Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do average shot times increase as tournament progresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do average shot times increase as tournament progresses?

Hi Does the overall average shot time increase as a tournament progresses? I would have thought that in the later rounds there would naturally be the better players and shots would be more carefully planned increasing time taken. I haven’t seen any stats for tournaments with average shot times per round. Is this something that’s captured? It’s to settle a debate as I thought the times would naturally increase but brother dismissed this theory. All thoughts welcome

Originally Posted by GR8GUY View Post
    Hi Does the overall average shot time increase as a tournament progresses? I would have thought that in the later rounds there would naturally be the better players and shots would be more carefully planned increasing time taken. I haven’t seen any stats for tournaments with average shot times per round. Is this something that’s captured? It’s to settle a debate as I thought the times would naturally increase but brother dismissed this theory. All thoughts welcome
    Welcome on these boards!

I don't have any data for this, but it's an interesting thought.
    I would say another factor is the higher stakes and bigger pressure in the latter rounds that could contribute to longer average shot times for the players - if they are actually increase.

Comment

Personally I think shot times are linked to how your playing . Of course certain players style will make them faster or slower than others but if your playing well most players will naturally speed up their game, some more than others .

Comment

I've wondered if multiple escapes from a snooker due to the miss rule are actually counted as one shot therefore increasing the average shot time.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
          I've wondered if multiple escapes from a snooker due to the miss rule are actually counted as one shot therefore increasing the average shot time.
          no, they are individual strokes
          Because the referee has to mark the foul and points and swap players back to offender to play again, this is taken by the scoreboard as individual strokes and hence time taken is noted
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

From what I have seen then yes. O?Sullivan usually plays a bit slower when he?s up against someone who gives him a match. Still one of the fastest though. From what I remember seeing Judd Trump has been below 20 seconds most of the time but in the finals he gets over. In the world final Selby and Murphy are both app. 3 seconds slower than their average. Given the occasion I find it quite natural.
            ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
            "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I'd imagine it evens out over the longer matches. Selby must have been quicker in the final than his semi final, and the later stages of the final moved along quite steadily

Comment

Thanks for all your input it’s difficult to prove conclusively without the stats. It just seems highly likely that play slows down in the later stages when the standard of opponents is higher coupled with added pressure and prize money. Brother isn’t conceding on this though. If you find anything please let me know

Comment

Cuetracker has average shot times. For example, Mark Selby was as follows from round 1 of the world championships to the final: 24.2, 25.5, 24.3, 28.6, 28.2. Murphy was: 23.1, 21.7, 22.5, 23.8, 24.6. Definitely slower at the end based on that small sample, but you can check out cuetracker for a larger sample, it has stats going back years for all tournaments

Comment

That’s a great find I’ll need to check that out

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                      Cuetracker has average shot times. For example, Mark Selby was as follows from round 1 of the world championships to the final: 24.2, 25.5, 24.3, 28.6, 28.2. Murphy was: 23.1, 21.7, 22.5, 23.8, 24.6. Definitely slower at the end based on that small sample, but you can check out cuetracker for a larger sample, it has stats going back years for all tournaments
                      Note: CueTracker only has AST for a few years, after WST added it, as they did not have it till recently

OP - I do think that in average ASTs do become longer as an event progresses
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                        Murphy slower at the end because he was playing Selby, I'm betting Binghams ast was faster until he played Selby, probably all players ast increase when playing Selby.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Murphy slower at the end because he was playing Selby, I'm betting Binghams ast was faster until he played Selby, probably all players ast increase when playing Selby.

Along with their blood pressure.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

All of Selby's opponents had a higher AST against Selby than in any of their other matches. All of them also had a slower AST against Selby than their average AST was for the season.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                              All of Selby's opponents had a higher AST against Selby than in any of their other matches. All of them also had a slower AST against Selby than their average AST was for the season.
                              Well, again has to be said that is a credit to Selby's brilliance as a tactician in that he can slow the pace of play to not only suit himself but hamper a charge from a faster opponent. Queens gambit not accepted!
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X