Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips

I have heard it mentioned that when some players put a new tip on their cue, they trim the depth down a bit. Do any of you do that or do you leave the full tip in place and just put a nice dome on it?

What adavantage is there by trimming it down?

I have just put a MW Super Tip on mine and it is just over 5mm in depth.

Thn=anks for any input.

again this comes down to personal preference

Welcome to the MW Super tip club

I do not trim or sand the tips down too much, only to get a flat and perpendicular bottom to take the glue - I have always preferred more thickness to my tip and keep them shaped (gentle curve - as if the same radius as a snooker ball - ish).

Other has asked me to remove most of the meat on a tip I am fitting for them, again - personal preference
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks dean. I intend to leave mine as is with just a nice dome 👍

Comment

I just flaten the base... but I do use quite hard tips (LePro) so they won't compress much anways... which I figure is the reason some people do trim their tips: to reduce any felt "spongeness"
        "That pocket moved!"

Comment

SO…..why do people trim their tips down? Is this to get a played in effect? Seems a bit pointless to me. Just shortens the life of the tip. Anyhow with a lot of the more modern tips they’re supposed to be ready for play right away. Maybe with an old Elk it needs a bit of work to get it playable. It’s probably just a habit for some folk……I’ve always done it this way.
          One of my mates still uses that glue where you have to mix two components together. Swears by it. Wouldn’t go near superglue gel. Each to their own.

Comment

For me the tips I use have too much depth and partly because it doesn't look right and partly because I think they play better I reduce the volume sanding the bottom of the tip in a figure of 8 motion too keep it level. I prefer to sand the bottom away and just shape the top with a slight dome so the integrity of the tip is maintained.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I've heard that cutting through a tip can damage how the tip feels and plays, I'm not certain how much truth is in that but I've read it in a couple of places. If I wanted to reduce the depth of a tip Id sand it down rather than cut through it just to be sure

Comment

Working...
              X