Best wood for a front splice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wood for a front splice?

Looking to gather thoughts on best single veneer and wood splice to go on an ebony butt. For me either sycamore/maple and tulip wood, or purpleheart and olive wood.

thuya burr or snakewood
    or my fav masur birch* my fav
    starts bright gold over time goes to burnished gold
    my avatar image is of my mini-butt of solid masur birch

*sometimes called karelian birch, iow masur tree coming from the karelian region.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Olive wood is very nice when new. Mines got a bit grubby after a while. Purple heart is nice. Difficult to decide as there’s so many to choose from and so many variations of the same wood. The butt is obviously the part that gets a lot of sweaty hands on so maybe going for a darker wood would be a good idea although some woods look better as they age. I’ve sold on my olive wood cue now. Wish I hadn’t. Was lovely. Had added a thin blue veneer. If you look at the Mastercraft Cues website they sell a cue called an Eclipse. Mine was similar with a blue veneer.

Comment

here is my snooker cue and marchign mini-butt
        Karelian Masur birch
        not the best photo, a bit dark than real-life

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          here is my snooker cue and marchign mini-butt
          Karelian Masur birch
          not the best photo, a bit dark than real-life

Wow looks great. My playing cue has the same birch I always wondered what your avatar was about.

Comment

Personal taste I guess, for me, single front splice of thuya burr on a thin 'white' veneer but I've never found one, not that I've looked that hard and I've come to prefer a plain ebony butt.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
              Wow looks great. My playing cue has the same birch I always wondered what your avatar was about.
              the avatar is the mini butt for my pool cue and is made off 100% masur brich and came from the same block of wood as the splices on my snooker cue and m-butt
              I did not know at the time of purchasing either cue but Dan told me one of the times I met up with him

Here is said pool cue and the mini-butt.

Griff1 - the front splice on the pool cue is Red Amboyna

Comment

the avatar is the mini butt for my pool cue and is made off 100% masur brich and came from the same block of wood as the splices on my snooker cue and m-butt
                I did not know at the time of purchasing either cue but Dan told me one of the times I met up with him

Nice looking cues.

Comment

It's down to preference really. I like birds eye maple, masur birch, tulip wood, plain black ebony among others.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                    It's down to preference really. I like birds eye maple, masur birch, tulip wood, plain black ebony among others.
                    LOL you are right, everything in snooker (cue sports generally) is down to personal preference!!!!

Comment

Looks lovely, though not sure I'd be laying a cue down on a paved drive 😱😱

Comment

Originally Posted by Griff1 View Post
                        Looks lovely, though not sure I'd be laying a cue down on a paved drive 😱😱
                        LOL that is what Dan did and I did ask him, he said he did it very getnly and never damaged any of his cues

Comment

A dark red padauk with a double maple veneer for me. I have one on my Peradon and it looks fantastic.
                          11.jpg
                          Dublin, Ireland • English pool (WPA)
                          PLAYING CUE (MAIN): Custom Jason Owen - #1384 (one-piece • 57" • 8.4mm • 17oz)
                          PLAYING CUE (BACKUP): Custom Peradon (one-piece • 57" • 8.7mm • 17.5oz)
                          BREAK CUE: Custom Jason Owen (one-piece • 58" • 10mm • 16oz)​

Comment

Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
                            A dark red padauk with a double maple veneer for me. I have one on my Peradon and it looks fantastic.
                            11.jpg
                            Lovely…… custom made.

Comment

Working...
                            X