Some Dumb Basic Rule Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Dumb Basic Rule Questions

I normally just play on my own table, but we are having relatives coming soon and will probably play. Even though I have the rules mounted on the wall, I just want to be sure about the following questions so I at least sound like I know what I am doing(cuz heaven knows, it don't show from my playing ability).

If you pot an 'on ball' and then sink another ball or the white on the same shot, do you count the pot and then add the foul to your opponents score, or does the pot not count at all?

Reds never get spotted back on the table, correct? If you pot a colour, but a red goes in on the same shot, the red stays down. Or if you pot a red and then the white on the same shot, or if the red goes in after the white goes in. The reds stay down?

When you are down to playing just the colours, if you sink the wrong colour, it comes back on. What happens if blue is on, and it is potted, but then so is the white? Does the blue stay down? What if pink or black goes down after the blue, does the blue stay down?

Thanks in advance for these rudimentary questions.

Originally Posted by wlorcb View Post
    I normally just play on my own table, but we are having relatives coming soon and will probably play. Even though I have the rules mounted on the wall, I just want to be sure about the following questions so I at least sound like I know what I am doing(cuz heaven knows, it don't show from my playing ability).

If you pot an 'on ball' and then sink another ball or the white on the same shot, do you count the pot and then add the foul to your opponents score, or does the pot not count at all?
    You do not score on a foul stroke. You do score the break up to that stroke. Of course you do add the appropriate penalty points to the non-offender's score.
    If the cue ball is pocketed or comes to rest off the bed of the table, it is handed to the non-offending player as "ball in hand" and played from the D.

Reds never get spotted back on the table, correct? If you pot a colour, but a red goes in on the same shot, the red stays down. Or if you pot a red and then the white on the same shot, or if the red goes in after the white goes in. The reds stay down?
    Reds are not spotted as they dont have a spot to go to
    All reds that go into a pocket in error or come off the table stay off the table for that game.

When you are down to playing just the colours, if you sink the wrong colour, it comes back on. What happens if blue is on, and it is potted, but then so is the white? Does the blue stay down? What if pink or black goes down after the blue, does the blue stay down?

Thanks in advance for these rudimentary questions.
    The blue is spotted and the cue ball goes "Ball in hand" to the non-offender to play from the D. Appropriate penalty points are added to the non-offender's score before playing the ball in hand.

If only the Black on the table, then the first pot (scoring shot) or foul on the black ends the game. The appropriate score or penalty points (7) are added to the appropriate score and the player with most points win.
    Last edited by DeanH; 21 June 2022, 08:05 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

No worries
        I wanted to ask what how old are the rules you have on the wall

Let us know how you get on.

Also, you have any photos of your table setup and what make etc of table?
        We love looking at people's tables

Comment

I know this will probably never happen but there is a situation where a red is placed back on the table after its been"potted". if you try to pot it and it stops right on the edge of the pocket and you walk away but as the next player is looking at what shot to play the red then topples into the pocket the ref picks it back out and places it back onto the edge of the pocket. As I say very unlikely to happen but interesting none the less, well to me anyway
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            I know this will probably never happen but there is a situation where a red is placed back on the table after its been"potted". if you try to pot it and it stops right on the edge of the pocket and you walk away but as the next player is looking at what shot to play the red then topples into the pocket the ref picks it back out and places it back onto the edge of the pocket. As I say very unlikely to happen but interesting none the less, well to me anyway
            You are right - this is the one of the two times a Red is replaced onto the table (not spotted)
            The other is when a Miss is called and all balls are replaced

Comment

The ball falling in the pocket when neither player is technically in play has happened I’m sure on tv at least once if I remember ,was a long time ago .

Comment

Could I jump in with another dump question? Brain a bit sluggish this morning. Black, pink, blue close together at black end and all potable. White in baulk after potting a red. I line up and feather the white. My intention was to pot the blue but I haven’t got round to nominating. Assume foul 7 away?

Comment

You are correct, the penalty points would be 7, whenever it is unclear as to which ball you are going for.

Hence the referee may ask for the player to declare so it is clear to the referee, opponent and audience know what should happen
                  Last edited by DeanH; 22 June 2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Thx Dean. What happens if I pot a red and then whilst trying to decide my next shot I accidentally touch the white or red or yellow or green or brown? I think in the club we always score four but maybe it should be seven as it’s the highest “ball on”.

Comment

Scenario 1 - you feathered the cue ball, no object ball hit, unknown value of ball on so highest possible, 7.
                      Scenario 2 - you hit an object ball, of known value, so that is the penalty.
                      Scenario 2a - if you had nominated the Blue or Pink or Black and then hit any other with cue or cue ball, value of Ball on would be the penalty.
                      Last edited by DeanH; 22 June 2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        Scenario 1 - you feathered the cue ball, no object ball hit, unknown value of ball on so highest possible, 7.
                        Scenario 2 - you hit an object ball, of known value, so that is the penalty.
                        Scenario 2a - if you had nominated the Blue or Pink or Black and then hit any other with cue or cue ball, value of Ball on would be the penalty.
                        Thanks. Scenario 1 covers the situation I was thinking of. No feathering of white involved. Clumsy sods just touch a ball when deciding on what shot to place. Normally having a rest and leaning on the table. Old timers like myself of course lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Thanks. Scenario 1 covers the situation I was thinking of. No feathering of white involved. Clumsy sods just touch a ball when deciding on what shot to place. Normally having a rest and leaning on the table. Old timers like myself of course lol.
                          Scenario 1 reflects your question in post 8 "and feather the white".
                          Scenario 2 and 2a from post 10.

I was just including it again for clarification for scenario 2
                          Last edited by DeanH; 22 June 2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            No worries
                            I wanted to ask what how old are the rules you have on the wall

Let us know how you get on.

Also, you have any photos of your table setup and what make etc of table?
                            We love looking at people's tables
                            The rules sheet was ordered in Jan 2019, so I presume it was current.

My table is a 10 foot Prestige by Canada Billiards. Could not fit a 12 foot in the space.

I'm not sure why I chose a photo with my English Billiards set, but I do have a proper set of snooker balls.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Nice table. Thx for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X