldn't pot the next red anyway after his shot, so it didn't really have an effect on the game.

I still can't believe that my opponent was dozy enough to place the pink on the black spot and even more so that I was dozy enough to not notice (and indeed to even try to lay a snooker behind a pink on the black spot).

Doh!

......anyway, what is the correct ruling?

a) Carry on and leave the pink where it is
    b) Put the pink back on its correct spot and carry on as if nothing happened
    c) Make an appointment at Specsavers
    d) Buy my opponent an abacus

I'm no expert at rules but I will go with option a.

Comment

spot error discovered after a stroke has been played - (a) pink stays where it is, no foul to the striker (as the opponent was acting as the referee) [Sec 3.7(c)]

then of course (c) and (d) in any order you like
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
        I'm no expert at rules but I will go with option a.

(you are getting there FK! )
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

(you are getting there FK! )
          Lol, I still do not know some rules. Learnt a few here recently.

Comment

Working...
          X