Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Mertens cue

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRp2U6QfK1AGZ5Vy5

His cue shaft is not made by one piece of wood, but layers merged together.
    How to call this?

It's called laminated cue.

Comment

Not all stories about them are good. https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...-falling-apart
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Not all stories about them are good. https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...-falling-apart
        Maybe using the wrong glue?
        +++

In late 90' I fixed over 10 John Parris red glue 3/4 cues, that their joins were loosed, just used some AA glue, problem solved. (there were only about 20+ JP cues sold to the snooker club at that time)

Comment

Ben is using his Peradon cue, he's obviously happy with it otherwise he'll be looking for a change, Hendry's cue was a cheap one too and it didn't stop him.

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
            Ben is using his Peradon cue, he's obviously happy with it otherwise he'll be looking for a change, Hendry's cue was a cheap one too and it didn't stop him.
            The Peradon Newbury isn't that cheap. About £450-500 new, which isn't much different to other cue maker's all ebony butt cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
              It's called laminated cue.
              In other words plywood
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Didn't work that well with split cane fishing rods either did it. Some people love them though.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Plywood, we can combine any material with wood.
                  A layer or two with metals, carbon fiber, plastic, empty space, tube of half filled mercury,...
                  Then we can have those benefits like low deflection, steady smooth motion with mercury..., and have a feeling of woods.
                  Can we?

Comment

I've got a nine ball cue which came with 2 laminated shafts. No problem with either, been using them for about 10 years. The advantage of making cue shafts this way is that if you buy 2 of the same shaft, they are much closer in how they play. I can't easily tell which shaft I'm using unless I'm trying out different tips on each. I'd rather invest an extra couple of hundred quid in a spare of a shaft that I like than have the prospect of buying a whole new cue if an idiot at the club knocks my stuff over.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Aren't the nine ball cues radially laminated like segments of a pizza? I think to get the arrow effect the snooker cues are layers like plywood.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Aren't the nine ball cues radially laminated like segments of a pizza? I think to get the arrow effect the snooker cues are layers like plywood.
                        I belive you are correct.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes, I think that's correct. It looks just like any other maple shaft though. Other than the Peradon looking more like a 'traditional' cue, I think they would have been better off doing the same.
                          Last edited by Mark187187; 19 February 2023, 09:58 PM.

Comment

With the exception that the grain goes the same way, in plywood it's opposed in order to give stength but in a cue shaft it would prove to be weak with the grain going across the shaft rather than down the length of it.
                            I fail to see the point of it to be honest, just more silver bullet low deflection bollocks for poor players who can't cue straight anyway, like Dr. Dave Altidore, the Sheldon Cooper of sidespin who has a stance like a giraffe taking a drink and has to prove his theories with shots into five inch wide pockets from two feet away, yet still bounces the cue ball
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

With the exception that the grain goes the same way, in plywood it's opposed in order to give stength but in a cue shaft it would prove to be weak with the grain going across the shaft rather than down the length of it.
                              I fail to see the point of it to be honest, just more silver bullet low deflection bollocks for poor players who can't cue straight anyway, like Dr. Dave Altidore, the Sheldon Cooper of sidespin who has a stance like a giraffe taking a drink and has to prove his theories with shots into five inch wide pockets from two feet away, yet still bounces the cue ball
                              "Stance like a giraffe taking a drink" probably the greatest line I have read on here​​​​​​. ​​​​​
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X