Sd Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sd Joint

Hi, I've just bought a North West cue but I don't like the sd joint in the butt of the cue, I've got a tele-extension for it but no mini-butt. I want to change the sd joint as it takes too long to fasten/unfasten the extension so I want to fit a spiroloc joint as I have 2 extensions and a mini with that thread already. Has anyone ever tried changing the joint, how easy is it, are any specific tools needed to do this?? Obviously I don't want to damage the cue as I've just bought it, any advice would be much appreciated. I've just taken delivery of the spiroloc joint which looks to be the same diameter 12mm as the one fitted in the cue.

The joint fitted needs to be heated to melt the glue so that it can be removed. Find a long bolt (four inches at least) of the same thread, screw it in the joint and heat that with a heat gun or flame until the heat reaches the joint and the epoxy glue melts. It doesn't have to be red hot or anything close to that, just hot enough to melt the glue. Myself I put the cue in my lathe and spin it up while holding a strip of leather against the bolt using friction to heat it up and melt the glue and then screw the joint out.

When fitting the new joint, if the hole is a bit big then pack it out with epoxy glue mixed with sawdust, insert the new female joint while fitted to an extension until all the glue is forced out, remove all excess glue as you push the extension in bit by bit with a cloth soaked in white spirit and then make sure the extension is dead straight, before leaving it to dry. If the hole is a tight fit then a little epoxy is all you need and fit the new female joint the same way, fitted to an extension so the you can be sure that when the glue dries the extension is dead straight.

I have a cuesmith lathe so I simply keep the cue and extension clamped in the lathe until the glue dries and everything stays dead straight, but you will need to make up some kind of jig to hold it all together.
    All the best
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Sounds like a bit of work and knowhow involved, I'll leave it to the experts. I think it will cost around

Comment

Originally Posted by black21920 View Post
        Sounds like a bit of work and knowhow involved, I'll leave it to the experts. I think it will cost around
        Andy Travis in Sheffield would do it for you. Not expensive.

Comment

Working...
        X