Problem pulling cue back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem pulling cue back

Hi, think my game has come to an end after 35 Years. I can’t pull the cue back more than an inch on the shot. I feather not too bad but as soon as I go to play the shot my arm ceases and to even get the cue back an inch feels impossible, some times not even an inch and my arm drives forward when I’m not even ready to play the shot.
    On occasions when feathering I end up driving through the shot when it is only meant to be a feather. The more power needed on the shot the worse it is.
    Has anyone here had similar issues and how did you sort it.

Cheers Ricky

how long has it been happening ,could just be a glitch ,have you had a break from the game and it’s just started since you came back ,I take it this is a mental thing and not physical . These things happen a lot in golf too ,there is always a cure for it ,I got the shanks so bad I gave the game up for a year ,I still pipe the odd one but it’s part of the game ,snooker is no different .Any bad thing or worry can manifest itself in something you really like doing ,sometimes the more you try not to do it the worse it gets .

Comment

nice one Mikee jumping straight in! There is definitely help at hand here - seen a few players suffer with this and hope they can share experience and action taken.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Maybe see a coach to work through it. Sounds like the 'yips'.
        After not throwing a dart for perhaps 4 to 5 years I simply can't reliably release a dart from my right hand now so I taught myself to play left handed.

Comment

It’s a pity this didn’t just start because of the break away from the game, it started well before. I was hoping the break would have done me good and forgot all about it.
          it is sole destroying when you can’t pull it back far enough to even stun the ball.

Hope maybe someone can tell me there fix. I play with a lot of tension in my body because of back and neck trouble, but I’ve always had that and could cue ok, might be in my head. Maybe hypnotism I need

cheers Ricky

Comment

i think it will be really important to distinguish whether the issue is physical or mental or perhaps a mix of both. Maybe he neck/back issues are sending nerve messages to the brain etc, in fear of pain occurring.

Have you had any professional medical assessment of that Ricky? A good Osteopath can tell you a lot about what is happening and possibly acupuncture etc may help.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I have back and neck issues but pain under control with medication. But after years of chronic pain I struggle to relax and my whole body is very tense. It’s like when I go to play the actual shot my arm locks at elbow and triceps. Just now am trying not to pause after feathers because if I pause it feels impassible to pull cue back. I don’t play the game with fear of leaving my opponent in. If I pause before the shot I can’t even pull cue back half inch. I must look terrible trying to generate power from there causes big snatch and head to come up. Maybe subconsciously mental and physical.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
                I have back and neck issues but pain under control with medication. But after years of chronic pain I struggle to relax and my whole body is very tense. It’s like when I go to play the actual shot my arm locks at elbow and triceps. Just now am trying not to pause after feathers because if I pause it feels impassible to pull cue back. I don’t play the game with fear of leaving my opponent in. If I pause before the shot I can’t even pull cue back half inch. I must look terrible trying to generate power from there causes big snatch and head to come up. Maybe subconsciously mental and physical.
                In that case, I would definitely recommend an Osteopath, its not all mumbo jumbo like some doctors think. In my opinion its the GP's who are the "Quacks" these days. A decent Osteo might be able to help.

⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
                  Hi Ricky,

You’ve obviously got some physical issues going on and as CC has said a good osteo will help with the physical elements .

Do you ever practice by yourself or only play against others ?.

The reason I ask is that you could have both physical and mental issues going on at the same time . It would be interesting to see what the difference is if you normally only play against others and then try by yourself .

Comment

Can you cue without a ball in front of you ? Just like a practice swing . Can you cue better and hit the ball with your eyes shut? If you can I would guess its phycological .
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

You could try a tens machine. I have a portable one that fits in my back pocket or clips onto a belt. You put a couple of electrodes either side of the problem muscle and hook them up. They pass a small current which loosens the muscle up. Helped with my back and shoulder muscle stiffness/pain when nothing else was working. I'm sure you could find a way to play wearing one if you get a small battery powered unit like the one I have. I picked mine up for about ?20-30. This is the one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7F1D..._TtCBFbWVT88J7

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Can you cue without a ball in front of you ? Just like a practice swing . Can you cue better and hit the ball with your eyes shut? If you can I would guess its phycological .
                        Pretty sure he can, and also will be able to simply shoot the cue ball into a pocket, put another ball between them though and that's where the problems begin. These problems usually occur when the shot isn't lined up properly, your brain knows it subconsciously but you won't be aware so this creates a conflict between the subconscious and the conscious where the subconscious tries to stop you from making a mistake that you're unaware of.
                        After thirty five years of playing you might over this time simply have drifted offline to a point where the brain is saying 'no!'
                        Go back to basics and get the whole of the cue on the line of aim, this starts with sighting and stance just like it did thirty five years ago.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Cheers for comments guys. I can feather not too bad so I suppose the practice swing is ok. I also play some shots with my eyes Shut and manage a little better and don’t get stuck on the shot.
                          Also think the suggestion of seeing an osteopath is good as my aches and pains are really changing these days and have no idea what’s going on.

Thanks again for comments.

Ricky

Comment

Working...
                          X